Sesame Street Episode 847 with Margaret Hamilton

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Okay, so I was looking for images of this episode, and look at this hilarious typo I found:

Well, I can certainly imagine some parents not letting their kids go to this show after this article.

gravy

Reaction score
Hm. I waited some months and no reply from Caroll. Well, time to send another letter!

derpmaster23

Reaction score
I recently saw a clip of the Mr Rogers episode with Margret in it, I can see why that went well since she only put on the witch suit but didn't have the green makeup on her. Still even with the test screenings after they should stop being so shy about releasing the episode. It's not like this episode is so **** terrible like Song of the South.

gravy

Reaction score
I assume my letter will come back sometime in June or July when this thread is 1 year old, but since I live 2 hours away from NYC then it should come faster.

mariolover

Reaction score
I'm sure someday, hopefully not too far away, this episode will become available for us to see. This whole ordeal reminds me of the one Dexter's Lab episode that was banned from television, and a lot of fans were moaning and dying to see it, but Adult Swim finally released it online a few years ago. I bet #0847 will show up for the public sometime...I think we're just gonna have to be patient for now. Somebody in the powers that be will make an official decision at the right time.

I mean, they didn't, like, destroy the master reel for the episode, did they? I certainly hope not...
I highly doubt that they destroyed the master reel for the episode. I understand most of you guys don't believe in psychic stuff, and I respect that even though I do believe in it because I respect other people's opinions, and I probably shouldn't have opened you guys up on my conversation with the psychic because most people disagreed with me. But that's not important. Anyway, let's get to the point. No matter what, I am 99.99% positive the episode is stored stored away in Sesame Workshop's vault. Maybe the episode is locked in a safe at the vault as I described earlier or maybe it's just sitting out in the open (I highly doubt the latter as Sesame Workshop is probably too uncomfortable to have it sitting out in the open so it's probably locked up somehow.). Either way, it's highly unlikely that Sesame Workshop will ever release this episode to the public due to the episode's extremely negative reception after it's initial airing. In a YouTube video uploaded a couple of months ago, somebody actually got in contact with somebody who works at Sesame Workshop requesting a private viewing of the episode and they responded saying "While we are thrilled that you are such a huge fan of Sesame Street, we are unable to accommodate personal viewing requests at this time. Sorry about that.". So you can tell by that comment that they obviously don't want anyone of the public to see it. And since Caroll is technically a member of Sesame Workshop, I highly doubt that he will accept requests for the episode's viewing either. So the only 2 ways I can think of this episode resurfacing is if someone who worked at the archives managed to sneak it out or if some random person has a Betamax recording of the episode, which is entirely possible as Betamax was invented in November 1975, a few months before the episode aired. Don't give up guys, there's still hope!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'll be quite honest, I don't think this episode is so special. Sesame has thousands of episodes that they haven't officially released. I'm sure this episode is stored away in the vault just like all the others. I don't think this episode is being hidden from the public, I just think SW has other concerns than releasing this one episode, just like they don't seem to be interested in releasing most of the older episodes. We have no reason to believe this episode or any other episode was deleted. We know that this episode was never re-aired because it didn't work, but I don't think this is the only episode that didn't re-air. Back in the day, the show had so many episodes in each season, that they probably couldn't have rerun a majority of them. In fact, it's been said that that's the reason the show used to have so many episodes, it was because they were not meant to be re-run in the first place.

mariolover

Reaction score
I'll be quite honest, I don't think this episode is so special. Sesame has thousands of episodes that they haven't officially released. I'm sure this episode is stored away in the vault just like all the others. I don't think this episode is being hidden from the public, I just think SW has other concerns than releasing this one episode, just like they don't seem to be interested in releasing most of the older episodes. We have no reason to believe this episode or any other episode was deleted. We know that this episode was never re-aired because it didn't work, but I don't think this is the only episode that didn't re-air. Back in the day, the show had so many episodes in each season, that they probably couldn't have rerun a majority of them. In fact, it's been said that that's the reason the show used to have so many episodes, it was because they were not meant to be re-run in the first place.
I personally believe every episode of Sesame Street (except for this one) have been run at least twice. How it worked in the old days was they ran the season once, and then 3 days after the season ended, they would replay the whole season (replaying all of the episodes in the same order as they were originally aired in) one more time (and then after that never again) before the next season premiere.

mariolover

Reaction score
If none of the episodes were lost, then how come episode 12 didn't manage to leak during the big leak of season 1 episodes (which obviously came from the archives because of the great quality) that happened a couple years ago? And also episode 1966 didn't make it to unpaved. These 2 instances make me wonder if a few of them got lost by accident.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's a fair assessment to make that they've probably lost a few shows here and there, especially from the early seasons. I doubt anything beyond the seventies is missing.