What made you roll your eyes today thread?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Just the fact that this yet another day where my bachelor's degree hasn't shown up in the mail. :rolleyes:

This is one thing that really makes me mad about the college I attended - how much of a joke graduation really is.

Because the college is split into (very rushed) quarters, graduations don't happen until the spring of every year, and get this. If you're finishing your major in the spring associate's or bachelor's, you can still attend graduation as a "potential" graduate on the off chance you possibly flunk towards the end. So it's almost pointless even attending cause you have your instructors there being like "Oh, congratulations! I'll see you tomorrow in class! :smile: " :rolleyes: pathetic.

But that's beside the point. All you do is go there, sit your butts on a chair for hours, listen to your guest speaker's stupid little sob story that I doubt ANYONE even cares about, and they call your major up one by one from associate's to bachelor's. But because of so many people there, you don't even get to make a graduation speech. Which makes me really mad because many students had to pay SO much money, get pulled out of class by financial aid because of financial issues, and struggle with trying to stay on top of classes so you don't end up having to repeat classes. But here's where it gets funny. When they call your name, they just give you a little high school-styled diploma that just says "Dear graduate or potential graduate, congratulations! If you finished successfully by the winter quarter, your diploma will be mailed to you by the end of June! If you finish everything by the current quarter, it will be mailed to you by the end of September!" It makes me mad that you have to wait and wait for your degree to show up, especially with all the stress you went through to earn it.

The college I attended to is planning on changing to a university, and frankly I hope that they actually change some of the circumstances of the college and not just the look of the school itself.

Sorry this turned into a giant rant but it's something I needed to get off my chest.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Just the fact that this yet another day where my bachelor's degree hasn't shown up in the mail. :rolleyes:

This is one thing that really makes me mad about the college I attended - how much of a joke graduation really is.

Because the college is split into (very rushed) quarters, graduations don't happen until the spring of every year, and get this. If you're finishing your major in the spring associate's or bachelor's, you can still attend graduation as a "potential" graduate on the off chance you possibly flunk towards the end. So it's almost pointless even attending cause you have your instructors there being like "Oh, congratulations! I'll see you tomorrow in class! :smile: " :rolleyes: pathetic.

But that's beside the point. All you do is go there, sit your butts on a chair for hours, listen to your guest speaker's stupid little sob story that I doubt ANYONE even cares about, and they call your major up one by one from associate's to bachelor's. But because of so many people there, you don't even get to make a graduation speech. Which makes me really mad because many students had to pay SO much money, get pulled out of class by financial aid because of financial issues, and struggle with trying to stay on top of classes so you don't end up having to repeat classes. But here's where it gets funny. When they call your name, they just give you a little high school-styled diploma that just says "Dear graduate or potential graduate, congratulations! If you finished successfully by the winter quarter, your diploma will be mailed to you by the end of June! If you finish everything by the current quarter, it will be mailed to you by the end of September!" It makes me mad that you have to wait and wait for your degree to show up, especially with all the stress you went through to earn it.

The college I attended to is planning on changing to a university, and frankly I hope that they actually change some of the circumstances of the college and not just the look of the school itself.

Sorry this turned into a giant rant but it's something I needed to get off my chest.
Well, the university I graduated from (Montclair State, 1990) there were over 5,000 caps and gowns on the floor of the Meadowlands Arena with me. It would've been impossible for everyone to speak.
I didn't even get to go up for my diploma, I got it in the mail a month later, just because of the sheer number of bodies in attendance.

The one thing that livened things up: while the deans and chancellors and university brass droned on, someone let a mouse loose on the floor. Several rows back, you could hear screams as he tried crawling up people's legs.

Still I was proud of graduation, plus the venue has a long history with me. Seen my share of basketball games (New Jersey Nets) hockey (Jersey Devils) WWF wrestling, and more concerts than I can count, I think it's cool I had a gig there too.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Saw a breakup on my Facebook news feed. :rolleyes:

Look, breakups suck, but honestly, keep stuff like this in private. We don't need to see this publicly.

I also find it pathetic when people break up through texting or social media. It's like, honestly, that just tells me you're very cowardly.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
People text others standing right next to them. How is it the only way people feel empowered is with their head down and thumbs whizzing, but can't establish eye contact and verbally express themselves?
In some ways, all the texting and obsession over social media dehumanizes people. For a lot of people, you might as well be in a cage. Take the phone or gizmo away from them, and they're at a complete loss on how to act, let alone cope.

Sad, says the fuzzy old coot.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
People text others standing right next to them. How is it the only way people feel empowered is with their head down and thumbs whizzing, but can't establish eye contact and verbally express themselves?
In some ways, all the texting and obsession over social media dehumanizes people. For a lot of people, you might as well be in a cage. Take the phone or gizmo away from them, and they're at a complete loss on how to act, let alone cope.

To me, it's almost like you might as well not even have a voice box if you just literally stand next to a person texting them.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score

It is sad. I will say though, talking to people on the internet, including you guys, has helped me get a lot better at interacting with people in the real world. So, at least there's that. But yeah, I don't see the point in constantly texting someone you see on a regular basis or while you're with them. Although, sometimes people text private conversations to each other so they don't have to whisper.

Schfifty

Reaction score

It would be interesting to see what the average minimum age is nowadays for a child to receive their first phone. A guy I know who's now in high school got his first cell when he was like around 7 years old back in 2009, but two things to note: he had restrictions of course due to age, and it wasn't a smartphone. He's got an iPhone now, but I would feel unsure about letting a young kid get one when they still need to get that life experience growing up, you know? Talking face-to-face is as old as ancient civilization, and it shouldn't be phased out by technology.