West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That said, I think Pixar owes us a Monsters Inc special. Halloween's too on the nose, though.
Oooh, yes! I can't believe this hasn't happened yet.
Toy Story 4 has me... conflicted isn't even the word. I'd agree it would probably work better as a TV special, and I really think Pixar should be doing more of those and with more characters besides Toy Story. I'm willing to have an open mind about it, even though the movies closed nicely with 3 and the supplemental specials and shorts are more than good enough for the characters.
The thing that bothers me the most besides them not needing another movie after the amazing third one is, well... Usually when Pixar has an idea for a movie, it starts with an idea. Long story short, if the idea is good enough and lasts long enough to work even after major changes, it becomes a movie. With Pixar it was always about making the best movie they could that starts with a creative idea. But with Pixar's sequels it seems to be the exact opposite; Instead of waiting until the best idea comes up for a sequel, they say, hey we can get money off this, so now that we've announced it and money has already been invested, now we need to find a reason to justify this sequel happening. Sometimes they don't even have enough time to fully flesh out the script and give it all the time the production needs. So the result is often a film that is less creative and less fun then it's predecessor.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say that's more the case with their competitors. I really think that with Monsters Inc especially, it was them knowing Disney was going to make a series of cheapquels and they thought "Did someone ask for a challenge!?!?!" And I give them credit for giving most of their sequels a good, long time in between. Other than TS2 and Cars 2, it's not like they're directly followed a couple years later. Finding Dory was well over a decade since the original, ditto Monsters U and TS3. Then of course, they get equal crap for their other original films not being as good as the preceding either. It's like they're only allowed to make one kind of film, and then they get crap for them being formulaic. Just like Disney and the Princess films. They got crap for making them, then they got crap for doing things different.

Meanwhile, 5 Freaking Ice Age movies that get increasingly cartoony, some withing a couple years of each other. And a Rio sequel that I can't rightfully say no one wanted, but it was generally poorly received. Honestly, the first one was incredibly overrated and not really that good either. I can honestly see Disney pressuring Pixar to make more sequels, and it looks like it's the case when it isn't. I'd say by comparison Dreamworks is in and out of that sort of thing. I can't say they had a really bad sequel outside of Shrek 3 being repetitive and redundant. Sure, KFP2 was better than the third one, and I kinda blame the fact it had a TV show in between, making the villain conflict look like an extended episode, but still having that touching stuff in the middle about his lost Panda civilization. But then you look at some of their original films made since, and while nothing really looked that bad (the jury's out on Trolls, but even compared to what they were originally going to do, not as awful), they just seemed ...strange. Turbo seemed like a huge step backwards for them, Trolls too. It's unfair for both studios to be compared by their best films, as they're either going to not be as good or fall short, and exceptions beyond that are, at best, very high and basically just met.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I recently watched Illumination's Sing, and I found it way more enjoyable than I thought, mainly for the colorful ensemble of characters. But now that a sequel was greenlit, how will that work out? Hopefully the writers will be smart enough not to make it a retread (oh no, the theater is getting repossessed again and Buster & his singing troupe need to save it again! :rolleyes:). Maybe they could focus on the Seth MacFarlane-voiced jerk@$$ mouse and his girlfriend on the lam from the Russian bear gangsters?
They definitely sequel-hooked us there if you watch it yourself.

And in unrelated news, after also having watched the fantastic Porco Rosso, Hayao Miyazaki wanted to make a sequel to that at one point, set during the Spanish Civil War with an aged Porco. But since Studio Ghibli is on hiatus and Miyazaki is no longer with the company, that's been put on hold.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/jul/07/first-sight-hiromasa-yonebayashi

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Another freaking Alpha and Omega movie!? Do those filmmakers want to make our brains melt or something?
We have to make another Alpha and Omega you foolsssss, now follow my ordersssss! Mwahahaha!

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Do those filmmakers want to make our brains melt or something?
If there's one thing they wanna make, it's cash. Like I said in that one thread, I bet Mr. Krabs is running all these film companies! It seems like all they care about is making money, and nothing else.

mr3urious

Reaction score
If there's one thing they wanna make, it's cash. Like I said in that one thread, I bet Mr. Krabs is running all these film companies! It seems like all they care about is making money, and nothing else.
These are like the Land Before Time sequels of the 21st century.

I wonder if even A&O fans still like the endless sequels?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I recently watched Illumination's Sing, and I found it way more enjoyable than I thought, mainly for the colorful ensemble of characters. But now that a sequel was greenlit, how will that work out? Hopefully the writers will be smart enough not to make it a retread (oh no, the theater is getting repossessed again and Buster & his singing troupe need to save it again! :rolleyes:). Maybe they could focus on the Seth MacFarlane-voiced jerk@$$ mouse and his girlfriend on the lam from the Russian bear gangsters?
I really hope they just focus on a smaller group of characters. If there was one glaring problem in the first one, it's that they had too many subplots and not enough time to develop them. I feel like if they had given us more time to feel invested in the cast, then the movie would've been 5x better.
But hey, at least the animation was really nice, and I can only imagine it would improve if they make sequel.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Going by the thread title I thought this thread was about disease. :stick_out_tongue:

Lemme just say that I for one am looking forward to Cars 3. It's a franchise my family has loved since the first film came out. I can see why people dislike it, but personally I'd all it Pixar's hidden gem. Great morals, engaging storylines, really cool characters. I like it. Can't wait for the third one.