Video: 80's Sesame Street Music Mashup Parodies

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Perhaps the best web-exclusive video SST's produced in a while.

And yup, can't say I was expecting them to Rickroll us, but they did.
This video gives me hope, and makes my faith in Sesame Street grow!

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I wish they did 80s rap parodies!!! Especially with MC Hammer!!!

wiley207

Reaction score
I loved it a lot! As a lover of 1980s music (maybe because I was born in 1988), it was lots of fun. And of course, I still remember those great 80s-style original Sesame Street songs, like "Wet Paint," "Danger's No Stranger," "Healthy Food" and "The Word is No."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This was awesome. Though now, I wonder if people will search "Sesame Street 1980s" looking for '80s clips and be disappointed to find this (though I actually searched for this and found some '80s clips before this clip).

One thing I've been meaning to ask, maybe it'd be better for its own thread, but is there any special reason why Caroll Spinney hasn't been heard as Big Bird or Oscar in the web videos from the last few years? I get that he's unable to physically perform the characters, and I get that Matt and Eric are heard as them when they make live TV appearances (where it might be difficult for Caroll to do the voices separately), but it seems Caroll doesn't do these web videos as Big Bird or Oscar anymore. And the first web video to feature Eric as Oscar, I thought it was weird because I had recently heard that Caroll still performs Oscar if he doesn't have to get into a tight space and that video in question seemed like something he could have done (it was just Oscar in front of a plain backdrop).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Maybe Caroll's just retired at this point? Who knows.

And some people on YouTube already were dissappointed, but at the end of the day, that's their own problem.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
One thing I've been meaning to ask, maybe it'd be better for its own thread, but is there any special reason why Caroll Spinney hasn't been heard as Big Bird or Oscar in the web videos from the last few years? I get that he's unable to physically perform the characters, and I get that Matt and Eric are heard as them when they make live TV appearances (where it might be difficult for Caroll to do the voices separately), but it seems Caroll doesn't do these web videos as Big Bird or Oscar anymore. And the first web video to feature Eric as Oscar, I thought it was weird because I had recently heard that Caroll still performs Oscar if he doesn't have to get into a tight space and that video in question seemed like something he could have done (it was just Oscar in front of a plain backdrop).
He really only does Oscar at conventions and stuff, where he doesn't have to hold him above his head.

Production-wise, it seems harder to bring Caroll down to record one line for a web video.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Caroll's voice, sadly, hasn't been up to speed in recent years either - this is evident with the "Meet Julia" episode on YouTube, practically every other comment on that video is how Big Bird sounds "depressed," and we've commented here about how Oscar has been sounding weak lately.
I wish they did 80s rap parodies!!! Especially with MC Hammer!!!
What about Tone Loc? Imagine one of them rapping with a freezing Muppet hyena: "Funky Cold Hyena"? If they brought back Harvey Kneeslapper, he could be a "Wild Thang."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
He really only does Oscar at conventions and stuff, where he doesn't have to hold him above his head.
Oh, I thought it was just that he didn't perform Oscar when he's in his trash can area and there's a lot of set pieces/props around.

When I first saw that Sesame Studios promo and thought it was odd Eric was heard, I wondered if that was a case similar to bluescreens. I've seen people say that Caroll doesn't like performing in bluescreen for some reason, though I hadn't seen any official confirmation (the closest comes in I Am Big Bird, where Matt says "if Caroll doesn't want to do the blue screen, I am happy to"). Didn't think a plain-colored backdrop would count the same (especially if that background isn't changed), but you never know.

Hmm, if Bruno was still around, I wonder if he would do Oscar and Bruno, since he wouldn't have to hold his hand above his head.

Oscarfan said:
Production-wise, it seems harder to bring Caroll down to record one line for a web video.
But what if the video was made during the production season, when Caroll is already in the studio?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
In I Am Big Bird it was mentioned that Carol would choose what he would want to do and what he did not want to do. Or something like that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, for years, Caroll had been saying he intended to stay with it until he couldn't physically hold Big Bird's four-and-a-half pound head up anymore. Well, we're past that now: now he's saying he intends to stay with it in some capacity (in this case, dubbing voices) until Season 50.