Very Merry Muppet Christmas Revisited

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I decided to rewatch VMX for the holiday season, the last time I watched it was 2 years ago and back then I remember being a huge fan of it. But after watching it yesterday, I really don't get why I loved it so much, there was the nice muppet moment here and there but it was loaded with pointless celebrity cameos and pop culture references and by the "It's a Wonderful Life" bit it was really starting to bore me. I think I finally understand why people don't really like this one. Thoughts? What do you think of VMX?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Well, I think the reason why VMX is not as memorable as it once was five years ago is the dated references to crocodile Hunter, live-action grinch, and Moulin Rouge. Also I think 2011 movie was probably the better version of the script. Plus I think it as trying to be Scary Movie of the Muppets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The thing that bothered me the most about VMX was they brought in Simpsons writers who tried to give the movie Simpsons humor, which just doesn't blend well with Muppet humor. As we've discussed many times before, at length, on MC, the level of adult humor within the world of the Muppets has always been subtle and sophisticated to the point that it wasn't inappropriate for kids, but adults could certainly appreciate how tongue-in-cheek it was . . . VMX, on the other hand, the adult humor was a lot more blatant and obvious (again, do I have to keep bringing up the whole "Dot" club, such as Scooter cage dancing?).

That's just my main problem. Celebrities have always played a major part of Muppet movies, so that didn't bother me at all, but I'll agree the excessive use of pop culture references makes the movie remarkably dated. Then again, previous Muppet movies also have some dated material as well, such as Fozzie's uncle's Studebaker in TMM - Studebakers have long been discontinued.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The thing that bothered me the most about VMX was they brought in Simpsons writers who tried to give the movie Simpsons humor, which just doesn't blend well with Muppet humor. As we've discussed many times before, at length, on MC, the level of adult humor within the world of the Muppets has always been subtle and sophisticated to the point that it wasn't inappropriate for kids, but adults could certainly appreciate how tongue-in-cheek it was . . . VMX, on the other hand, the adult humor was a lot more blatant and obvious (again, do I have to keep bringing up the whole "Dot" club, such as Scooter cage dancing?).

That's just my main problem. Celebrities have always played a major part of Muppet movies, so that didn't bother me at all, but I'll agree the excessive use of pop culture references makes the movie remarkably dated. Then again, previous Muppet movies also have some dated material as well, such as Fozzie's uncle's Studebaker in TMM - Studebakers have long been discontinued.
The thing with TMM, GMC, or MTM is that sure they're dated but there's a sort of timeless feel to it. For VMX, it just feels dated in a bad way like that it's only a product of its time. I did like some muppet moments here and there but it just seemed off to me, don't know why I was such a huge fan back in 2013.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think the problem with VMX moreso is that they put too much emphasis on the pop culture references in an attempt to make the Muppets seem like they're "with the times," so to speak - previous Muppet movies weren't as reliant on them, nor were they hammered in; previous Muppet movies placed more focus on the stories and the characters, VMX placed too much focus on trying to be hip and edgy.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
There's only two things I like about the movie:
  1. Kermit having his tantrum.
  2. Kermit doing his Wembley Fraggle impression as he runs back to the theatre.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I decided to rewatch VMX for the holiday season, the last time I watched it was 2 years ago and back then I remember being a huge fan of it. But after watching it yesterday, I really don't get why I loved it so much, there was the nice muppet moment here and there but it was loaded with pointless celebrity cameos and pop culture references and by the "It's a Wonderful Life" bit it was really starting to bore me. I think I finally understand why people don't really like this one. Thoughts? What do you think of VMX?
I actually really like it. In fact I decided to watch it because I was reminded so much of that one after watching It's a Wonderful Life. It definitely had a lot of good moments, plus it has the distinction of being one of Jerry Nelson's last Muppet projects and the first movie where Eric took over as Frank's characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's only two things I like about the movie:
  1. Kermit having his tantrum.
That's actually another little detail I dislike about the movie. Yes, Kermit is prone to fly off the handle when the zaniness that surrounds him causes him to crack, but I felt like his tantrum in the movie was a tad over the top, even for him.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
That's actually another little detail I dislike about the movie. Yes, Kermit is prone to fly off the handle when the zaniness that surrounds him causes him to crack, but I felt like his tantrum in the movie was a tad over the top, even for him.
Well since Kermit seemed to be to the point of suicide-by-frogsicle, it's never seemed out of place to me.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well since Kermit seemed to be to the point of suicide-by-frogsicle, it's never seemed out of place to me.
One thing to keep in mind is that the movie is sort of a parody of It's a Wonderful Life so basically Kermit's tantrum is sort of referencing the George Bailey/Jimmy Stewart tantrum rather than Kermit being his real self when it happened. Just something to think about.