Confessing Fears

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I have a SUPER embarrassing one to admit. I've questioned whether I should post this or not, because out of all the ridiculous fears and cartoon crushes I've confessed on this forum:this one may take the cake in terms of embarrassment *sigh* here goes:I was scared of the Grateful Dead bears when I was little. No, seriously!? That is not a joke, those cute teddy bear-like things scared me for some reason. I think it may have had something to do with their eyes and mouths (they don't even look human so I can't use the Uncanny Valley excuse to defend this one). Honestly, this one is by far the weirdest thing I was ever scared of as a child. I'm just speculating here but maybe it was because the band name is the Grateful Dead and maybe that made me think they were supposed to be undead bears or something. But I highly doubt it, because they look just like regular old teddy bears. Yeah, I don't have anything else to say about this one.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
More things I was scared of:

- most bugs, except for ants, caterpillars, butterflies, and some others (I still don't like bugs, blegh. What's funny is that I loved the show Miss Spider's Sunny Patch.)

- dogs (still not really a dog person)

- thunderstorms (still hate them)

Now for some more "silly" childhood fears:

- the walkaround Chuck E. Cheese costume (I know, I know, that's dumb... But can you really blame a 4 year old?)

- The Arby's oven mitt (that creepy puppet they would use in the old Arby's commercials)

- The Windows XP startup and shutdown sounds (yeah, I dunno why either. :confused:)
Actually my cousin had the same Chuck E. Cheese fear. He's currently a man in his early 30s but will still sometimes mention that fear in a joking way, without any embarrassment at all. I'm not surprised though because he's pretty much a big kid;he still watches Ninja Turtles and Disney movies a lot. Let me put it this way, we gave him toys of the Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers a while back and he loved it. He was so excited when he first saw them. Personally, I think it's great to see an adult who doesn't abandon their childhood things completely. Unfortunately, some people will think it's "cool" to have nothing to do with family friendly/children's media once they turn 18. I'm just glad he's not that way, :smile:. Although I do think it's quite funny when he lists his favorite shows;the diverse mixture of Disney-type things and adult cartoons is hilarious.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
When I was little, I used to be really afraid of the scene in Disney's Hercules when Hercules decapitated the Hydra. When he slices its heads off, there's "gore" gushing everywhere and you can even see the innards of the necks and everything. Pretty disturbing stuff for a Disney movie, in my opinion.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Back when I was younger, I spent the night at my aunt's house. I was sleeping in my cousin's room, briefly turned on the lights and saw an ALF stuffed animal on his shelf. Considering this was at night and I had no idea what it was supposed to be, seeing that thing staring at me kind of freaked me out a bit. But then once my neighbor started showing me ALF clips on YouTube, I found the character hilarious and he quickly became one of the funnier non-Henson puppets that I liked back then (the Jeff Dunham ones were always my favorites though and still are)

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I also used to be scared by the Mercer Mayer book, There's a Nightmare in My Closet. I don't know why, the monster looked scary probably. Which in all honesty, I'm kind of glad that I was scared by this one. Because one night when I was really little, I couldn't sleep because of that book and my mom said I could watch TV to help me fall asleep. Because this was late at night and I was used to be Cartoon Network be a kid's channel, I put it on whatever was playing and it ended up being none other than Robot Chicken. It was the episode where Big Bird got the Bird Flu and Casper was being referred to as the d***bag ghost, considering I was already familiar with both Sesame Street and Casper (well, the movie version with Christina Ricci, anyway):I found the show absolutely hysterical. I didn't get the really adult stuff and the only thing that really got me going was the bleeps. Hearing children's characters talk like that is by far one of the funniest things to an immature kid who's never heard of [adult swim]. Long story short, my mom caught a part of their very inappropriate Cat in the Hat episode and banned me from the show for a long time, but technically it was that creepy Mercer Mayer book that got me into Robot Chicken (and is probably the reason I started liking other similar things, Happy Tree Friends for example:along the way). Yes, I blame that slightly disturbing children's book for my inappropriate sense of humor :smile:. So if I become an Adam Sandler-type comedy writer in the future, I owe it all to Mercer Mayer and his twisted drawings of a monster lol.