Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

rexcrk

Reaction score
After hearing Matt doing Rainbow Connection I was like...

...Steve who?

I apologize guys lol. Don't take that seriously as I'm still loyal to Steve.

But I'm glad The Muppets are continuing doing their thing without worrying about real life situations.
Yeah it's funny. As many have said before, and I'm sure I've said it quite a few times, being born in the late '80s, I "grew up" on Steve's Kermit, so I'll always have that fondness towards him. And also, as I've said before, I adore Rizzo (and the Gonzo / Rizzo spotlight of the '90s) so that's what I'm really going to miss the most about Steve being fired.

But Matt is doing a fantastic job with Kermit so that's good at least.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
The writing is what needs to be fixed, and even watching the Hollywood Bowl and loving the way Matt did the songs, the dialogue and in-between song stuff felt very flat and lifeless to me. There was a part with Kermit and Piggy and it almost felt like something Kermit would say on The Muppet Show, but the way it was delivered was more mean-spirited than funny.

Again, I can't judge a 2 hour show, even watching it twice in a row. As soon as they fix the writing, then I'll finally be up there and accept Matt's Kermit. Right now I'm in the middle still.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The writing is what needs to be fixed, and even watching the Hollywood Bowl and loving the way Matt did the songs, the dialogue and in-between song stuff felt very flat and lifeless to me. There was a part with Kermit and Piggy and it almost felt like something Kermit would say on The Muppet Show, but the way it was delivered was more mean-spirited than funny.

Again, I can't judge a 2 hour show, even watching it twice in a row. As soon as they fix the writing, then I'll finally be up there and accept Matt's Kermit. Right now I'm in the middle still.
Right, I love the fact that Kermit seems to be getting his edge back after several decades of becoming Mickey Mouse-ified, but like on the most recent TV show, there are moments of him being a little too mean.

But yeah, the writing overall for most of their projects needs to get better, and they need to bring back Chip, Gloria Estefan, and Yolanda, lol.

Randall Flagg

Reaction score
Listening to Matt sing Rainbow Connection, I have to say I'm really impressed. It's one thing to imitate a character well when just talking, but to also nail it when singing is another challenge, and Matt did nail it. I remember when I first heard Steve's Kermit singing "One More Sleep Til Christmas," it was very obviously not Jim. And I'm not bashing Steve at all; he created a Kermit that many, many people love and miss, and I totally respect and admire that. He also improved over time. But I'm an old fart who grew up with Jim's Kermit, and I feel Matt captures nuances of Jim's Kermit very well, especially considering how early he is in his Kermit career.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, I'm not quite sold just yet. It's getting better, but

I'm the one who's gonna get the hate. While I do believe Matt is getting better, I'm still not quite sold. I will probably never be completely sold, actually. And before you start jumping down my throat and accuse me of being a "blind follower" of Steve's, let me just say, my favorite Kermit was Jim's, and therefore, I really never was completely sold on Steve's Kermit, either.
Hey, it's completely understandable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Yeah, it is hard to get used to anyone else as Kermit since Jim Henson was the official Kermit for so long. Kind of like when Mel Blanc died, the Looney Tunes characters had new voices and it was hard to get used to the new voices no matter who's doing them.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Ah, so this answers that question:
Good. They finally addressed the age old question. I'm glad they mentioned Denise as well. Still it would be nice to see :smile: and :mad: get back together. I could see a future project where Kermit does get back with Denise and Piggy gets jealous and maybe have Kermit and Miss Piggy hook up in the end. Just a thought.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Good. They finally addressed the age old question. I'm glad they mentioned Denise as well. Still it would be nice to see :smile: and :mad: get back together. I could see a future project where Kermit does get back with Denise and Piggy gets jealous and maybe have Kermit and Miss Piggy hook up in the end. Just a thought.
Still though, and i'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but, I don't think they do need to get back together. Miss Piggy seems to be a much more interesting and independent character when she's not obsessing over Kermit. I mean, just look at Miss Piggy's Hollywood. That special was hilarious, and pretty much the only main character she played off of was Gonzo. I just feel like the Kermit/Piggy relationship has played out; heck, even Jim Henson and Frank Oz thought it was getting stale more than 25 years ago. I feel like there's so much more to their characters and the writers should be experimenting with that more. And, let's be honest, did they ever seem that much like a couple in the first place? For a long time Kermit would rarely even admit that they were dating.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
For a long time Kermit would rarely even admit that they were dating.
I don't know. I kind of liked that running gag of Piggy pursuing Kermit, but the relationship for the most part being one-sided and then Kermit starting to return her affections in later years. I always seemed to like them as a couple. Just my opinion.