Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
But that wasn't the only surprise, look what else I got too:

Now, I'm not really one of those crazy collectors who are into all that NRFB stuff, but I'm tellin' ya, I'm debating on whether or not I should keep these things in their packages, because Muppet stuff like this is so hard to come by, and I really wouldn't want anything to happen to them. . . . what do you guys think?
That's something i've been struggling with as well this year. I got this Fourth Doctor from "Doctor Who" Funko Pop figure today and it's so well made, I wanted to take it out of the box, but I wasn't sure if I should.

I say take them out if you really want to, but put them back in the box as soon as you're done and make sure you store 'em in a safe place.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Apparently Festivus Miracles are real, look what I got this year:

I didn't even know these things existed, so these were quite a surprise. Interestingly enough though, Kramer is the only regular of the main four they made for the set (apparently, Jerry Seinfeld, Jason Alexander, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus wouldn't agree to license their likenesses for these things).
The Newman figure looks like a cross between Peter Griffin and Hank Hill.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They all have kind of a weird, dead-eye look about them - especially Peterman. Something tells me these Vinyl Idolz people should be given a crash course in the Magic Triangle for better eye focus, lol.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
They all have kind of a weird, dead-eye look about them - especially Peterman. Something tells me these Vinyl Idolz people should be given a crash course in the Magic Triangle for better eye focus, lol.
Yeah, their eyes do look a little odd, but I like that the figures have a cartoon-ish quality to them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I mean if they went for the uncanny approach like they did with the Ernest P. Worrell doll, that'd be a little too freaky:

Even Jim Varney was freaked out by this thing - so much so, in fact, that when somebody gave him one, he kept it tied up and locked in his closet! :laugh:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I mean if they went for the uncanny approach like they did with the Ernest P. Worrell doll, that'd be a little too freaky:

Even Jim Varney was freaked out by this thing - so much so, in fact, that when somebody gave him one, he kept it tied up and locked in his closet! :laugh:
Sheesh, as if the real thing wasn't creepy enough. *shudders

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently a poll was conducted for the top three worst Christmas songs ever:

1. "Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer"
2. "I Want a Hippopatomus for Christmas"
3. "The 12 Days of Christmas"

As far as the first goes, ehh, don't really bother me too much, though I'm more partial to some of Dr. Elmo's other songs, such as "Redneck Dracula." The second one? Yeah, I can see how that one can get a little annoying (and who wants a hippo for Christmas anyway?). The last, again, doesn't bother me too much (especially not when John Denver and the Muppets sing it), but Allan Sherman's parody version is pretty funny!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Apparently a poll was conducted for the top three worst Christmas songs ever:

1. "Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer"
2. "I Want a Hippopatomus for Christmas"
3. "The 12 Days of Christmas"

As far as the first goes, ehh, don't really bother me too much, though I'm more partial to some of Dr. Elmo's other songs, such as "Redneck Dracula." The second one? Yeah, I can see how that one can get a little annoying (and who wants a hippo for Christmas anyway?). The last, again, doesn't bother me too much (especially not when John Denver and the Muppets sing it), but Allan Sherman's parody version is pretty funny!
That reminds me, the Rap Critic (basically the Nostalgia Critic or Nostalgia Chick but for music) had a list of top annoying Christmas songs, with "12 Days of Christmas" and "I Want a Hippo for Xmas" being on it. It also goes into why "Do They Know it's Christmas" is kind of a terrible song. And yeah, I kind of agree with him. It wasn't until about a couple years ago that the song started bothering me. It's so contradictory and unintentionally racist. And that one line "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you" has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Schfifty

Reaction score
It also goes into why "Do They Know it's Christmas" is kind of a terrible song. And yeah, I kind of agree with him. It wasn't until about a couple years ago that the song started bothering me. It's so contradictory and unintentionally racist. And that one line "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you" has always rubbed me the wrong way.
It's not too terrible of a song. Yeah, it's supposed to raise awareness of nations not getting enough gifts and support for Christmas and encouraging us to help them instead of celebrating the holiday, but it's important to care about other nations in poverty. And maybe it's just the sound of 80s music, but I like hearing the song when it comes on. I can see why it can be controversial, though.

Also, no mention of "Christmas Shoes"?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That reminds me, the Rap Critic (basically the Nostalgia Critic or Nostalgia Chick but for music)
Ah yes, there's even a Nostalgia Christian: he basically completely rips off Nostalgia Critic to the point of the exact same wardrobe and exact same review format, only reviews Christian shows and movies, and he doesn't have meltdowns and swears like the Critic does, which makes him really bland and boring.
"Do They Know it's Christmas" is kind of a terrible song. And yeah, I kind of agree with him. It wasn't until about a couple years ago that the song started bothering me. It's so contradictory and unintentionally racist. And that one line "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you" has always rubbed me the wrong way.
While I like the song myself (like Schfifty says, I think part of it is because of a partiality to 80s much), I agree there are certain lines and lyrics that I do think are a little unintentionally insensitive, and that's one of them. "There won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime" seems a tad unnecessary too.
Also, no mention of "Christmas Shoes"?
Believe it or not, I haven't that one at all this year: not on the radio, not on Comcast's Sounds of the Seasons channel, not once. There's a lot of traditional Christmas songs that didn't get much attention this year - there seemed to be a greater focus on more modern Christmas tunes this year from the likes of Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Meghan Trainor, Ariana Grande, Kelly Clarkson, Carly Rae Jepsen, Bubbly Mikey Pizza Crust . . . 2016 seemed to be the Year of Pentatonix Christmas.