RIP Adam West

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The series was awesome, and I love how much they played it up for laughs.
Two favorite memories:
Often Batman and Robin would be seen climbing up the side of a building, defying gravity (actually, the camera was turned on its side, so they were actually walking on a stage floor, not clinging to the side of a building. No fear of falling, but I digress).
They'd reach a window, and somebody famous would always poke their head out to see what was going on: Lurch from "The Addams Family", Dick Clark ("American Bandstand"), etc. Nice way to promote other ABC shows. Clever.

And the fake fights. Batman and Robin would catch up with the villains, at their hideouts, or at some swanky penthouse apartment. The fists would start flying
"ZAP!" "POW! CRUNCH!" and all the furniture would get busted in the process.
The dynamic duo would subdue the villains, but they caused a lot of collateral damage.

It was silly to the point of hysterics, but Adam West did it all with the straightest face.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
I have read many wonderful anecdotes about Adam West in the past couple of days. Someone posted online that all the other actors who have played Batman should attend his funeral the way living Presidents do for one who has passed; I thought that was brilliant, and fitting for a man whose jovial smile and classy behavior has affected so many fans. RIP.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
It was silly to the point of hysterics, but Adam West did it all with the straightest face.
Anybody here ever see the original Batman movie with Adam West from 1966? They played on the silliness to the extreme and made fun of themselves in the movie. It is hilarious. Unlike the modern day Batman movies it was written as a comedy and I highly recommend checking it out.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Another role he was known for was as Simon Trent, a.k.a. The Gray Ghost, one of Batman/Bruce Wayne's childhood heroes on Batman: The Animated Series. In "Beware the Gray Ghost", Simon Trent, who played the Gray Ghost, is unemployed and out of money, with Trent attempting to sell his memorabilia, only to have it returned. Eventually, G.G. puts on his costume and teams up with Batman, and in the end, Trent is hailed as a real-life hero, with the public becoming interested in the nearly-forgotten hero with his classic series being released on video and a renewed sense of purpose.

Now that Adam West has passed on, I wonder if Family Guy is going to retire Mayor West's character, and if they will find some other mayor to take his place....

C to the J

Reaction score
I'm hoping we get to see CAPTAAAAAIN SUUUUUUPER CAPTAAAAAIN one last time in the final season of Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero.
You're in luck because CSC (and also Prof. Evil Prof.) appeared in the series finale, which shall be covered in the Penn Zero thread. Adam must have had his lines recorded beforehand. Let me tell you, the final episode is as epic as you'd expect it to be. If you haven't seen the entire second season, you've got some catching up to do.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy tombstones! Hadn't heard about this, and here it is, almost two whole months after the fact. Meh, guess that's what happens when I don't watch much of TV anymore.

*Flashes the bat-signal into the sky as a tribute to that pointy-eared caped crusader.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, I won't lie, like many, I was also upset when I found out West kicked the bucket.

Family Guy, Batman, and even that low-budget 80's flick Zombie Nightmare shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000 in 1994 (and West even hosted the Turkey Day '94 marathon in honor of the premiere of that episode) will never be the same.