PBS launches first-ever national 24/7 PBS Kids Channel via broadcast OTA and on-line

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So this channel is weird because the format is squished to fit 4:3, yet 4:3 shows are still pillarboxed.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Checked the TV listings today and it looks like NHPTV does carry it.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I'm thinking, maybe they can have a night block for classic SST, Mr.Rogers and the original Electric Company. Maybe some early Barney and Between the Lions for the 90s-early 2000s kids.
Don't forget 3-2-1 Contact, Reading Rainbow (my most wanted), Square One TV, Ghostwriter...these are a few that stick out!

As for Classic Sesame, which seasons do you want it to be limited to?

ISNorden

Reaction score
I'd define classic Sesame Street as "Season 1 until Henson's death"; the show took its first dive after that. But yes, a general "vintage CTW" block that covered many shows would draw a lot of nostalgic adults in. Imagine TEC Mondays, 3-2-1 Contact Tuesdays, and so on...

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Don't forget 3-2-1 Contact, Reading Rainbow (my most wanted), Square One TV, Ghostwriter...these are a few that stick out!
Yes, they have to have those too. Although, the problem is, 90s kids would've watched different shows (besides SST and Mr.Rogers) than the kids in the 70s and 80s. So they would have to figure out how to divide the shows if they were to air them.
As for Classic Sesame, which seasons do you want it to be limited to?
Very hard to say. As I said before, SST has been watched by multiple generations, so it would be hard to really decipher which episodes after the early 90s would count as classic. Some people consider seasons 30-32 classic, while others don't. I'd say anything from seasons 1 through 32, as most of the audience from that time is now around twenty and older.
I am with you on everything but Barney. Not my cup of tea. While we are thinking of classic PBS programs, I grew up in the 1960s and enjoyed watching The Friendly Giant.
Well, I only say Barney because of the nostalgia factor, i'm not really a fan otherwise.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Just called my cable company; Charter's not carrying PBS Kids. *sigh*

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So this channel is weird because the format is squished to fit 4:3, yet 4:3 shows are still pillarboxed.
The PBS Kids Channel is in widescreen. If it's being broadcast in 4:3, then that's a decision of the local affiliate.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Just called my cable company; Charter's not carrying PBS Kids. *sigh*
Well, they said that the channel will be available in some areas in January and some later in the year. So maybe you'll get the channel eventually.