The... -wait fer it-... "What made you laugh today?" Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Did you ever happen to see the extended version of the Rhinos song I did on my kooky GroverKent channel? :wink:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Did you ever happen to see the extended version of the Rhinos song I did on my kooky GroverKent channel? :wink:
I did! That was really funny, and a real hilarious Randy Newman impression! :big_grin:

And actually, on a couple random notes....

1. Although not my favorite Newman-composed soundtrack (sorry, Toy Story always comes up as number 1 for me), "That's the Life for Me" and "We're Family" have always been memorable.

2. I actually once did play "Good News" on one of my radio shows at college (it's no "You've Got a Friend in Me", but definitely catchy and in my opinion, Randy's most underrated performance for a Disney movie).

3. I had a small crush on Miss Spider when I was a kid (always had a thing for French girls....)

4. I got to meet Doug Walker at RI Comic Con last year. Very friendly and outgoing guy (and I got to get a picture with him for free). :big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I did! That was really funny, and a real hilarious Randy Newman impression! :big_grin:
IIRC, I did a couple of other extended version songs, I just can't remember what they were, lol.
1. Although not my favorite Newman-composed soundtrack (sorry, Toy Story always comes up as number 1 for me), "That's the Life for Me" and "We're Family" have always been memorable.
I actually think so too. I guess, in a sense, I can understand why Doug feels the way he does about Randy Newman, but I've never outright hated any of his songs or his music (except when he wrote "I'm Dreaming of a White President" for the 2012 election :stick_out_tongue:)
3. I had a small crush on Miss Spider when I was a kid (always had a thing for French girls....)
Is it just me, or does Susan Sarandon's French accent voice sound a lot like Bernadette Peters?
4. I got to meet Doug Walker at RI Comic Con last year. Very friendly and outgoing guy (and I got to get a picture with him for free). :big_grin:
That's the first time I've heard anybody say that about him; I've known people who have met him at cons and such and say that he's as big an *** in person as he is as Nostalgia Critic . . . I always wanted to think to the contrary and assume he just tries to "stay in character," as it were. I never met him, but I'd like to think he's a nice guy.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I actually think so too. I guess, in a sense, I can understand why Doug feels the way he does about Randy Newman, but I've never outright hated any of his songs or his music (except when he wrote "I'm Dreaming of a White President" for the 2012 election :stick_out_tongue:)
I actually started listening to his original work as I got older and was quite amazed. His song "I Love L.A" has become one of my favorites (80's music and all....)

Pretty much the same deal with Phil Collins, Elton John and Michael Bolton when I first heard them on Tarzan, The Lion King and Hercules. Childhood movies leading on to becoming a fan of music artists....

I did hear about his song "White President" getting alot of slack. Then again, I'm just someone who isn't all that into politics to begin with (gotten into too many arguments and debates that I just distance myself from it).

Is it just me, or does Susan Sarandon's French accent voice sound a lot like Bernadette Peters?
I'd.... Have to have a listen to that, now that you mention it....

That's the first time I've heard anybody say that about him; I've known people who have met him at cons and such and say that he's as big an *** in person as he is as Nostalgia Critic . . . I always wanted to think to the contrary and assume he just tries to "stay in character," as it were. I never met him, but I'd like to think he's a nice guy.
Nah, quite the opposite! Had a very outgoing personality and he enjoyed my Dr. Forrester costume (him and I even talked about the MST series getting a reboot before getting a photo). Maybe he was just having a bad day; who knows.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Pretty much the same deal with Phil Collins, Elton John and Michael Bolton when I first heard them on Tarzan, The Lion King and Hercules. Childhood movies leading on to becoming a fan of music artists....
You have a point; sometimes contemporary family movies can really help introduce younger generations to older artist and music. I think the Recess movie did a good job of that as far as 60s music goes.
I did hear about his song "White President" getting alot of slack. Then again, I'm just someone who isn't all that into politics to begin with (gotten into too many arguments and debates that I just distance myself from it).
Neither am I to be honest (I know my Trump thread may make it seem otherwise, but as I've said, it's hard not to get political about things right now with the way things are a mess right now), but I still thought it was kind of tacky and in poor taste on Randy Newman's part.
Nah, quite the opposite! Had a very outgoing personality and he enjoyed my Dr. Forrester costume (him and I even talked about the MST series getting a reboot before getting a photo). Maybe he was just having a bad day; who knows.
Could be. I understand Jimmie "J.J." Walker (from GOOD TIMES, no relation to Doug) was at the same Fanboy Expo I went to to meet the SST cast; I didn't see him, nor did I look for him (I went specifically to meet the SST cast, though I did see Barry Williams wandering around, as well as Tiffany and Danny Tamberelli at their tables), but I've read Facebook posts about the Expo and some people were complaining about how rude, aloof, standoffish, and unpleasant he was to guests, so, I guess you never know.

I did once see a video on YouTube from a Q&A panel Doug did at a con, and he was telling the audience about an uncomfortable experience he and Rob had at a con where a fan just hung around their table for over an hour like a creep - they were starving and wanting to get to an Applebee's next door, but they didn't want the guy to know that because he was offering to treat them to dinner, which would have made them even more uncomfortable. Nevertheless, if he were ever to come to a con down here, I might go try to meet him; after my experience at the Fanboy Expo, I think I'm more open-minded about going to cons now that I see they're not as bad as I perceived them to be.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Wow.... That really is creepy.

See, the thing I feel like some people need to learn is that famous people are just regular human beings like the rest of us.

Usually when I meet a celebrity, I just say something casual like "Hello, my name's Alex, and I just want to say it's a real pleasure to meet you, I really enjoyed your work in this show/movie" blah blah, not like "ZOMG IM UR BIGGEST FAN!!!!1111!!!! CAN I HAZ UR AUTOGRAPH?!!!" And if they seem friendly I might chat with them a bit before asking for a photo/autograph, etc. If they seem kinda selfish then I'll just get to the point.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah. The SST cast made me feel incredibly relaxed and comfortable, and with each one I moved on to, the less nervous I was - though I'm sure my initial excitment must have been obvious, because Alan told me as I was approaching his table, he could tell I was a fan because he could see it in my face. I spoke with each of them briefly (didn't want to spend too much time and end up holding up lines or anything), and even asked if they enjoyed being in town (they did), and they all loved my t-shirt. Even after my photo-op with them, they said I could come back to their tables if I wanted to, and I did. They really were just as warm, friendly, and neighborly as they are on TV, so they helped ease my initial nervousness as well.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Haha, well that's cool he noticed.

The classic nervous feel when meeting someone famous. At least the good thing is you can see fellow fans' reactions when taking off and you can also think of questions to ask them while in line.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I planned some of my questions/comments ahead of time, so I wouldn't end up babbling incoherently while trying to speak to them. For instance, I told Alan how I remember when he was first new to the street catering that big Birdkateer meeting and running out of food, and also asked if he was aware he had owned Hooper's Store longer than Mr. Hooper; I told Roscoe about how in addition to being Gordon, I also enjoyed a guest appearance he did playing a bank robber on SANFORD AND SON; Bob was perhaps the most conversive out of all of them, he shared a number of different anecdotes with me, and he even asked me about myself (told him I was a puppeteer, and he mentioned he worked with Shari Lewis once). Sadly, it was a little difficult to talk to Caroll - his voice was really low and weak so it was hard to hear him, and his wife or one of his chaperones would finish sentences for him, but I thanked him for playing an intergral part in inspiring me to become a puppeteer - I even gave him some artwork as a gift, and he said he'd hang it up in his home studio.

If they were ever to come to my town again (and I doubt they ever will, we're kind of a small town when you think about it), I wouldn't feel so nervous about going to meet them again. But again, after this experience, I'm more open-minded about cons, and if other people I admire were to show up at another one in the future, I'd definitely consider going.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Mom and Dad were talking about obscure things from their childhood so I brought up these Family Guy clips to surprise them. Of course, they found them funny (mostly out of the surprise that anybody would reference these obscure things)