Now what's going on with YouTube?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've yet to figure out how to make videos automatically play HD. By default, videos will play at 360p for me, but if I select 720p (because, for some reason, the pixel resolution and playback quality is odd at 1080p in Opera) for one video, it will pretty much stay that way for all videos until I clear my cache and temporary internet files for the evening.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So with this new new new new new new new new design, we've essentially completely lost our channels altogether: basically, all our channels are are whatever featured video/channel trailer we have, a list of our playlists, and that's it. No cover art, no icon, no name, no description, nothing. Not even a subscribe button - the only way people can subscribe to a channel now is by clicking a subscribe button on a video page.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
So with this new new new new new new new new design, we've essentially completely lost our channels altogether: basically, all our channels are are whatever featured video/channel trailer we have, a list of our playlists, and that's it. No cover art, no icon, no name, no description, nothing. Not even a subscribe button - the only way people can subscribe to a channel now is by clicking a subscribe button on a video page.
Ridiculous is what I think of it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They already did away with a new feature (just like that pop-out player feature) where you could love and/or pin comments you like on your videos.

At least comments are in chronological order (newest first) again, that's something, but the display is so sloppy and unorganized . . . and it doesn't help that video descriptions themselves actually look like comments than descriptions.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why am I now getting subscription updates and recommendations from my own channel? What sense does that make? Can you even subscribe to yourself?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Why am I now getting subscription updates and recommendations from my own channel? What sense does that make? Can you even subscribe to yourself?
I don't think so, but i've seen channels that have liked their own videos, almost exclusively in fact.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Why do I still continue to get the same videos from channels I already watched?

Schfifty

Reaction score
I don't think so, but i've seen channels that have liked their own videos, almost exclusively in fact.
Yeah, you can't subscribe to your own channel at all. If you're searching and hover your own channel and get the tooltip, the Subscribe button is gone; likewise, if you're on your channel page, the button becomes transparent.

As for liking videos, yes, I really don't get that. I don't see a point in liking (or even favoriting) your own videos, that you've already seen, unless you have some sort of ego problem. I never favorite/like my own videos, because they're there for others to see and like.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The only time I ever like my own videos is if trolls start disliking for the sake of trolling - I try to even out the balance.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Well....this took me completely by surprise, but it looks like the channel page just got its first overhaul in quite a while.

It's "meh." Not much a fan of changing the avatars to circle borders, which Google probably did to be consistent with all its other services. I do like the new Dark Mode feature, which would be helpful when using YouTube at night. I often surf on YT at night in a dark room, so using this would be a benefit to the eyes.

There IS a button on the lower right to restore Classic YouTube, although Big Brother Google really wants you to explain why ( :rolleyes: ). Fortunately, there's "I prefer not to answer." Clicked it, and boom, back to Classic YouTube.

Anybody else get the new look? I have a feeling this'll eventually become permanent.