Sesame Street Episode 847 with Margaret Hamilton

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Trust me, Oscar being cursed with a human nose was definitely a separate episode. I saw it myself, when it was new in the early 70's, and I was every bit as frightened as the guy on this web page:

http://www.avclub.com/article/childhood-scares-26455
You mentioned that the episode occurred during the Matt Robinson as Gordon era (1970-72), but I looked up the guy's profile (his name is Leonard Pierce, who has his own website), and it seems like the episode was actually from either season 6 or 7 (when Roscoe Orman took over as Gordon), since Leonard was born in 1969 and was between 6 and 7 years old when he first saw it (1975-76).

UNLESS...

It was actually from season 4 or 5, because episodes from those seasons were repeated in seasons 6 and 7. In the "I'm looking for a skit" thread, Nantovision mentioned seeing the episode as well. Since Nanto remembers Hal Miller and has no recollection of Matt Robinson whatsoever, this would make sense.

Here's Leonard Pierce's website:
http://www.leonardpierce.com

gravy

Reaction score
It's been a year. I still haven't went to the archives... Oh, well.

Anyways, what made me come back on is that I was scrolling on a Jim Henson tumblr page and found this picture that might have been backstage:

Then I went on their website and found this picture, which must have been from the same episode because he's wearing the same clothes:

So that's cool.

gravy

Reaction score
I've been looking more into this episode, me being me with thousands of tabs open, and I came across this statement from somebody.

I don't know if this is trustable but if it is... At least it's in storage.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I've been looking more into this episode, me being me with thousands of tabs open, and I came across this statement from somebody.

Makes me wonder now if it really is.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
I wasn't born when this episode debuted, but I'd love to see it, since "The Wizard of Oz" is one of my favorite movies (if not my all time favorite movie ever).

gravy

Reaction score
I wasn't born when this episode debuted, but I'd love to see it, since "The Wizard of Oz" is one of my favorite movies (if not my all time favorite movie ever).
Fun fact: It was the first movie Jim Henson ever saw!

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Waiting for the episode to surface be like

In seriousness though, I've given up on hearing about a peep of the episode surfacing and can live without it. I'm sure it still exists, and I'm not convinced ANY episode from them is lost/destroyed unless I heard directly from the workshop themselves.

minor muppetz

Reaction score

I'm skeptical of this. If it's an unwritten rule to not digitize this, then it's not in writing, how likely would the archivists be to remember/be aware of this? And just one episode out of them all?* I know they didn't plan to air it again, but there's thousands of episodes that haven't aired since their original broadcasts and they made newer copies of them all regardless. And they know for a fact that it's in storage, just lost in storage? Besides, it seems like that person asked for it to be digitized after learning it was lost in storage, apparently hopeful that they would find it soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if that person just said that to get somebody to stop bugging them about the episode. I don't know exactly what led to him or her saying that stuff, but the person's mom just happens to work for Sesame Workshop?

*Of course, the master tape could have some kind of label to not air, which could be what has led to them not digitizing it. I've heard that the rare "Adoption" episode of You Can't Do That on Television had a sticker on it that said "do not air", so I guess it's possible.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Behind the scenes at the workshop:

*Intern takes the tape to digitise the episode*

Employee: *slaps hand* what do you think you're doing?

Intern: I- I was just planning on digitising this episode with all the other-

Employee: Shhhhhh..... We must never speak of this episode again....

Intern: But-

Employee: SHH! Put it back.

Is how I'd imagine it. Not likely but hey, I just have a good sense of humour. :stick_out_tongue: