20th Century FOX?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It was recently reported that Disney had talks to buy all of FOX Entertainment (minus the sports and FOX News). However, it was soon reported that nagotions had collapsed and the two companies stopped talking. However, a few have said that talks could restart at any time. But, either way, 20th Century FOX looks to be trying to sell it's properties, and if they do it would be absolutely huge! Whomever buys them would own the rights to TV shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, New Girl, and Malcom In the Middle. They would have the rights to 20th Century Fox's massive library of movies including Titanic, Avatar, The Sound of Music, Logan, the Night at the Museum films, Rio, the Ice Age franchise, and Home Alone. If the deal goes through, this may be the biggest business agreement in the entire history of entertainment. If Disney does end up buying them (which I can't stress enough, they probably won't) they would pretty much dominate every single part of the entertainment industry, plus it would be just in time for their new streaming service. Not to mention, they would finally own the film rights to X-Men and Deadpool, which means they could show up in the MCU along with Spider Man and the Avengers. Whoever acquires the rights, I just hope these properties are handled with care.

http://beta.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-fox-sale-talks-20171106-story.html

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'd rather they not be allowed to buy them, even if it also means a better chance of releasing a proper restoration of the non-special editions of the Star Wars trilogy. Shouldn't there be some antitrust laws stopping them somehow?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Oops, meant to edit the title to say "20TH Century FOX For Sale?".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The thing about 20th/21st Century Fox is that they're a major entertainment corporation . . . why would a company like theirs need to sell out to another company?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Shouldn't there be some antitrust laws stopping them somehow?
Well, there is a law stating that one company is not allowed to own more than one network channel. So, because Disney already owns ABC, they wouldn't be able to own FOX the channel. Still though, i'm not quite sure how that would work, if FOX still owned the network, but Disney owns all of the shows on it. It seems like they could run into a few disputes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Still though, i'm not quite sure how that would work, if FOX still owned the network, but Disney owns all of the shows on it. It seems like they could run into a few disputes.
This happens more often than you may think. There's a number of shows out there that aired on one network, but are owned by another, such as the original ODD COUPLE airing on ABC but being owned by CBS (who also produced and aired Matthew Perry's remake), or M*A*S*H airing on CBS but being owned by Fox (so, yeah, I'm curious about the future status of that show if Fox sells out).

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
It seems that Disney is out to rule the world as of late.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You can sell your soul,
but don't you sell it too cheap.