Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
Still though, and i'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but, I don't think they do need to get back together. Miss Piggy seems to be a much more interesting and independent character when she's not obsessing over Kermit. I mean, just look at Miss Piggy's Hollywood. That special was hilarious, and pretty much the only main character she played off of was Gonzo. I just feel like the Kermit/Piggy relationship has played out; heck, even Jim Henson and Frank Oz thought it was getting stale more than 25 years ago. I feel like there's so much more to their characters and the writers should be experimenting with that more. And, let's be honest, did they ever seem that much like a couple in the first place? For a long time Kermit would rarely even admit that they were dating.
Okay I'm sorry, here's where all my useless knowledge comes into play.

As my two favorite characters, I've pretty much studied and researched their relationship through the years and here's what I gathered:

The Muppet Show:

Season 1 - 3: Kermit didn't care/accepted Piggy's feelings for him.
Season 4 - 5: Kermit started caring about Piggy and even got jealous when she was drooling over Christopher Reeve.

The Muppet Movies:

They seem to focus more on the romance between the two than Kermit just ignoring Piggy. Throughout the movies, Kermit will start showing interest towards Piggy. But in my opinion, the 2011 movie and Muppets Most Wanted finally showed him developing feelings for Piggy and into the 2015 show with him being in love with Piggy. It's that kind of character development that I look for.

And in interviews for Muppets Most Wanted and the 2011 movie, Kermit started accepting and knowledging they were a couple.

Honestly to me, breaking them up was a great idea for the TV Show because they could show more character development and spice things up. Still having them broken up now and doing a 180 with bickering and stuff is like..all that character development was flushed down the drain.

I can completely understand why people didn't care about their relationship, but being my favorites I did and still do XD Would I want them getting back together now? No not really, especially since Matt just became Kermit. I want him to work on character relationships and chemistry with all of The Muppets first.

And I don't know why I don't think Piggy is better or funnier being single. The Hollywood Bowl interviews show that she's just mean to Kermit, rather than trying to be friends with him. I'd rather them have good chemistry and friendship than making fun of each other.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Honestly to me, breaking them up was a great idea for the TV Show because they could show more character development and spice things up. Still having them broken up now and doing a 180 with bickering and stuff is like..all that character development was flushed down the drain.

I can completely understand why people didn't care about their relationship, but being my favorites I did and still do XD Would I want them getting back together now? No not really, especially since Matt just became Kermit. I want him to work on character relationships and chemistry with all of The Muppets first.

And I don't know why I don't think Piggy is better or funnier being single. The Hollywood Bowl interviews show that she's just mean to Kermit, rather than trying to be friends with him. I'd rather them have good chemistry and friendship than making fun of each other.
I definitely agree that them being so hostile towards each other is very out of character and should definitely be fixed. It's not particularly funny or comfortable to watch. But I think that has a lot to do with how inconsistent Miss Piggy has been for a while. All the movies (aside from maybe Muppets From Space) and The Muppet Show they really did feel like a team. And, I think MFS was kind of the beginning of the problem, and that could be because Frank Oz wasn't able to be on set for most of the filming and make creative decisions. Some days Miss Piggy can be fine, while other days she's a complete narcissistic nightmare. I mean, she was always a narcissist, but it's pretty much taken up her whole character in the last decade and a half.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
I definitely agree that them being so hostile towards each other is very out of character and should definitely be fixed. It's not particularly funny or comfortable to watch. But I think that has a lot to do with how inconsistent Miss Piggy has been for a while. All the movies (aside from maybe Muppets From Space) and The Muppet Show they really did feel like a team. And, I think MFS was kind of the beginning of the problem, and that could be because Frank Oz wasn't able to be on set for most of the filming and make creative decisions. Some days Miss Piggy can be fine, while other days she's a complete narcissistic nightmare. I mean, she was always a narcissist, but it's pretty much taken up her whole character in the last decade and a half.
I still think it has to do with the writing in that regard.

jobi71

Reaction score
I am guessing Miss Piggy is the toughest of the Muppets to write for. It's the right blend of diva/insecurity that needs to be traversed. I may be paraphrasing or mis-remembering but Frank Oz at one point said she was not a very good singer or actress etc. When I watched the season 2 DVD with Milton Berle as a guest it was the first time I saw her version of The Entertainer. She sang. She danced. She took over the piano from Rowlf. She put her heart and soul in that number. She, like Kermit, has a need - not a desire - to entertain. That's why, I think, they are an interesting couple. They have quite different personalities, but they have the same goal. Again I may be paraphrasing but Dave Goelz speaking about Beauregard said he had trouble getting a hook on the character because he didn't have a strong want. Rowlf, one of the older Muppets was one of the few who had confidence in his performance. Kermit was apologetic, Piggy was insecure, Fozzie wanted to be liked more than laughter, Scooter was star struck, Gonzo was out to shake up the art world, Statler and Waldorf were two old codgers who had a deep history and clear love of theater (why would they always come there - and don't say I guess we'll never know), The Electric Mayhem may have some "outside" influence, but they were a good band who just could not get their act together, The Sweedish Chef - oblivious, Bunsen and Beaker? - a romance yet to be discovered, Sam the Eagle? - an eternal optimist who is thwarted at all his cultural ideas. Walter, Bean and Robin? Naive youngins who believe in the dream. Rizzo? - tough guy with a big heart. Luncheon Counter Monster? - a monster who liked to eat items - edible or not - at a lunch counter. So, in short - TOO LATE - the other characters have a more defined arc. They can, as many long running shows do, move back and forth on that arc without ending it. Piggy, Kermit and Gonzo I think are tough to keep on track.

Last edited:

Censored

Reaction score
I think there is some remembering of Kermit's and Miss Piggy's relationship through rose colored glasses. The conflict was always there. Miss Piggy is a complex character with a wide range of moods. Sure, they had tender moments, but she also karate chopped him many times.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Kermit and Piggy have pretty much always been one of those "will they or won't they" couples, and I think those tend to be the best couples in fiction, because when you lack the commitment from one or both of the parties, then that's where the conflict lies, and conflict is what makes the material interesting. If the couples do, in fact, end up getting together . . . well, here, I think this particular strip from my favorite webcomic sums it up well:

http://idget.comicgenesis.com/d/20110104.html

Censored

Reaction score
No, the pre-Disney Muppet movies added some depth to their relationship too. But, that's ok. A movie has to have a little more to it. That doesn't mean the relationship can't be a joke in other settings. The good thing about fictional characters is that you can modify them as needed for plot devices and they're not locked into rigid continuity. To do otherwise is creatively stifling.