How to start making puppets?

Hobblesnitch

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im out of my element, I am a cartoonist, and for fun I wanted to make a puppet of my character NORM, The problem is head is shaped differently then what I would use to make a puppet. (Never made one before) but How can I make a pattern? or make his head have the shape the way I created him. And the cartoon for my avatar is Norm. Please help me guys. I don't want to spend my money( as little as I have) and waste it cause I try to do something new.
Thanks guys
Kevinn
aka
abnormtoons
Hey Kevinn,

The way I make a pattern is by building the head shape first. You can shape it out of foam or make a smaller figure out of clay. Once you have your shape, pin sheets of felt onto it. Making sure all the pieces are flat. If there are any creases or folds, smooth them over and cut them away. These will become darts when you sew. Unpin all your pieces and there’s your pattern!

I have a photo in this thread.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/threads/fozzie-bear-replica.61384/

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I guess when it gets right down to it, everyone has their own way of building puppets. for example most people would use 3D Models or draw Patterns from Scratch

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
Hi friends:
Does anyone know if some muppets use another kind of fleece than Antron? I feel that characters like Bunsen have a softer texture than Kermit. Is it maybe the reverse side of Antron? Or, can the fleece be shaved?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Antron fleece can be shaved - and usually is - and it also used to be manufactured in different weights, some with a higher pile (essentially, thicker) than others. That might be the difference you've noticed.

It's also worth noting that in the 1970s, some of the Muppets were carved foam that was then covered in a fine lint like material called Flock. Others were made from sheets of reticulated foam that was dyed rather than covered in fleece. Later, many of the characters like Miss Piggy that were originally carved were sculpted and made in molds, then flocked. Today almost all of the characters appear to be covered in some kind fleece or fur.

Sometimes, the same puppet can look entirely different when shot under different lighting conditions or at different times too.

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
Antron fleece can be shaved - and usually is - and it also used to be manufactured in different weights, some with a higher pile (essentially, thicker) than others. That might be the difference you've noticed.

It's also worth noting that in the 1970s, some of the Muppets were carved foam that was then covered in a fine lint like material called Flock. Others were made from sheets of reticulated foam that was dyed rather than covered in fleece. Later, many of the characters like Miss Piggy that were originally carved were sculpted and made in molds, then flocked. Today almost all of the characters appear to be covered in some kind fleece or fur.

Sometimes, the same puppet can look entirely different when shot under different lighting conditions or at different times too.

Thanks for the answer, Buck! Yes, I know that Miss Piggy is flocked, and her structure is made of latex foam by molds. However I can see that some muppets who are not flocked or devoid of upholstered look softer than others. I´m talking about the last version of them. I know they've changed a lot through time. For example, Dr. Teeth's head shape has been changing, and it no longer presents the exposed foam, it's covered by green fleece. He started as a rod puppet and had four fingers in each hand, now he has glove hands with five fingers to better could play the organ keyboard. Many of them have changed not only clothes or notorious details, but shapes. Thanks again!

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
This is the puppet I'm working on. I still look forward to working with the corresponding materials, but I don't get them easily where I live, Rosario city (Argentina). At the moment, this character uses a generic fleece (I couldn't get Antron), the upholstery of his mouth is foamy and his tongue is a fleece that is known here as pañolenci, a kind of
wool, harder than the fleece. It has spoon eyes with felt tip pupils. I need to hide the birth of eyebrow hair. I think I'm going to sew the visible edge. And here comes another of my problems, the difficulty to find fur, ostrich feathers and other textures for the skin.

http://picpaste.com/pics/en_proceso_-_16-02-12_005-wg6lqCMP.1484670040.jpg

https://postimg.org/image/rn6yi7nzd/

https://s28.postimg.org/4lqdcgobx/en_proceso_16_02_12_005.jpg

Last edited: