The new What Made You Smile Today thread

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet Burgers and Fries is probably long gone now.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Hearing Matt Vogel say my name on today's episode of "Below the Frame" was pretty cool; and Carmen Osbahr blowing me a kiss and waving was really sweet too. :excited:
Holy Kermit! I forgot that was today!
Anyway, that's pretty awesome. I've tried to get them to acknowledge me on numerous occasions, but to no avail. Still, whenever they do the show it's always exciting, so I don't mind.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Holy Kermit! I forgot that was today!
Anyway, that's pretty awesome. I've tried to get them to acknowledge me on numerous occasions, but to no avail. Still, whenever they do the show it's always exciting, so I don't mind.
Matt liked one of my comments from a video last season, which was rather surprising actually.

And darn, I forgot about Below the Frame today as well. Oh well, but nice to hear you get a shoutout @D'Snowth. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think I simply had good timing when commenting: they were discussing characters, and while Carmen was discussing how she, Jim Henson, and Jon Stone created Rosita, I commented asking about why she eventually lost her wings; a minute or two later, Matt brought up my comment. Apparently, it was a logistical decision: there were concerns that as far as merchandise goes, they thought the character looked "too big" with the wings, or something to that effect, or at least, that's what Carmen said she was told. Pam Arciero offered up a more logical explanation: she went through monster puberty. :laugh:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Hearing Matt Vogel say my name on today's episode of "Below the Frame" was pretty cool; and Carmen Osbahr blowing me a kiss and waving was really sweet too. :excited:
The closest I came to Matt, back in 2013, I sent in a video to Sesame Workshop
when they were having open auditions for potential puppeteers.
Unfortunately nothing came of it, and honestly my puppetry was, by my own admission...STIFF.
But that is something just about everybody has had pipe dreams about at one point or another. Being a Muppeteer on Sesame Street would seem like the ultimate gig. It would be like joining the Beatles.
It's amazing, how back around 2009, when there were plenty of Sesame appearances, so many young hopefuls asking "How do I get on?"

I still hope to use my skills (as limited as they may be) in puppetry somehow, especially doing a puppet ministry in church.
People still might be clamoring to be the next Kermit or Ernie on the Street. If that's their destiny, great. But it's not mine, and I'm okay with that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah yes, I too sent in a video submission, but was among those who received mass rejection emails; considering most everybody got the same one of two differently-worded rejections, I'm guessing that after a certain amount of time, Matt and Marty felt they already saw enough demos and didn't have time to look at any others, or maybe because it was "first come, first serve," they stopped accepting submissions after a certain amount. I once did a firsthand demo with Steve for a former Muppet Performer who worked on SST, MFS, and EIG, and he said he had no critique for me whatsoever because he saw no flaws in my skills as a puppeteer - he even offered me a summer job with his Nashville-based troupe, but nothing ever came of that.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I think you, of all people, would deserve the best shot to be on the Street.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah, I think he'd do great! I think he's exactly the type they'd be looking for. He's got the skill, the humor, the creativity, the toughness, and the heart Muppeteers need. I think he'd be kind of a Richard Hunt type, but not gay.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Thanks guy. As I said before, when I was younger, more ambitious, more idealistic, and really had my head in the clouds, I really wanted to perform for SST (actually, I wouldn't have minded any part of the Muppet spectrum, but figured since SST remains regularly in production that it would provide me with steadier work, unlike, say, the Classic Muppets, where it could be years between whatever projects they do), but I had to take a step back and realize it was pretty much a pipe dream at best, because you figure how many hundreds of thousands of aspiring and amateur puppeteers out there would beg to work for them.

Then again, this is my biggest passion, and I'm pretty much autodidactic: I started at a time that while the internet was a thing, resources on puppetry (building, performer, what have you) were pretty scarce, so I had to pretty much teach myself by studying behind-the-scenes footage from various Muppet productions, and what little bit I could dig up on the internet. It's not like today, where you've got all kinds of great tutorials on YouTube from people like Adam Kreutinger, who give you step-by-step videos on how to build puppets and such.