The Great Muppet Caper

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Just wanted to say, this movie is very special to me because it was the first Muppet movie I ever watched! I was four years old living in North Carolina. It was really the first time I had been exposed to the Muppets outside of Sesame Street. I mean, I had seen a few books with the Muppets in it already, but the movie was the first time I really got to experience what they were really like. I remember actually being a bit confused watching it because Kermit was on the video cover, so I thought it was a Sesame Street video at first. So, at first I didn't know what to make of it, but I quickly fell in love with the songs, the characters. I remember Animal was my favorite. I also remember finding it strange and interesting that the characters sounded like SST characters (Kermit sounded like Ernie, Miss Piggy sounded like Grover, Fozzie sounded like Bert, etc).

Old Thunder

Reaction score
What was your favourite song and moment?
Oh god... favorite song is probably "Hey! A Movie!". Favorite moment? Well there were lots of great ones but my favorites are probably the beginning (during opening credits and after them), Neville and his wife, and Peter Falk's "I know your whole story..." But all of it was great.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
***EPIC BUMP***

So I just watched The Great Muppet Caper for the first time tonight (I know, I'm really behind the times) and wow was it great. Lots of laughs, fourth wall breaks, and Muppety madness. All round great film.
Wow, you haven't watched it until now? Then again, I still never watched Letters to Santa or KSY. Yup, it's a great film. Easily my favorite muppet film of all time, it has such a nice muppety feel and I love all the fourth wall jokes and musical numbers. The break-in at the end is the best part though.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It looks like a fun movie, I'll watch it eventually.
It's somewhat enjoyable, as long as your expectations aren't too high. If you expect something as epic as Muppets Family Christmas you'd be sadly mistaken. However, you always get a sort of warm and fuzzy feeling when you get to see the Muppets spend the holidays together. Plus, it's got some nice Paul Williams tracks on it, so it's worth it if even just for that.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Little OCD correction - LTS was a TV special, not a movie - it runs a little less than 60 minutes. :wink:

Anyhow, I've always looked at LTS a little bit differently. At the time it came out, the Muppets were just starting to make a bit of a comeback, after a lengthy period of being in rather weak productions with material not really suited for them, followed by a lengthier period of next to nothing (at least it felt that way at the time).

Those Studio DC specials came out in the Summer of '08, and were a nice way of reintroducing the Muppets to the Disney Channel crowd. But they weren't really made for us fans. Web shorts started popping up online soon after - though admittedly, I didn't get a chance to see a lot of those during their initial release.

In comes LTS, which I felt was a step back in the right direction. It wasn't perfect, by any means. Especially when compared to later projects. But given what the Muppets had been doing in the previous year, it felt like a breath of fresh air at the time. The Muppets weren't being forced to emulate the Simpsons' humor, nor did they have the share the spotlight with marketing ploys/starlets. For me, it felt like they were doing Muppety things again.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Little OCD correction - LTS was a TV special, not a movie - it runs a little less than 60 minutes. :wink:

Anyhow, I've always looked at LTS a little bit differently. At the time it came out, the Muppets were just starting to make a bit of a comeback, after a lengthy period of being in rather weak productions with material not really suited for them, followed by a lengthier period of next to nothing (at least it felt that way at the time).

Those Studio DC specials came out in the Summer of '08, and were a nice way of reintroducing the Muppets to the Disney Channel crowd. But they weren't really made for us fans. Web shorts started popping up online soon after - though admittedly, I didn't get a chance to see a lot of those during their initial release.

In comes LTS, which I felt was a step back in the right direction. It wasn't perfect, by any means. Especially when compared to later projects. But given what the Muppets had been doing in the previous year, it felt like a breath of fresh air at the time. The Muppets weren't being forced to emulate the Simpsons' humor, nor did they have the share the spotlight with marketing ploys/starlets. For me, it felt like they were doing Muppety things again.
That's a good way of looking at it. Really, LTS, is the Muppets at their most basic, which is a smart way to introduce them to a new audience.