Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I doubt Sing is going to succeed. It looks like it's trying to ride the coattails of Zootopia, which could turn a lot of people off. Also, I really don't see how a singing competition will hold itself for 90 minutes.
To be honest, all talking animal films are riding the coattails of classic Disney and Warner Bros. I don't understand the logic here. In fact, I predict Sing could do very well. It's not my favorite idea, but I think it will resonate with viewers.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The only other new release, the musical throwback La La Land, is at a pathetic 15th place, though it's getting rave reviews, so that's definitely something they'll be gearing up for the Oscars.
Too bad, I was really looking forward to this movie even before the reviews. I guess the marketing just wasn't that strong.
Third time's the charm for Moana, while trailing close behind is Office Christmas Party.
I hope Rogue One does well (which i'm sure it will) but I hope it doesn't hurt Moana's numbers too much.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Too bad, I was really looking forward to this movie even before the reviews. I guess the marketing just wasn't that strong.
I only really see it getting a big marketing push around the Academy Award season, since this really feels like something that's there to win Oscars.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I only really see it getting a big marketing push around the Academy Award season, since this really feels like something that's there to win Oscars.
Yeah, you're probably right, it is almost award season again. The film's already been nominated for a bunch of Golden Globes. Judging by the trailers, I wouldn't be surprised if it got an Oscar for directing and probably something for Emma Stone.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I see we're now getting a movie about the Boston Bombing, and the trailers are even saying, "America needs this movie right now." Do we? Do we really need this movie right now? At a time when the country is at a new all-time low, we need a movie about a terrorist attack that only happened not too many years ago? Isn't that a tad insensitive?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Over the three-day Christmas weekend, Rogue One was still number one, yet runner-up Sing managed to do surprisingly well, breaking even and then some on its $75 million budget, way more so than the Chipmunks last year.

But then you have the Assassin's Creed movie, which wound up at a lowly 5th place and taking in a pathetic $15 mil. or so against a $125 mil. budget. And critics hate it, as well, garnering a 20% Rotten Tomatoes score.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2016&wknd=52a&p=.htm

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Sing debut at number 2, right under the new Star Wars, it's already made
$93,954,652 worldwide with a 72% fresh RT rating. It's a hit. :wink: