The Chipmunks

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wellp, ALVINNN's been renewed for two more seasons, which means that we'll have the same number of episodes as the 80s series had, even though their seasons were shorter and went on for more years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've made an observation about ALVINNN that, unlike previous incarnations of the Chipmunks, this one is clearly set within its own, self-contained universe, whereas previous ones were actually more grounded in reality.

By that, I mean, in previous incarnations, the Chipmunks actually mingled with, or at the very least acknowledged the existence of actual, real-life celebrities: in the 60s, they put out an entire Beatles cover album; in the 80s, they had a crossover with Mr. T, sang with Dolly Parton, Alvin danced with Michael Jackson, Eleanor discussed Cher's love life; that Rockin' Through the Decades special had all kinds of celebrity guests; and even that "Chat with Alvin" track mentions Alvin was interviewing Ross only because others like Tom Cruise, Cindy Crawford, Jim Carrey, Alanis Morrissette, and whoever else were unavailable. Not to mention there was also that episode about the Berlin Wall!

ALVINNN, on the other hand, has generally avoided all of that. In fact, they've sort of gone the SST route in using generic, parody stand-in names for actual celebrities instead (such as "Lady Rah-Rah" mentioned in passing on occasion). Though, there was that one occasion where Alvin and Brittany were competing against each other to win an opportunity to meet Princess Kate - that may or may not count as an exception, but it's never explicitly explained if it's the actual Duchess of Cambridge, or an in-universe princess who happens to be named Kate.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know I've brought this up before, but the recent string of new episodes is really driving it home moreso than ever - I'm starting to feel like ALVINNN is turning into an ED, EDD N EDDY-esque show in that almost all of the supporting characters are just flat-out unlikeable. Aside from the bullies (Derek and his posse, Bocarter the spoiled rich kid) the others barely have any redeeming qualities - Miss Croner suffers from Depending On What Kind of Mood Janice Karman's In As A Writer as to whether she's a Misunderstood Loner With A Heart Of Gold, or a Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk. Miss Smith is particularly bad: not only was it pretty unfair of her to threaten to cancel the entire school dance just because Alvin and Derek were fighting, but verbally punishing Brittany for injuring her leg was unnecessarily harsh and unsympathetic.

But that in and of itself was an example of just how much Brittany has developed over the years, sneaking into school every night and cleaning up Jeanette's mess behind her back in spite of her injury . . . had this been the 80s cartoon, not only would Brittany had just let the messes pile up and not give a care, but she certainly wouldn't have taken on a position with so much responsibility in the first place.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It feels like ALVINNN is already recycling its own plots over and over, because apparently an upcoming new episode has a plot that involves a video going viral . . . which has already been done twice: first with Theodore posting his new original song on a YouTube expy going viral and launching a successful act for himself; then there was the Chipettes posting that video of the Chipmunks being scared by a horror movie going viral and humiliating them for it. Now, apparently, we'll be getting an episode where the Chipettes post a video that goes viral and the Chipmunks try to top them.

Kind of feels like it was becoming an every single thing on SST with a chicken mistaking Rocco for an egg trying to hatch it.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Kind of feels like it was becoming an every single thing on SST with a chicken mistaking Rocco for an egg trying to hatch it.
Oh, I completely forgot about that! I remember, even at four years old I was confused as to whether I was seeing the same episode over and over again. I guess it was the writers attempt at a running gag that just ended up not working.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A few more synopsis for upcoming new episodes have been revealed today, and honestly, they all sound like more rehashes of old cartoon tropes: pulling the fire alarm, Rashomon (the 80s cartoon did this twice), finding a treasure map, wishing on a shooting star. . . .

There's even going to be a Freaky Friday Flip episode, but, with a twist: one of the Chipmunks will switch bodies with one of the Chipettes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Uh-oh. Looks like certain countries, like the U.K., are starting to dump ALVINNN on Nicktoons . . . that's not a good sign. . . . :smirk: