You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

snichols1973

Reaction score
Ever notice there's been a resurgence in old(er) commercial spokespeople returning? Mayhem, Keri the Sparkle Fairy, the Cottonell Bum Lady, even that other annoying airheaded insurance lady (not Flo, the blonde in the red suit).
According to the trivia section of Gonzo's Muppet Wiki profile, his only dislike is insurance agents.... :concern:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Gonzo

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's one episode of the Netflix original series The Ranch where one of the characters asks his father if he'd like to watch something on Netflix, and the laughter goes really wild over this line. I guess it's funny because it's a Netflix-original series and they mentioned the service, but is it really that funny?

After all, if a character on a TV show asked "wanna watch something on TV?", we probably wouldn't be going wild with laughter. If the show was produced for cable, we probably wouldn't laugh so hard if somebody said "want to watch something on cable?" We probably wouldn't be laughing if somebody in a theatrical movie said "want to go to the movies?" So maybe we'd be laughing if they asked if they wanted to watch something on a specific channel that the show was broadcast on, but this "wanna watch something on Netflix?" joke seems odd.

In a way, it seems like Netflix original series are a bit of a niche, but at the same time, it seems like Netflix is significantly growing with original series. Maybe if Netflix had fewer original series', or if it was the first Netflix original series, it'd be a much funnier line.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The longest day of the year was supposed to have been like three weeks ago, why are the days still getting longer? How is does that happen? I mean three weeks ago it finally would get dark a little after 9:30, now it's nearly 10:00 when it gets dark. What's the deal?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I will never understand why some people will go ahead and get out and mow their lawns, even after torrential rains beforehand. I mean, why even do that? It just makes an even bigger mess, and wouldn't the soft, soggy, mushy ground, and the wet grass give you a sloppy and uneven mow anyway?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Wet grass is heavy, and you can wreck your mower trying to cut it. When it's dry, it's light enough to blow into the bag (if you have one of those attachments). Otherwise it can clump up on the blades, clog up the bag, and sieze the motor.

When that happens, you might as well buy a new mower. There are people out there who can fix them, but it won't be cheap.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What's the deal with Mexican restaurant tacos? Why do they never season or flavor the beef? I mean Taco Bell seasons their beef; store-brand taco dinner kits come with seasoning for the beef; so why don't actual Mexican restaurants season the beef in their tacos?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever notice that people from the big city and urban areas act like suburbs and even small towns are "the country"?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ah, yes. City slickers rubbing shoulders with the country bumpkins.

At the other end of the spectrum are Jeff Foxworthy's Rednecks:
"If the biggest city you've ever been to is Wal-Mart..."

Actually, @D'Snowth , you'd appreciate this.
Every episode of "Green Acres" is funnier than the last.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Probably because as GREEN ACRES went on, it continue to grow more and more absurd, lol. Remember how earlier episodes were actually about Oliver's attempts to fix up the farm and trying to acclimate Lisa to country life? Then we ended up with such scenarios as Lisa receiving a visit from a duck, or Arnold the pig thwarting bank robbers.

I always said GREEN ACRES was the closest thing to a live action cartoon we ever got: even the characters all wear the exact same clothes just like cartoon characters! Well, except for Oliver and his vests, or Lisa with her countless dresses and lengerie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Probably because as GREEN ACRES went on, it continue to grow more and more absurd, lol.
I thought it was always really absurd. I feel Newhart is a show that started out normal and became really absurd by the end (comparable to Green Acres).