Sesame Street Season 47 Episode 4710 - Elmo Comes Clean

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4710 - Elmo Comes Clean
HBO Premiere: Saturday March 11, 2017
PBS Premiere: Monday January 8, 2018

Elmo keeps hiding from Nina because he wants more time to play before his bath, but Ernie helps him realize that he can play in the bathtub, too.

This episode features an all-new street story, a new "Rubber Duckie" celebrity montage and Elmo Word ("Bath Time").

If you saw "Elmo Comes Clean" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The big thing about this episode for me was the exclusion of a recurring segment (Smart Cookies, Super Grover 2.0, Murray Has a Little Lamb, etc.), because they were otherwise able to include a lot more in the half hour.

That being said, the street story was very reminiscient of Episode 2637/2916 from Season 21/23, in which Gina was babysitting Elmo and having trouble getting him to take a bath. Nice to see Ernie make an appearance in the street story, along with Big Bird and Oscar (both who now sound exactly the same as far as voices go).

I actually liked the Elmo's teeth-brushing hip-hop number - had quite a number of celebrity cameos like Bruno Mars, Nicole Kidman, and Wendy Williams, and others, not to mention this was the episode with the updated "Rubber Ducky" with Tori Kelly and some of the previously mentioned celebrities and more like James Corden, Mushroom Hair, James Derulo, and others.

We got both the new Letter/Number songs this time . . . but an old EW recycled . . . doens't make a whole lot of sense.

The remake of "Singing in the Shower" with Baby Bear and Elmo (which appears to have been from a previous season, since Baby Bear's showering in front of Elmo's old apartment) wasn't as catchy as the original, but it was nice just to see Baby Bear again.

I'd venture to say this was probably one of my top tier episodes of the season so far, if mainly because as I said, excluding one of the recurring segments gave us more other inserts to enjoy during the episode.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The cold open with Ernie was fun. The street story was pretty good. I noticed they used Caroll's Big Bird puppet even though he wasn't puppeteering. I liked that Rubber Duckie's cousin Bill has a mustache. It was interesting to see Brush Your Teeth from the 2012 Healthy Teeth initiative. Also the use of Singing in the Shower from 4229 was unexpected. The new version of Rubber Duckie was better than Daveed Diggs version. Billy sounded just like Jim when he sang it.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I noticed they used Caroll's Big Bird puppet even though he wasn't puppeteering.
In that case, I wonder if it was Matt puppeteering or someone else, since they normally use two different puppets for Matt and Caroll, I always assumed it's because they have different measurements, so i'm guessing maybe it wasn't Matt, unless they made some adjustments to the costume to fit him better.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
This is how I thought the new episodes would/should be formatted like; one long-form piece with a bunch of little segments.

Nice to see Ernie in action at last. Didn't expect to see those two random, re-used musical numbers, but I guess they didn't have much material of baths.

I dug the new "Rubber Duckie" montage. I hope they re-shoot the segment again so there's a definitive, HD version.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
In that case, I wonder if it was Matt puppeteering or someone else, since they normally use two different puppets for Matt and Caroll, I always assumed it's because they have different measurements, so i'm guessing maybe it wasn't Matt, unless they made some adjustments to the costume to fit him better.
I found an interview with Noel MacNeal where he said he filled in for Big Bird a few times on season 47 since Matt was in LA working on the Muppets ABC show. So it could have been him.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Prior to Matt, Caroll was considering Noel being his Big Bird understudy, but he apparently just couldn't quite get the voice right. Makes sense, Noel himself has a really distinct voice, and Big Bird's isn't an easy one to achieve.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Noel also has tons of experience large, full-body characters (BITBBH, Eureeka's Castle).