Now what's going on with YouTube?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Now Dailymotion has jumped on the bandwagon, and their redesign is even worse than any of YouTube's redesigns, because at least when YouTube redesigns the site, everything still works (for the most part) . . . Dailymotion? The whole site doesn't work now. Try watching a video, you're taken to a blank white page with a black rectangle in the center (presumably the video), and nothing ever happens - the page just sits there and loads and loads and loads and nothing happens.
I'm not having any problems with Dailymotion at all. In fact, I'm watching a Night Court episode right now as I type this, and the episode isn't having issues.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Now Dailymotion has jumped on the bandwagon, and their redesign is even worse than any of YouTube's redesigns, because at least when YouTube redesigns the site, everything still works (for the most part) . . . Dailymotion? The whole site doesn't work now. Try watching a video, you're taken to a blank white page with a black rectangle in the center (presumably the video), and nothing ever happens - the page just sits there and loads and loads and loads and nothing happens.
I honestly stopped using Dailymotion as a source for videos because now it just feels like a second YouTube, in terms of being fishbait for copyright and making those god-awful modifications to "get around" copyright. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think Dailymotion caught onto that looong ago, this isn't anything new. Like with YouTube, I've noticed various different videos disappearing altogether right and left for a couple of years.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Pretty much the main thing I find useful about Dailymotion at the moment is that a lot of people flock there for old episodes of game shows now. People used to post old copies of Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy!/The Newlywed Game/etc. on YouTube frequently back in the day until Sony and Viacom got onto everyone's accounts and blocked their videos. Shows how strict those jerks can be when it comes to episodes on YouTube.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Pretty much the main thing I find useful about Dailymotion at the moment is that a lot of people flock there for old episodes of game shows now. People used to post old copies of Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy!/The Newlywed Game/etc. on YouTube frequently back in the day until Sony and Viacom got onto everyone's accounts and blocked their videos. Shows how strict those jerks can be when it comes to episodes on YouTube.
Sony I can respect, Viacom not so much.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, YouTube, for whatever reason, did bring back those tabs on the homepage for home, trending, and subscriptions, which is . . . well, it still makes accessing our subscriptions unnecessarily difficult, but at least it's back to being a one-click process instead of how they turned it into a two-click process.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Am I the only one noticing YouTube lately has been downgrading their videos to the lowest quality settings?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It does that occasionally - I don't know if it's because of server issues or what, but it really can be quite an annoyance.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now that I'm having to use Chrome for YouTube (I'm still using Opera for everything else; Chrome is kinda "sloppy" at everything else, for lack of better word), I can see now why Google kept trying to force everybody to switch to Chrome for YouTube, because not only do videos, in general, play a lot better and smoother in Chrome, but there's also some features available exclusively to Chrome that evidently aren't supported on other browsers, such as real-time notifications.

Oh, and @antsamthompson9, I think I figured out a little work-around that annoyance of videos staying at the spot where you last watched whenever you go back to watch it again: if you're going to navigate away from the video, hit your back button instead of clicking onto or navigating to something else - I'm not sure why, but this seems to "trick" the video into sort of resetting the playhead position back to the beginning of the video when you go back to watch it again.

Furbelle

Reaction score
I've notice the same thing too, only on Firefox. I use Firefox for...well, everything, but youtube started getting glitchy on there a few months ago and hasnt really been smoothed out since. I thought it was just me having this issue.