Your Thoughts: Muppets Live at the Hollywood Bowl September 8-10, 2017

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
I've been watching videos from tonight, and I was wondering...am I the only one that feels like everything being lip-synced kind of cheapens the experience? Don't get me wrong, this show is amazing and everyone has done a fantastic job, but it's just odd that even these little bits of dialogue are just playback. The puppeteers are even trying to sell the idea that they are performing live, as they mime along to the pre-recorded sound track. I'm sure there is a good reason as to why, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyone else? Just me? Ok...

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I've been watching videos from tonight, and I was wondering...am I the only one that feels like everything being lip-synced kind of cheapens the experience? Don't get me wrong, this show is amazing and everyone has done a fantastic job, but it's just odd that even these little bits of dialogue are just playback. The puppeteers are even trying to sell the idea that they are performing live, as they mime along to the pre-recorded sound track. I'm sure there is a good reason as to why, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyone else? Just me? Ok...
I've been saying this from the start. They have almost always pre recorded their songs for almost every production. There are sevral different reasons for this, one of which in a song like the Muppet Show opening. You have so many of characters that you have to pre record each individual character and then mix it together.

Hope that helps.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Also, everyone has been asking Mike Quinn on Facebook about the possibility of a tour. He said that they are all hoping so, and it bodes well with the great response. THERE IS HOPE!!!
This show is very much a testing water about the possibility of branching out. I personally have no doubt this will branch out to other productions. What's interesting is seeing how this year's show borrowed elements from last years Electric Mayhem concert, which was really a test just to get this show off the ground.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This show is very much a testing water about the possibility of branching out. I personally have no doubt this will branch out to other productions. What's interesting is seeing how this year's show borrowed elements from last years Electric Mayhem concert, which was really a test just to get this show off the ground.
I really like how they decided not to completely hide the performers. It makes it more authentic to me.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
I've been saying this from the start. They have almost always pre recorded their songs for almost every production. There are sevral different reasons for this, one of which in a song like the Muppet Show opening. You have so many of characters that you have to pre record each individual character and then mix it together.

Hope that helps.
I completely understand what you're saying, and like I said, there was probably a good reason why. I just find it weird that even little bits of dialogue aren't even live, and it seems like the puppeteers WANT it to seem like they're doing it live, when they really aren't. Also, I would understand for big numbers that need a lot of performers, but numbers like Moving Right Along and I've Been Everywhere shouldn't need to be lip-synced

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
Uh, the dialogue doesn't appear to be fully pre-recorded. Someone uploaded "Happy Feet" from last night's performance, and Kermit's dialouge in-between verses aren't the same as the initial show.
Yeah, some parts of dialogue are pre-recorded, some not. For example, Fozzies joke during the intro is pre-recorded, as well as any dialogue or utterances during Can You Picture That. Still a fantastic show