The New Am I The Only One Thread

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Can relate myself. Grey is a depressing color.

Am I the only one who finds "World's Strictest Parents" stupid? I find the parents aren't even strict, they just know how to raise kids. It's the kids that are disrespectful.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Can relate myself. Grey is a depressing color.

Am I the only one who finds "World's Strictest Parents" stupid? I find the parents aren't even strict, they just know how to raise kids. It's the kids that are disrespectful.
There was a time when parents disciplined their kids. I was probably the last generation to be raised with the threat of Dad taking off his belt to whip you, little kids got spanked.
If you threw a tantrum in public, or dared to talk back to your parents (let alone hit them), you were going to get your wagon fixed right then and there. If you acted up, and your parents didn't discipline you, other parents would think there was something wrong with your folks.
We didn't have the Supernanny. Parents didn't call Jojo because little Jason and Jennifer were out of control. A few swats with the belt did wonders.
So am I the only one old enough to remember these times? Parents were parents, not their kids' best friend. HUGE difference.
My parents (especially my mom) loved me. But when I got out of line, I knew what I was in for.
And I deserved it. It didn't happen often, but when it did, there was 773H to pay. But then they wouldn't have any trouble with me for a long time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was probably the last generation to be raised with the threat of Dad taking off his belt to whip you, little kids got spanked.
Nah, I got my own fair share of spankings while growing up - sometimes with a belt, sometimes not.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like smacked across the face? No, but I'd occasionally get a "pop" in the mouth - not an actual punch, mind you, but like when someone nudges you in the arm with their elbow, or kick you under the table, I'd get "popped" in the mouth by my mom's hand if I talked back, or if I started to say more than I was supposed to about something.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The only time I honestly remember getting spanked was by my dad after having a HUGE tantrum about leaving the playground. (Or, could have been something else, I dunno but I just remember being very fussy).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The worst thing my dad ever did to me, I said something stupid (I was about four) to somebody, my dad grabbed me by the ear and dragged me over to the person, and wouldn't let go until I apologized.

You haven't lived until you almost get an ear pulled off.
But back then, that was considered acceptable discipline, and did that straighten me out.

All except one crooked ear, I was straightened out.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I also really love watching Supernanny.... Pretty much because it shows the parents didn't do their homework. :big_grin:

"Boo hoo, help us, help us, we didn't do our research on having kids before we decided to bring more life into this world and now look where we are. :frown: "

I will say though there are instances when I can sympathize with the kids, namely the ones who are well behaved and seem to get everything thrown at them.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
@fuzzygobo , this will probably seem like an obvious question, but despite all the discipline, did you ever go through that phase yourself (presumably late teens) where you're just like "What do YOU guys know?!" to your parents out of curiosity? Cause from what you described, I would be surprised if you did.