The new What Made You Smile Today thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I watched the first episode of Robot Chicken this evening. Wow, what a rollercoaster ride that show used to be! It used to go so fast that it made vines seem long and most of it was about kid show characters doing adult stuff (they've since widened their range and started satirizing other topics as well like historical events, politics, religion, celebrities, video games, etc.). Anyway, even though it was different:It was still awesome to see what the show has become in such a seemingly short amount of time. If it wasn't so inappropriate, I'd actually consider showing it to my Grandma who grew up with stop motion animation. It's a great example of the genre, :smile:.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I made it to 209 YouTube subscribers today. I'm glad that people still watch old fashioned style Animutation videos (which make up about 90 percent of my channel), it makes me feel like the genre is still relevant in a weird way. The fact that Animutation's main running gag is putting Colin Mochrie on the sun from Teletubbies proves that the Monty Python-esque style of animation/humor isn't dead. They've always reminded me of something Terry Gilliam would do. Personally, I'm never going to stop using that wacky, Python-esque style of those videos to keep the Animutation tradition alive. I don't care if everyone else who makes them switches to using just CGI, I still wouldn't do it. I'd be the minority who keeps the original Animutation alive thanks to nostalgia :big_grin:

Schfifty

Reaction score
I watched the first episode of Robot Chicken this evening. Wow, what a rollercoaster ride that show used to be! It used to go so fast that it made vines seem long and most of it was about kid show characters doing adult stuff (they've since widened their range and started satirizing other topics as well like historical events, politics, religion, celebrities, video games, etc.). Anyway, even though it was different:It was still awesome to see what the show has become in such a seemingly short amount of time. If it wasn't so inappropriate, I'd actually consider showing it to my Grandma who grew up with stop motion animation. It's a great example of the genre, :smile:.
Dude, I saw that when it first premiered. Some of those sketches are still in the back of my head, like the bloopers at the end. :stick_out_tongue:

And yeah, it's definitely changed a lot since its first season, back when most of the episodes were TV-14 instead of TV-MA. I initially watched it from the get-go, but when they started using more gore and black comedy around the second season, I lost interest and stopped watching completely. It was some skit with a unicorn getting stabbed or something which turned me off from the show for a long time.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Dude, I saw that when it first premiered. Some of those sketches are still in the back of my head, like the bloopers at the end. :stick_out_tongue:

And yeah, it's definitely changed a lot since its first season, back when most of the episodes were TV-14 instead of TV-MA. I initially watched it from the get-go, but when they started using more gore and black comedy around the second season, I lost interest and stopped watching completely. It was some skit with a unicorn getting stabbed or something which turned me off from the show for a long time.
Funny you mentioned it because I was actually watching that unicorn episode tonight. It was pretty hardcore, even by their standards. In my opinion, their creepiest and most disturbing skit is about a cat getting killed by the Grim Reaper in his sleep. I doubt you've seen it because it came along in the sixth season, but that one almost got me into borderline depression. It mostly bothered me because I wanted to watch a funny cartoon but ended up seeing something that seems like it could be a horror movie scene. Sometimes disturbing stuff in places you'd least expect it, is the worst kind. The gore never bothered me too bad......if anything the skits about poop and vomit disgust me worse than that. The one that really bothered me (and almost stopped me from ever watching it again) was about Jesus getting whipped or something like that (I'm pretty sure it was in the same episode where they had a Japanese caricature of Mr. Rogers). I was really young when I saw it and I'm pretty sure it was the first one I ever saw. But now that I've seen some of the better stuff, I know it's not all like that. Oh yeah, I also used to have a problem with the Neverending Story parody. I have absolutely no idea why it bugged me, but when I first saw it, for some inexplicit reason:it made me cry. Again, I can not tell you why that one was the least bit upsetting to me. Yeah, the Happy Tree Friends fanatic of this forum was upset by something that could've easily been in the real movie (minus the drug references of course). As Spock would say "That is quite illogical!". Actually, I've been able to watch some of the TV-14 ones in front of

Last edited:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Out of boredom, I made a music video of Robot Chicken's more upbeat skits a while back, if anyone is interested:
Note:Some of the lyrics in the song contains not so subtle innuendos
My favorite one of their more innocent skits is by far the one about Snoopy doing the dance from Footloose. For some reason, that one still cracks me up to this day. I would've put it in this video, but the song didn't have a place where it would fit in.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned it because I was actually watching that unicorn episode tonight. It was pretty hardcore, even by their standards. In my opinion, their creepiest and most disturbing skit is about a cat getting killed by the Grim Reaper in his sleep. I doubt you've seen it because it came along in the sixth season, but that one almost got me into borderline depression. It mostly bothered me because I wanted to watch a funny cartoon but ended up seeing something that seems like it could be a horror movie scene. Sometimes disturbing stuff in places you'd least expect it, is the worst kind. The gore never bothered me too bad......if anything the skits about poop and vomit disgust me worse than that. The one that really bothered me (and almost stopped me from ever watching it again) was about Jesus getting whipped or something like that (I'm pretty sure it was in the same episode where they had a Japanese caricature of Mr. Rogers). I was really young when I saw it and I'm pretty sure it was the first one I ever saw. But now that I've seen some of the better stuff, I know it's not all like that. Oh yeah, I also used to have a problem with the Neverending Story parody. I have absolutely no idea why it bugged me, but when I first saw it, for some inexplicit reason:it made me cry. Again, I can not tell you why that one was the least bit upsetting to me. Yeah, the Happy Tree Friends fanatic of this forum was upset by something that could've easily been in the real movie (minus the drug references of course). As Spock would say "That is quite illogical!". Actually, I've been able to watch some of the TV-14 ones in front of
Oh yeah, that reminds me. I recently stopped watching Family Guy. I know it may surprise some of you, but they just got a bit much for me. Almost every other episode involves one of those stupid gags about a character doing the same thing for like 5 minutes. Some of them feel like a .gif image at times. But the offensive stuff was the main reason I stopped watching it. Robot Chicken certainly has some skits along those lines but compared to Family Guy, they don't do that kind of stuff very often and even when they do, it seems like they deliberately avoid certain topics (I've never seen a skit about 9/11 for example). Seth Green even said that he felt bad about doing a Helen Keller skit and I haven't seen anything about disabilities on the show since. Good for them, :smile:. Between the lame attempts to shock, the annoying dragged on cutaways, and the lackluster plots;the show just isn't my thing anymore. Just to make things clear, I don't have a problem with people who like the show (heck, half of my friends think it's hilarious. Even in the show's extremely crappy current era). People have their opinions and respect that. Just don't expect to see as many references to that show in my videos anymore (I'll sometimes still use those characters, but very occasionally)

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I made it to 209 YouTube subscribers today. I'm glad that people still watch old fashioned style Animutation videos (which make up about 90 percent of my channel), it makes me feel like the genre is still relevant in a weird way. The fact that Animutation's main running gag is putting Colin Mochrie on the sun from Teletubbies proves that the Monty Python-esque style of animation/humor isn't dead. They've always reminded me of something Terry Gilliam would do. Personally, I'm never going to stop using that wacky, Python-esque style of those videos to keep the Animutation tradition alive. I don't care if everyone else who makes them switches to using just CGI, I still wouldn't do it. I'd be the minority who keeps the original Animutation alive thanks to nostalgia :big_grin:
Where's the video?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Going back to Buffalo Wild Wings later on today (even though I just went there) in honor of me no longer taking my medication.

So I guess you could say it's a celebration. Oh. And there will also be a big cake involved.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Where's the video?
It isn't my video, but it's definitely an inspiration of mine. Here it is:
Several recurring characters used throughout the Animutation genre started from this video right here. Including:
-Colin Mochrie
-Mr. Bean
-Pee-Wee Herman
-Jay-Jay the Jetplane
-Mario
-Hello Kitty
-George W. Bush
-McGruff the Crime Dog
-Alfred E. Neuman
-Harry Potter
-Pikachu