The Doctor Who Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
*takes a sip of coffee. sees someone else posted on this thread. does spit take.
Holy Mother of Flounder! *pinches self to make sure i'm not dream. I'm not.

Ouch.

I really wish we could get Moffat to leave...pity that Matt and Peter have had to slog through so many badly written eps, story arcs that never really resolved, etc. Curious to see what (who?) enters next.
Well, I never thought i'd be having a Moffat debate on Muppet Central:excited:.
He's actually leaving after this next season, so your wish has been granted.
Personally I don't hate Moffat, but yeah, I do agree that his story arcs seem to be too ambitious for him to wrap up. I mean, often times his most brilliant episodes are the ones that set up interesting stories (i.e. Day of the Doctor, Deep Breath, Dark Water, etc.) but the payoff is almost always disappointing. The sixth season was probably the worst for me, but the first five episodes of series 7 were good (the ones with Amy and Rory), but the rest of the season was pretty meh, save for The Snowmen. Journey to the Center of the TARDIS was awful! When series 8 started, I thought we were in for some much more mature, subtle, and dark story lines, but most of the episodes after Deep Breath were disappointing. But, personally, minus Clara's exit story, I think series 9 was a vast improvement, but was too RTD-ish for my taste. I mean, I love the RTD era, but series 9 played it too safe.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
*takes a sip of coffee. sees someone else posted on this thread. does spit take.
Holy Mother of Flounder! *pinches self to make sure i'm not dream. I'm not.

Ouch.

Well, I never thought i'd be having a Moffat debate on Muppet Central:excited:.
He's actually leaving after this next season, so your wish has been granted.
Personally I don't hate Moffat, but yeah, I do agree that his story arcs seem to be too ambitious for him to wrap up. I mean, often times his most brilliant episodes are the ones that set up interesting stories (i.e. Day of the Doctor, Deep Breath, Dark Water, etc.) but the payoff is almost always disappointing. The sixth season was probably the worst for me, but the first five episodes of series 7 were good (the ones with Amy and Rory), but the rest of the season was pretty meh, save for The Snowmen. Journey to the Center of the TARDIS was awful! When series 8 started, I thought we were in for some much more mature, subtle, and dark story lines, but most of the episodes after Deep Breath were disappointing. But, personally, minus Clara's exit story, I think series 9 was a vast improvement, but was too RTD-ish for my taste. I mean, I love the RTD era, but series 9 played it too safe.
Holy crap, a Whovian who remembers the RTD era! Yes, excellent comparison!

Yes. That's my beef with Moffat: he sets up intriguing arcs and then seems to forget all about them. If they're wrapped up at all, it seems an afterthought and vastly disappointing given the amount of energy that went into building them (the Silence, anyone? TARDIS exploding?). And there were so, SO many plot holes all through Matt's tenure. I liked his Doctor, but wished he'd been given better stories.

I love Capaldi's gruffness; he reminds me of Pertwee, who was my first Doctor and my favorite (until Tennant arrived). Didn't like Clara at all until Capaldi took over...she just seemed like a pointless character. But the storylines with
Danny Pink were good, and I actually dig Missy (though no one, but NO one, comes close to Delgado as the Master in my book).

Who's your fave classic Doctor, companion, and villain (and episode or arc, if you feel like going more in depth)?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
But the storylines with Danny Pink were good, and I actually dig Missy (though no one, but NO one, comes close to Delgado as the Master in my book).
Oh man, I loved Danny so much. I really wanted him to be a companion. He and Clara would've been the most bad*** couple duo in the TARDIS since Ian and Barbara, maybe even more so than that. But, sadly, Danny was merely there to die, and thus punish Clara for traveling with the Doctor :frown:. I'm glad Danny got a proper closer in Last Christmas though, even if he was just a figment of Clara's imagination.

Who's your fave classic Doctor, companion, and villain (and episode or arc, if you feel like going more in depth)?
Favorite classic Doctor would probably have to be Patrick Troughton. Tom Baker is a close second. Picking my favorite New Who Doctor is a little harder for me, I really love Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith almost equally. My favorite classic villain would probably be The Master, and the Judoon for the new show.
Companions- Old show: Liz Shaw or Sarah Jane. New Show: Donna "Mother *****ing" Noble!
As for arcs, I really love both the crack arc from series 5, and Donna's arc in series 4. I think the arcs for both seasons were well paced, and it felt like every episode contributed to it, even if in some small way, and the payoffs were exciting and satisfying. I also think that series 4 and 5 are the only seasons without any bad episodes.

Favorite episode/stories in the old show: Spearhead From Space and The Curse of Fenric
New show: Day of The Doctor, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, The Eleventh Hour, Dalek, and Vincent and the Doctor

How about you? And also, how do you feel about Rose?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Oh man, I loved Danny so much. I really wanted him to be a companion. He and Clara would've been the most bad*** couple duo in the TARDIS since Ian and Barbara, maybe even more so than that. But, sadly, Danny was merely there to die, and thus punish Clara for traveling with the Doctor :frown:. I'm glad Danny got a proper closer in Last Christmas though, even if he was just a figment of Clara's imagination.

Favorite classic Doctor would probably have to be Patrick Troughton. Tom Baker is a close second. Picking my favorite New Who Doctor is a little harder for me, I really love Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith almost equally. My favorite classic villain would probably be The Master, and the Judoon for the new show.
Companions- Old show: Liz Shaw or Sarah Jane. New Show: Donna "Mother *****ing" Noble!
As for arcs, I really love both the crack arc from series 5, and Donna's arc in series 4. I think the arcs for both seasons were well paced, and it felt like every episode contributed to it, even if in some small way, and the payoffs were exciting and satisfying. I also think that series 4 and 5 are the only seasons without any bad episodes.

Favorite episode/stories in the old show: Spearhead From Space and The Curse of Fenric
New show: Day of The Doctor, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, The Eleventh Hour, Dalek, and Vincent and the Doctor

How about you? And also, how do you feel about Rose?
I've actually yet to see the Hartnell or Troughton episodes, so I have no opinion on them. The only Doctor I absolutely cannot watch is Colin Baker's. I liked the storylines of Tom Baker's era more than I liked his Doctor, but that may be because he was such a different odd duck than Pertwee, and for all his patronising ego and Venusian jujitsu nonsense, I adored Pertwee.

Side note: did you see Rifftrax is doing a LIVE RIFF of The Five Doctors? I am SO there.

I liked the crack arc, but felt that the very last ep, with all the back-and-forth alternate-universe stuff was rather strained. I had expected more, and Moffat let me down. But up until that point it was great. I LOVED Rory's reunion with the Doctor. "Hi Rory." "Hi Doctor." :crazy:

Can you imagine Clara and Donna? Now THAT would be far more fun than Lady Me...

Companions: classic - The Brig. Unbeatable. The shout-out to him as a Cyberman made me sniffle a bit. Also loved, loved, loved Sarah Jane, and her ep with Tennant was glorious, if silly. Loved the total fanwank of Stolen Earth & Journey's End. I haven't yet seen any of the Sarah Jane Adventures, but I suspect I'd like them. I was quite sad to lose her. Turlough was amusing, Tegan anoying, and the only thing Adric did right was die nobly. I also liked Jo and Yates during Three's tenure.

Companions: new - took me a long time to warm up to Clara, but her interactions with Twelve cemented her legitimate companion status to me. Donna ROCKS SO HARD and always will. The pantomime scene in Partners in Crime never fails to have me laughing until I can't breathe; Tennant and Tate were genius together. I AM a sucker for the Doctor/Rose love story, and I felt very cheated that Rose only ended up with the clone. River Song is a delight and steals every **** scene she's in, and yes, I loved the Husbands of episode. Captain Jack is possibly one of the best characters in the universe, and yes, I also have watched all of Torchwood.

Fave eps: classic - oh, man. It's been way too long since I've seen any of them. I remember really liking Pyramids of Mars, and the Curse of Peladon. I'd really have to re-watch to come up with more definite faves.

Faves, new - Silence in the Library is hands down my fave, though Blink would have to be second. Listen is also excellent. I tend to enjoy the creepy ones more than the lighthearted ones; exception being the aforementioned Journey's End, just for being one big glorious fanfic of an ep!

The Weeping Angels are possibly the best new monster, but I feel like some episodes really underplayed them (the New York ep with Rory & Amy being one such). I have a soft spot for the Daleks.

On my desk at work, I currently have a Funko mini of Twelve, the TARDIS and black Dalek salt & pepper shaker set, a Weeping Angel in full attack pose...and away from all that, because he might get scared, my Newsman. :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I've actually yet to see the Hartnell or Troughton episodes, so I have no opinion on them. The only Doctor I absolutely cannot watch is Colin Baker's.
Ugh, I know literally everyone and his dad has expressed their dislike for the sixth Doctor, but, God, do I hate the sixth Doctor. He's sooooo annoying, as were his companions, Mel and Peri. Which is kind of a shame, because, Colin was actually a really good actor, and he was the first actor to play the role that was a really huge fan when he got the role. He had some really cool ideas that would've made the show and his Doctor a lot more interesting. But than, they fired the man from his dream job all because the writers and producers couldn't get their act together. I honestly think he could've been one of the best Doctors of all time if handled better.

Companions: classic - The Brig. Unbeatable. The shout-out to him as a Cyberman made me sniffle a bit. Also loved, loved, loved Sarah Jane, and her ep with Tennant was glorious, if silly. Loved the total fanwank of Stolen Earth & Journey's End. I haven't yet seen any of the Sarah Jane Adventures, but I suspect I'd like them. I was quite sad to lose her. Turlough was amusing, Tegan anoying, and the only thing Adric did right was die nobly. I also liked Jo and Yates during Three's tenure.
The SJA was kind of hit or miss at times, but a lot of it was great. The two episodes with The Doctor, and the one with Jo are definitely must sees, as well as any episode with The Trickster on it. Also, the Brigadier appeares in one of the stories, but I haven't seen that one yet. Also, interestingly, the first episode with the Trickster carries over to Turn Left, so that's an interesting little continuity nod.
I AM a sucker for the Doctor/Rose love story, and I felt very cheated that Rose only ended up with the clone.
I'm really glad to finally talk to a fan that doesn't hate Rose :smile:.

Faves, new - Silence in the Library is hands down my fave, though Blink would have to be second. Listen is also excellent. I tend to enjoy the creepy ones more than the lighthearted ones; exception being the aforementioned Journey's End, just for being one big glorious fanfic of an ep!
Those are all definitely in my top fifteen. I love the scene at the end of JE when all of the companions are piloting the TARDIS together. I swear, every time I watch that scene I get goosebumps.
The Weeping Angels are possibly the best new monster, but I feel like some episodes really underplayed them (the New York ep with Rory & Amy being one such). I have a soft spot for the Daleks.
Yeah, ever since Blink, i'm still waiting for them to be used to their full potential. In the mean time, we can enjoy this gloriously intense scene from the spin off show Class:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the season premiere yet with the new companion Bill? If you haven't, this post contains spoilers: Firstly, I just wanna say that I love Bill so far, much more than I expected to. She's enthusiastic, she's funny, and best of all, she's human. She really is one of the most relatable companions the show has had, up there with Rose and Donna. It was nice to get an episode from the companion's point of view rather than The Doctor's. It's also a smart way to introduce the show to any new viewers. The Doctor going back in time to give Bill pictures of her mom was one of the most heartwarming and genuine moments ever. I wonder if her dead mother is going to be in any of the plot lines later one, kind of like Rose's dad in Father's Day. Also, I have to say, in that memory wipe scene, I almost cried when they played Clara's theme.
I loved the fact that Bill being gay wasn't treated as a big deal. Her having a crush on Heather was treated just like any straight romance would be. Bill really wants to help Heather and travel the cosmos with her, which makes the ending all the more heartbreaking. The scene with Bill in the bathroom, and the reanimated body of Heather chasing them through time and space was actually genuinely scary.
Overall, I give this episode a 8/10. I think it's the best series premiere since The Eleventh Hour. It's simple, but sometimes simple is good. It's quite possibly the most Doctor Who-ish episode of Doctor Who in a long time, and i'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.