And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, and here's a little somethin' extra too: like Pig's Laundry says, this is all based on observation from reaction on social media - "left-leaning news sites" have nothing to do with said observation, because I don't even follow or read "left-leaning news sites." In fact, whenever I post a link to something (again, based on social media reaction), I just link whatever the first source is in the feeds . . . but I suppose since none of these sources are Faux News (or Breitbart), they must be "leftist propaganda," since that seems to be the mindset of a majority of the right and Trump supporters in general: if it's not Faux News (which, arguably, is one of the most biased, one-sided, and pandering news sources out there) then it's "fake news." Much like how whenever Kellyanne Conway lies through her teeth, but she claims her lies are actually "alternative facts." Merriam-Webster even called her out on this: fact is fact, anything else is not fact, so just like how so-called "reverse racism" (which, again, is what a lot of these white Trump supporters are accusing black people of doing) doesn't even exist, because racism is racism, no matter who dishes it out, so too do "alternative facts" don't exist, because either something is a fact, or it's fiction.

That being said, yeah, one person's comment did confirm a suspicion I had . . . and if one person out there has that kind of mentality, surely others must as well, considering all of this backlash over "White Rights" and "White Privilege" being threatened by black people - there's got to be more to this backlash than meets the eye.

Again, when a loud and vocal majority act like this, it's not at all hard to generalize . . . much like it's probably not hard for some people out there to generalize the entire left as being a bunch of "delicate crybaby snowflakes" (and even I think a lot of the protests are really not accomplishing anything).

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I don't get it. How is he stereotyping? I didn't see anything to prove him wrong. It's true that some racists are attacking the show, seemingly without doing any research on it. And it's not hard to figure out that many of them are Trump supporters simply by viewing their Facebook, Twitter or Youtube page. Also, it's not hard to figure out that most racists voted for Trump. That doesn't mean that all Trump supporters are racists, but it seems pretty obvious that most racists seem to have voted for him.

And even if most of the show's detractors are not racist per say, they're still not right to jump to conclusions about the show when their's still such little information about it.

And another thing. Sadly, you don't have to go very far to find comments on the internet about the supposed "white genocide" and "black privilege". Some people hate the thought of diversity and having to look at things through another point of view. We wouldn't be talking about this if it wasn't more than just a few people.

Now, this is just my perspective, but you don't seem to be as tolerant and unbiased as you make yourself out to be.
Hey Pig's Laundry - didn't you say before that you're black / African American? I'm curious to hear your stance on the racism issue. (I really don't know what's gonna sound racist so have both terms. :stick_out_tongue: )

Honestly, racism is something I've long been trying to understand. A lot of racism I've seen over the years has come from both blacks and whites - proof that we're all equal.

Honestly, I see it as this: each human being is a born racist. It's what we do with that racism that determines whether we stay a racist or not. A white guy shooting up a church of black people because they're black is racist. However, a black guy mingling with white guys and vice versa - that's not a racist. We all have a little racism inside us - it's what we do with that racism that determines how we approach the issue.

Not sure if that made sense to you guys, it does to me but then my thoughts are always strange ones. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I am reminded of the backlash against MTV's ill-fated "Hello fellow white guys" video. Mind you, the backlash didn't just come from the alt right, but from left leaning networks like MSNBC as well. Progressives (such as those who made that video) can be quite tone deaf at times (such as when they lost this past election). They don't know how to reach out to the public without insulting them in the process. They need to understand they don't have a monopoly on tolerance anymore than the right has one on morality. Their understanding of diversity is too often only skin deep, literally. At some point, they do need to find a way to live with the conservatives, as well as moderates who aren't hard line either way. They can't treat them like perpetual boogey men forever, it's getting ridiculous. We will never move forward that way.

Of course, I'd have to give the show a chance first before judging it.

Remember what Maya Angelou once said: children are not born into hatred, they are taught to hate.
Maya Angelou was awesome, but I admit to having a somewhat more cynical pov, heh. I don't think children are necessarily born with empathy. They need to be taught that.

A little disappointing that you guys have gone back to picking at each other.

Last edited:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey Pig's Laundry - didn't you say before that you're black / African American? I'm curious to hear your stance on the racism issue. (I really don't know what's gonna sound racist so have both terms. :stick_out_tongue: )

Honestly, racism is something I've long been trying to understand. A lot of racism I've seen over the years has come from both blacks and whites - proof that we're all equal.

Honestly, I see it as this: each human being is a born racist. It's what we do with that racism that determines whether we stay a racist or not. A white guy shooting up a church of black people because they're black is racist. However, a black guy mingling with white guys and vice versa - that's not a racist. We all have a little racism inside us - it's what we do with that racism that determines how we approach the issue.

Not sure if that made sense to you guys, it does to me but then my thoughts are always strange ones. :stick_out_tongue:
I have to agree with you on the issue of race. To be quite honestly I've mostly been around white people my whole life.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To be quite honestly I've mostly been around white people my whole life.
That in itself is not a crime and should not be vilified. Black people grow up mostly around other black people, and tend to hang out with other black people. And we don't say that's wrong. What's wrong is when you never have exposure to different ideas. That's where both conservatives and liberals continually come up short.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I appreciate you wanting to get my pov, I really do. You've been incredibly kind to me recently, and i'm very happy that we've grown closer in the past month or so. However, I should stay away from any controversial topics such as this one.

I will say, however, that on the surface, you wouldn't think that prejudice would be as divisive at it is. But it is incredibly complicated. That is to say, people have so many varying opinions on who is racist, what counts as racist, how we should deal with racism, etc. But I think we can all agree the racism sucks and it should end, or more conceivably, at least become a smaller issue.

But, racism is there, sometimes in ways we don't even notice. And at times it does make me a little scared to even leave the house because some people who don't even consider themselves racist have unintentional biases. They don't necessarily hate other races, but sometimes not being exposed to something can cause you to stereotype and be afraid. I'm always a little self conscience, wondering, "would she have said that to me if I looked different?" or "is she talking to those kids a little bit differently than she is me?"

As a person of color, you're always taught you have to do better than everybody else to be seen as even half as good as them. So, it's just something you carry with you, the need to show people that you're good enough, or to prove to people that you're "non threatening" by the way you talk or dress.

And, I think seeing all that goes on in the world really inspires me to want to write more stories about important issues that face marginalized groups because not only can media depictions change people's attitudes, but it can also empower other people to go out and succeed in life. It can show people that they're not alone in their struggles, but also help them to fight to get out of the circumstance that they're in. Because, I know for a fact that people that I know personally have been told that they're not smart enough because they're black, or because they're female, or whatever it is.

I kind of feel like being a POC can be a bit of a burden. But I also feel like it's my born responsibility to help do something about these problems since i've witnessed them first hand. And it's also my responsibility, as it is any informed person's, to help educate other people about these issues.

Whoa, that post was way longer than I intended :stick_out_tongue:. Well, as you can see i'm very passionate about this sort of thing.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
A long post, but a very informative one. It's nice to see it from a person who's been there, rather than people who will likely never understand.

I for one can't understand it all and likely never will, being from a white, well-to-do middle class family, but your post has helped a lot. So thank you.

And, I think seeing all that goes on in the world really inspires me to want to write more stories about important issues that face marginalized groups because not only can media depictions change people's attitudes
The only thing I'm motivated to do is write a good mystery novel but every time I try it I always fail, but anyways back on topic... :stick_out_tongue:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Don't you ever get tired of throwing shade and blame at the other side? That's what all of you do: you guys say and do these racist things, then you blame the other said for the things you say and do to relieve yourselves of your own responsibilities. You can blame me for generalizing all you want, but this is what the majority of reaction to this new show is: Trump supporters crying reverse racism and whining about their "White Rights" and "White Privilege" being threatened -- it's kind of hard not to generalize when this is what a majority acts like . . . how does that make me "wrong"? Are you the only one who didn't learn anything last month?
What was there to learn? That you continue to make broad generalizations based on political party? The truth of the matter is that racism still exists in many forms across America. But one political party doesn't have a monopoly on it as you would believe. Studies have shown that racism exists pretty much equally regardless of party. It is true that there are more differences across party lines on policy questions such as on affirmative action, again with a mix in both parties but with more Republicans than Democrats opposing. I don’t consider these types of policy preferences to be grounds for calling someone a racist, however.

It is undeniable that some Americans are racist but racists split about evenly across the parties. No party has a monopoly on racists. Trump supporters are not the only American's that are racists but every time you point out a racist comment you group all Trump supporters in with it.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
That being said, yeah, one person's comment did confirm a suspicion I had . . . and if one person out there has that kind of mentality, surely others must as well, considering all of this backlash over "White Rights" and "White Privilege" being threatened by black people - there's got to be more to this backlash than meets the eye.

Again, when a loud and vocal majority act like this, it's not at all hard to generalize . . . much like it's probably not hard for some people out there to generalize the entire left as being a bunch of "delicate crybaby snowflakes" (and even I think a lot of the protests are really not accomplishing anything).
I suggest you quit getting all of your news from on-line articles and the comments section of those articles. Comments to on-line articles bring out the worst in people and do not AT ALL represent true America. It's very easy to say or type inflaming things on the internet. Get out in real life and talk to people. I know lots of Trump supporters. Not a single one of them do I consider racist or even remotely racist. Not a one! I have never heard anything from them that would lead me to believe they are racist. I have not seen a single action from them that would lead me to believe they are racist. But you would lead people to believe that Trump supporters are racist and they hold the majority of racist views in society. Far from the truth. Racism exists equally across political parties.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I do think it is a little unfair to label someone a racist just because of there choice of political parties. Sure no party may act more racist then the other, but not everyone is a raciest. I'm sure that there are some on both sides of the political world. They may be harder to find, but they are there.

I think that this is not an issue about one race or another, but just a plain issue of hate and pride. People seem to believe that if there is anything different about someone else that that person is wrong, and therefore you must hate that person because they are different then you, or go against what you believe. There is a big word that a lot of people have seem to forgotten, and that word is comprise. No one is going to agree with you on everything you believe, or how you live your life. So sometimes you have to find ways to live in peace with your fellow man and even though you may disagree with them, you do not have to hate them or say mean and hurtful things to, or about them.
I mean isn't that the whole message of Fraggle Rock?