Custom figures and dioramas

Dearth

Reaction score
I just created a new thread for a video that I made of my Funko ReAction Dark Crystal toys, but none of them were customized.

I want to collect the DST Muppet line, but so far I've only bought the Statler and Waldorf with their theatre box.

Faced with a second line of different-scaled Muppets or getting some long-desired Dark Crystal figures, I opted to collect the DC stuff. The sculpts are amazing.

Eventually, I hope to get back into the Muppet Show figures, and finish some of my old planned Palisades customs. I found a box the other day with my Bossmen in pieces inside. I need to finally fully paint and assemble those.

~D

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm staying away from the Funco stuff and given my large Palisades collection I don't really have space for the DST series though I smile/applaud/encourage them to go as far as they can with it. I'd probably be more into getting the NBC Vinimates line, though I haven't really gone store shopping in ages. Meh.

One of the dream custom projects would be taking an extra Backstage playset and turning it into the interior of Belvedere Castle, better known as the home of :batty: himself as seen from various sketches on SST.

Dearth

Reaction score
I had some extra Backstages at one point, not sure if I still do. I know I sold at least one. I contemplated customizing one into the downstairs canteen and or rehearsal space seen in some episodes of The Muppet Show.

Before anyone gasps clutching their chest, I should point out that I bought several of them used that were partial or broken, to piece together one mostly good one, and the plan was to use predominantly broken or messed-up pieces for such a project.

Alex

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Downstairs canteen? There's an unused area of the theater. Unless you have a custom-made Gladys the Cafeteria Lady figure. Or plan to use it as a place for your Fozzie Bear figure to hide out from all the spooky weirdness taking place onstage, hoping for at least one bit of normal on the show tonight. :stick_out_tongue:

Thing I wonder is if anyone ever added a proper exterior façade to a Backstage playset.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wha Luke figure? Something for the canteen? Heh, I keep thinking of the EM as the cantina band, cross-referencing Floyd as Max Rebo thinking of that bit with the canteena music from Blue Harvest bleeding into the dialogue from the Kaye Ballard TMS episode where the band goes on strike.

Dearth

Reaction score
I finally have some of the Diamond Select Toys figures. I had only bought Statler and Waldorf so far, then lucked into an auction for the deluxe versions of the other five Series 1 and Series 2 sets that I lacked, paying about half what I'd have paid if they were on the card.

Overall, they were in good condition, though to my skin's chagrin they were covered in cat hair from the previous owner, who apparently never even notices the stuff anymore.

Funnily enough, I once owned a cat, so I didn't realize I might have become allergic until these guys made my skin burn and itch. Thankfully, after dipping the figures in soapy water, that seems to have abated.

Here's a pic to see how good the scale of the DST figures (Scooter, Camilla, Fozzie, and Kermit) are alongside the 6" Hasbro Black Series figures (C-3PO, R2-D2, and Luke Skywalker in his Bespin Fatigues) and the Disney Parks exclusive figures (Gonzo/Dearth Nadir, Link Hogthrob/"Ham" Solo, Miss Piggy/Princess "Loina").

I might have to dig out my custom Koozebane diorama and really get elaborate. Here's to hoping DST eventually makes the Pigs in Space crew.

I guess I'll still be forced to customize an Angus McGonagle.

Alex

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ochaye, keep us posted on tha custom figure o' Angus, ye need his garglin' to keep wee nastay Wookees away. :zany:

Dearth

Reaction score
One of my biggest disappointments with the DST figures was the way Animal's accessories kept falling over because of their tiny bases and top-heavy designs.

Another problem was that the way Animal's hips were jointed, the low stool tilted him too far back. It needed to be a little bit taller, in my opinion.

I arranged them atop a piece of paper (after consulting a diagram for real drum setups) and traced their bases.

From this organic start, I was able to digitally build a small bandstand in Tinkercad.

I then had this grown on the 3D printer at my local library's "Collaboratory". It cost me less than six dollars.

Below you can see the stool, bass pedal, and cymbals in place in their recessed spots. (Well, the stool has a raised cone with a recessed top). I was briefly tempted to make a pedal for the high-hat cymbal while I was at it, but ultimately decided if DST was okay with it, I was too.

Here I've added the snare and the medium tom in the last two recessed circles. I didn't bother making any recesses for the bass drum or the floor tom, since they don't fall over.

Here you can see how the slightly taller stool fits Animal's maximum hip movement much better.

And lastly, here's the entire drum kit, including the bass and the floor tom. I even put a tiny dollop of hot glue in each recess, so I can pick this thing up and move it as one unit if I want.

This top angle shows how all of the drums and cymbals are in Animal's armspan as he plays.

Ain't technology great?

~D

Last edited:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
With a set-up like you've described making for :halo: I wonder if he can now move on to his greatest drum battle challenge of all... Benson!