Most Iconic Big Bird Design?

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
What does everyone think is the most iconic Big Bird "look" in Sesame Street history?

For me personally, it's the early-to-mid '80s give or take a few years. The version of Big Bird that appears in "Follow That Bird" is what I consider to be MY Big Bird.

I can't stand how the character looks now.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Probably his first appearance because of.... Well, how dopey he looked.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah, i'd say probably the one from the 80s, just because so many famous moments happened during that time, including the "Goodbye, Mr. Hooper" scene, Follow That Bird, and the episode where Snuffy is revealed to the adults.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Really, the only version of Big Bird I ever truly "disliked" was the early 90s Big Bird as seen during the tail-end of the Jon Stone era, just before ATC: his head was too flat and had too much white around the eyes.

I agree that my personal favorite Big Bird is the 80s version, but I also really liked Caroll's puppet used during the ATC era up into the mid-2000s; Matt's puppet (and ensuing versions of Big Bird since) has too big a head - it looks massive.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Really, the only version of Big Bird I ever truly "disliked" was the early 90s Big Bird as seen during the tail-end of the Jon Stone era, just before ATC: his head was too flat and had too much white around the eyes.

I agree that my personal favorite Big Bird is the 80s version, but I also really liked Caroll's puppet used during the ATC era up into the mid-2000s; Matt's puppet (and ensuing versions of Big Bird since) has too big a head - it looks massive.
My thoughts exactly!

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
The one from the late 90s because that's the design I grew up watching with.

gravy

Reaction score
I like the 70's and 80's one, but definitely the Follow That Bird one was the best.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
All this talk of the specific Big Bird puppet used in FTB, it's really gotten me to wonder how they actually made Big Bird blue. I know plot-wise, the Sleaze brothers just painted him blue, given that we see discarded cans of blue paint, but how, in actuality, did they change the actual puppet from yellow to blue? You can tell it's the same puppet, given the design of the puppet, not to mention you can see where some of the feathers on the top of the head and the tail were still showing some yellow.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
No, I'm pretty sure it was two different puppets. I read on Muppet Wiki that they still use the blue BB to train puppeteers for International SS.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well I know the usual, standard Big Bird puppet from the show at the time was used for scenes that took place on Sesame Street.