Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oscar contender Hidden Figures stayed at the top this weekend, while fellow contender La La Land has rocketed up to 2nd place from last week's 5th, and Sing followed closely behind. Meanwhile, Monster Trucks can be considered a rightful flop, winding up in 7th place with about $10 million to its name.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=02&p=.htm
Great to see La La Land finally getting more exposure due to the award season. I'm glad to see Hidden Figures getting so much attention as well, it's actually doing a little better than I originally expected.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So PETA is all butthurt over this A DOG'S PURPOSE movie, big shock. But after seeing more trailers for the movie today . . . isn't this basically just HOMEWARD BOUND but with one dog instead two dogs and a cat?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So PETA is all butthurt over this A DOG'S PURPOSE movie, big shock. But after seeing more trailers for the movie today . . . isn't this basically just HOMEWARD BOUND but with one dog instead two dogs and a cat?
Seeing a different trailer for this movie makes it even more confusing, because this trailer seems to suggest that someone a man keeps getting reincarnated as a different dog? I think? I don't know, I'm just really confused.

But once again, I think Hollywood is being a little too insensitive right now: first, they come out with that PATRIOT'S DAY just a few years after the Boston Bombing actually happened, and when America's going through a rough stretch . . . now here comes a movie about the Great Wall of China when Trump is talking about building a wall between us and Mexico? Come on, they're doing this crap intentionally.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Haven't seen it, but the gist is that a dog gets re-encarnated as other dogs until he finds his original master, I guess.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like I said in my previous post, that's what I gathers (for the most part) from a different, more recent trailer I saw.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So M. Night Shyamalan's Split is at the top for the 2nd weekend in a row (and is getting positive reviews, amazingly enough), while A Dog's Purpose sits in a comfy 2nd place. Despite all the controversies over alleged animal abuse, it came out fairly unscathed.

And then there's Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. With a 4th place opening and the lowest of all 6 films (!) in the series, it better the heck be final. :rolleyes:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=04&p=.htm

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I'm seeing trailers for this JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2. When was there ever a Chapter 1? Who is John Wick anyway?