Does Disney own Fraggle Rock?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly hate to say it (seriously), but it seems to me that Henson just doesn't have an interest in doing anything with the Fraggles. (The shoe ads are nice, but a little awkward.)
Actually, Henson really does... just everyone else doesn't. I don't think Henson would keep licensing the Fraggles out for merchandising and comics (just about the only thing they can do) if they didn't want to build it up to something. If nothing else, it IS the only major project not owned by Disney or Sesame Workshop that still involved the Muppets (even though they no longer can call them that).

If you look at their other two major brands, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, they were movies that did so so, but became major cult hits (Labyrinth especially) and don't even need a sequel to be popular.

But let's face it... Muppetnation DOES want a Fraggle Movie because it's the only major big three that didn't have a movie yet. There was supposed to be one in the 80's... they were FOOLS not to, as it would have given them exposure outside of that premium cable network... but it never happened. And while it's great the Muppets have 7 films (theatrical) and even Sesame Street had 2, we feel robbed that a Fraggle movie is impossible at this point.

If Regency and Henson do come through and get a decent script together, I want to see it happen. But doubtful... they'd probably come up with a terrible film that makes the Smurf movie look Oscar worthy.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
they'd probably come up with a terrible film that makes the Smurf movie look Oscar worthy.
Sadly you're probably right.

But I'm still hopeful something good will happen, but maybe not for a few years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see why Weinstine is sitting on the script that they had, causing them to have to start the process all over again. I guess that's some idiotic Hollywood legal thing. I'd love to see him come back and work on this one, because he stuck by his convictions (they wanted a robot sidekick in the movie at one point, he firmly stated NO... it works for the Muppets, not the Fraggles). I'm sure we'll have a decent script, but we won't have someone stand their ground and prevent stupid things from happening to the script. Unless Henson stands strong in what they expect of the movie. I love the new Muppet Movie, and for all the energy that Segal and Stoller brought to the script, Muppet Studios helped shape the film to something much better than it would have been (the Muppets would constantly have been referred to as puppets, Walter was a Ventriloquist Figure, the Mansion wasn't dilapidated...)

If nothing else, Henson should stand its ground that this needs to be a Puppet movie. Maybe some digital puppetry to assist large scenes and fill up caves... but nothing overkill.

If it happens... and I doubt it will.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
Well, I used to watch both Fraggle Rock and The Muppet Show on The Disney Channel (back in the days when the network was uncut and commercial free).

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Well, I used to watch both Fraggle Rock and The Muppet Show on The Disney Channel (back in the days when the network was uncut and commercial free).
Just because a show airs on the Disney Channel doesn't automatically mean that Disney owns it. They used to air the 1980's My Little Pony cartoon, but they don't own that.