Dealing with depression and anxiety

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Different relatives who are nice enough to do so...I have a license and car, I just am unable to drive due to the laws in my state regarding things associated with my illness (epilepsy).
I don't drive myself. Even though my parents want me to drive right away, I just want to wait because I have a fear of getting into accidents.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I don't drive myself. Even though my parents want me to drive right away, I just want to wait because I have a fear of getting into accidents.
All it really comes down to is concentrating and using your common sense when driving.

End of the day, it's something we all have to get used to to succeed in life unless you live in the city and/or have a medical condition.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
All it really comes down to is concentrating and using your common sense when driving.
This is true. Plus remember, if done calmly, carefully, and right, driving can also be a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoy my time behind the wheel, of course keeping in the back of my mind that I can kill myself and someone else with it at the same time. The safer, the better.

THAT'S WHY I LIKE IT WHEN THE LIGHT IS RED, DAD.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Time magazine did a study earlier this year about your generation (labeled "iGen", instead of Snowflakes).
It seems your generation places safety among your top priorities, which is admirable. However, it also keeps many of you indoors and reluctant to try anything. That can be counterproductive in the long run.

Your parents aren't going to be around to drive you forever, and at some point, it's a fear you have to overcome, or it will overcome you.

The older you get and you don't drive (unless you live in a big metro area and have access to public transportation, like busses, subways, etc.) that will severely limit your options for jobs, schooling, social gatherings, etc. If you're totally dependent on your parents driving, your options might be pretty slim.

Unless that's what you're willing to settle for.

I've been driving for 30+ years. The other night, I hit a deer (or the deer hit me). Crumpled the hood, did about $1,800 in damage. But neither my wife or I were hurt. The body shop can fix the car, move on.

Yes, I had AN ACCIDENT!!! But what am I supposed to do? Quit my job? Quit my church band? Let down a lot of people who depend on me to show up for various commitments?
Accidents happen. Yes, it shook me up. But no fear is big enough to keep me from doing what I need to do. I need to drive because others depend on me.
Someday you're going to have to drive (most likely) because You are going to have to depend on you. Fear or no fear.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Last year, I accidentally backed into someone and dented the hatchback and rear fender of my mom's car.

When I told her, she turned into a mix of Donald Duck, Animal, and the Hulk - never saw her so mad before in my life, and took her almost an entire day to calm her down.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I blew up at someone I love today because of a misunderstanding; I thought they had called me stupid which hurt because the last person who called me stupid day in and day out was my dad who I no longer speak to.

My relative said that I had a tough time remembering things which I took as an insult to my intelligence what with all I've achieved education-wise and, I lost it, got in their face and screamed. They said they forgive me but, I still feel absolutely horrible and again: to me, this is just proof that I'm a horrible person who doesn't deserve much of anyone or anything.

This brought up some other depressive tendencies and while I was thinking about self-harm, I can't do that to myself; I've been over a year free from self-harm and don't want to go back there.

Though, again: I just feel so horrible and like I'm someone no one asked for and what with all my illnesses and the fact that I still can't drive due to one of those illnesses until my doctor says it's alright, I'm just more and more feeling like a burden.
I can sum up your state of mind right now in two words: False Guilt.

You are not a horrible person in God's eyes.
You deserve more than you'll give yourself credit for.
You are not a burden.
You might be going through a rough time, but guilt can cripple you.
You've already accomplished so much. You're not harming yourself anymore,
you're in grad school, you are DOING SOMETHING with your life.
Don't let guilt take that away from you.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score

End of the day, it's something we all have to get used to to succeed in life unless you live in the city and/or have a medical condition.
This is true. Plus remember, if done calmly, carefully, and right, driving can also be a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoy my time behind the wheel, of course keeping in the back of my mind that I can kill myself and someone else with it at the same time. The safer, the better.

THAT'S WHY I LIKE IT WHEN THE LIGHT IS RED, DAD.
Time magazine did a study earlier this year about your generation (labeled "iGen", instead of Snowflakes).
It seems your generation places safety among your top priorities, which is admirable. However, it also keeps many of you indoors and reluctant to try anything. That can be counterproductive in the long run.

Your parents aren't going to be around to drive you forever, and at some point, it's a fear you have to overcome, or it will overcome you.

The older you get and you don't drive (unless you live in a big metro area and have access to public transportation, like busses, subways, etc.) that will severely limit your options for jobs, schooling, social gatherings, etc. If you're totally dependent on your parents driving, your options might be pretty slim.

Unless that's what you're willing to settle for.

I've been driving for 30+ years. The other night, I hit a deer (or the deer hit me). Crumpled the hood, did about $1,800 in damage. But neither my wife or I were hurt. The body shop can fix the car, move on.

Yes, I had AN ACCIDENT!!! But what am I supposed to do? Quit my job? Quit my church band? Let down a lot of people who depend on me to show up for various commitments?
Accidents happen. Yes, it shook me up. But no fear is big enough to keep me from doing what I need to do. I need to drive because others depend on me.
Someday you're going to have to drive (most likely) because You are going to have to depend on you. Fear or no fear.

Thanks for the wise words.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yesterday I actually backed into a guy's car by accident when I was pulling out of the parking lot near my grocery store (I think he was backing out, too). Thankfully no injuries or dents and we both apologized and went on with our ways.

I'm just glad the guy was respectful as I was.

cjd874

Reaction score
Seeing this stuff about driving helps me, too. I'm over 21, and still no license. I know I must learn to drive at some point, but it's a mixture of anxiety and lack of time that is preventing me from doing so. In my family, the biggest priority is getting an education before anything else. I hope that in a few months, there will be more time for me to get out on the road and practice driving. (We're also a one-car family, so that complicates things further.)