New Mickey Mouse Shorts Announced

mr3urious

Reaction score
A little off-topic, but did anyone have a chance to watch Roadster Racers yet? Honestly, I was worried about this new racing-themed preschool endeavour being like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with a huge emphasis on faux interactivity like Dora the Explorer, but thankfully, it treats itself like a cartoon rather than a plodding educational game, just like almost all other Disney Junior shows nowadays. The CG is amazingly expressive for a TV show, too, with lots of squash-and-stretch applied to the characters and vehicles. And that's very important when you want to do slapstick.

The only thing I'm worried about is if this would lead to the cancellation of the new shorts or would mean Mickey would return to being just a preschool icon. Hopefully not, and MatRR can co-exist peacefully.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
A little off-topic, but did anyone have a chance to watch Roadster Racers yet? Honestly, I was worried about this new racing-themed preschool endeavour being like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with a huge emphasis on faux interactivity like Dora the Explorer, but thankfully, it treats itself like a cartoon rather than a plodding educational game, just like almost all other Disney Junior shows nowadays. The CG is amazingly expressive for a TV show, too, with lots of squash-and-stretch applied to the characters and vehicles. And that's very important when you want to do slapstick.

The only thing I'm worried about is if this would lead to the cancellation of the new shorts or would mean Mickey would return to being just a preschool icon. Hopefully not, and MatRR can co-exist peacefully.
Preschool shows seem to really be hitting a whole new level of quality. The show's on Disney Junior are trying harder than ever to be good, the shows on Nick Jr. have actually been entertaining and funny, big names in animation like Craig Bartlett and Joe Murray have started doing shows on PBS Kids.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. After all, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the new shorts have coexisted for over three years. And there have been rumors for a while that Mickey may be getting a movie, although I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
They're still doing more shorts, as far as I know (I'm pretty sure they're doing a half-hour Halloween special like the "Duck the Halls" one).

Plus, these are airing on two different channels, right? Not much interference.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Roadster Racers is a big improvement over Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

I also love that Roadster Racers is even including characters that were previously excluded from Clubhouse, like Horace Horsecollar, Clara Cluck, Jose Carioca and Panchito.

C to the J

Reaction score
Roadster Racers is a big improvement over Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
I couldn't agree more. The animation and visuals look much better. They have Bret Iwan performing Mickey, too. I often wondered why the executive-produced-by-Paul-Rudish shorts had Chris Diamantopoulos (try saying that five times fast) perform Mickey... Maybe because Bret thought the way some of the shorts played out seemed kind of weird? IMO, some shorts and moments would make that '90s Disney cartoon Shnookums and Meat look tamer in comparison. Heck, there are even moments that make the shorts weirder than Uncle Grandpa, which I still enjoy.

Back to MatRR, for some reason, Tony Anselmo's not performing Donald in the cartoon. I guess that's due to his involvement in the new DuckTales.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. The animation and visuals look much better. They have Bret Iwan performing Mickey, too. I often wondered why the executive-produced-by-Paul-Rudish shorts had Chris Diamantopoulos (try saying that five times fast) perform Mickey... Maybe because Bret thought the way some of the shorts played out seemed kind of weird? IMO, some shorts and moments would make that '90s Disney cartoon Shnookums and Meat look tamer in comparison. Heck, there are even moments that make the shorts weirder than Uncle Grandpa, which I still enjoy.

Back to MatRR, for some reason, Tony Anselmo's not performing Donald in the cartoon. I guess that's due to his involvement in the new DuckTales.
They went with Chris to give the cartoons a little more of an old-school sound.

And I watched a bit of the Roadsters and had no idea that wasn't Tony doing Donald until I looked it up. DuckTales is no doubt a factor.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Newsflash: the fourth season of the Mickey shorts will be premiering on June 9th.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Newsflash: the fourth season of the Mickey shorts will be premiering on June 9th.
It's gotten a 4th season?

Source, please. If this is true, then it's great to see Disney still caring about the shorts rather than completely making Mickey back into a preschool franchise.