Now what's going on with YouTube?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well....this took me completely by surprise, but it looks like the channel page just got its first overhaul in quite a while.
You mean where you have no channel art, no channel icon, and no modules/sections, and all you have is your featured video, your playlists, and nothing else? Well, unfortunately, we were overdue for another unnecessary channel change anyway, they usually happen every couple of years: Beta/2.0 Channels in 2009, 3.0 Channels in 2011, then YouTube One Channels in 2013 . . . yeah, it was only a matter of time it happened again. And do you notice that each time they overhaul the channel design, they basically take more and more away to the point there's virtually nothing left? Remember when you used to be able to customize your channel design? Virtually the only customization we had left was our channel art and icon, and we don't even have that anymore.

There IS a button on the lower right to restore Classic YouTube, although Big Brother Google really wants you to explain why ( :rolleyes: ). Fortunately, there's "I prefer not to answer." Clicked it, and boom, back to Classic YouTube.
Thing of it is, the don't seem to understand what they even mean by "classic YouTube." This is "classic YouTube":

What they mean to say is "previous version of YouTube."
Anybody else get the new look? I have a feeling this'll eventually become permanent.
YT's been inconsistent with me. I've still been on the "classic" version for a while now, but there are certain days where they'll switch me to their new version, but by the end of the day when I clean out my cache and temporary internet files, it'll go back to "classic" the next day and stay that way for a number of days.

Certainly not looking forward to when the new design is permanent.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Well....this took me completely by surprise, but it looks like the channel page just got its first overhaul in quite a while.

It's "meh." Not much a fan of changing the avatars to circle borders, which Google probably did to be consistent with all its other services. I do like the new Dark Mode feature, which would be helpful when using YouTube at night. I often surf on YT at night in a dark room, so using this would be a benefit to the eyes.

There IS a button on the lower right to restore Classic YouTube, although Big Brother Google really wants you to explain why ( :rolleyes: ). Fortunately, there's "I prefer not to answer." Clicked it, and boom, back to Classic YouTube.

Anybody else get the new look? I have a feeling this'll eventually become permanent.
I also wonder if the restore youtube thing will either only be temporary or permanent as well.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Oh, jeez. You've gotta be kidding me. Now annotations are going to be retired this coming May in favor of cards and end screens, because they're supposedly outdated and not available on mobile devices, which is the most popular method of using YouTube nowadays.

So, um, how will I be able to make notices to viewers about certain things without having to resort to the description box or instilling them in the videos themselves? If a video's sound is off-sync for a brief portion of time, wouldn't it be neater to explain in an annotation than in the description box? How much of the time do average viewers even look at the whole description?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Why does YT have this new thing called More Videos now? It's starting to get really annoying already.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Fine with me, TBH. Annotations have annoyed the heck out of me in the past - particularly those who tend to abuse them by filling almost every square pixel of the video screen with pointless jabber: "DON'T FORGET 2 LIKE!" "DON'T FORGET 2 SUB!" "DO U LIKE THIS VID? GIVE IT A THUMZ UP PLZ!" "WANNA WATCH ANOTHER 1 ONE MY VIDS?!" In fact, annotations have almost become like those annoying graphic ads you see on TV that always take up the entire bottom third of the screen to hawk whatever other show is coming up next, or whatever product is sponsoring this broadcast, or a channel ID, etc. End screens are less invasive, less intrusive, less annoying, and you can navigate away from the video so you don't have to watch them (whereas annotations always had to be manually turned off on every video).

That's how I feel though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is anyone else really annoyed and irritated with how people will reply to your comments with absolutely nothing to say? They just repeat your name and that's it. Why do they do that? The latest craze now is when they reply with just one random letter (usually 'P').

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently there's a Spanish company now called Pongalo OO that's going around and dishing out copyright strikes on shows they don't even own, because they're trying to be Hulu in Latin American territories.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Is anyone else really annoyed and irritated with how people will reply to your comments with absolutely nothing to say? They just repeat your name and that's it. Why do they do that? The latest craze now is when they reply with just one random letter (usually 'P').
Yeah. I often get them on my videos and it's aggravating. They're either little children accidentally leaving comments from hitting random buttons on a mobile device, or they're bot accounts. Either way, I always delete those kind of comments.

Now what I want to know is, how do you get rid of channels that only repost other channels' videos? They're spam accounts for sure, and I don't see where you can report them as "this channel is stealing the videos of other channels and adding extra time to them," so is there a way?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah. I often get them on my videos and it's aggravating. They're either little children accidentally leaving comments from hitting random buttons on a mobile device, or they're bot accounts. Either way, I always delete those kind of comments.
I seem to especially see comments like that on Sesame Street videos. In fact, those nonsense comments are often the majority.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
HOLY ****!!!

In the last 24-hours, YouTube has wrongfully terminated a countless amount of channels for "multiple violations of community guidelines," among other crazy offenses . . . and a channel that I manage for another group was one of them! And practically the only activity I ever did with that channel since its inception a couple of months ago was the upload of one video, and transfer of ownership to the group's new Google account. No idea what "multiple violations" they're talking about, but I need to get this channel back up and running ASAP, because people are depending on me for it.