Server Move Friday November 10, 2017

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On early Friday November 10, we’ve scheduled a move to a new server with significantly more resources dedicated for our use.

The transition for our forum will require some downtime as we will close the forum on our old server, back up the forum and then move and install the forum to the new server. So please understand that the forum will experience some downtime on Friday and possibly for some members (depending on your location around the world) until early Saturday.

Please follow our Facebook and Twitter accounts if you want to stay up-to-date with the server move as it happens. We'll announce on Facebook and Twitter immediately when the forum is back on-line.

Thanks in advance for your understanding. We are making this change in order to provide everyone with a faster and more reliable surfing experience. Our new server will also take advantage of some of the newer web technologies.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
Will MC still look the same or will it look totally different?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gosh, and it took a while to get used to this server after we were with vBulletin for so many years.

Well, I'm sure we'll eventually get used to another new server after a while as well, I'm just a little concerned about all the wonderful features we got when we moved here, like larger avatars, being able to embed media in posts, among other features - I hope we'll still have them after the move.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure we'll eventually get used to another new server after a while as well, I'm just a little concerned about all the wonderful features we got when we moved here, like larger avatars, being able to embed media in posts, among other features - I hope we'll still have them after the move.
It sounds like you may be confusing a server upgrade with a forum upgrade. Once all the dust settles tomorrow after the server upgrade, everything on the site and forum should function and look exactly as it does now. The server upgrade involves upgrading the physical hardware and behind-the-scenes software required to host our site, not the look and feel of the forum.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
It sounds like you may be confusing a server upgrade with a forum upgrade. Once all the dust settles tomorrow after the server upgrade, everything on the site and forum should function and look exactly as it does now. The server upgrade involves upgrading the physical hardware and behind-the-scenes software required to host our site, not the look and feel of the forum.
Thank goodness the forum is keeping the same look. I like the way it looks right now, and it would take a while to adjust to a different style.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Oooh, this sounds coolio @Phillip ! Out of curiosity, I know that how the forum works and looks will remain the same, but is it possible we might be getting some extra features with this upgrade? (Like, say, longer edit times... it's too short for me right now, lol.) At any rate, completely understand and hoping all goes well with the change-up! :smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our server move was a success! There are several outstanding issues with the site that will be updated as soon as possible.

The issues we are aware of are:

- Our DNS records around the world are not yet fully propagated, meaning that some will still see the old site (or even no site) for a few more hours. This will resolve itself within the next 12 hours.

- E-mails may be delayed for a few hours for the same reasons.

- Our mailing list and some of our other scripts need to be configured for the new server.

- MC Radio previews with song titles are not displaying correctly on the MC home page.

If you notice any other issues with the site or would like to comment on the server move please post here. We will be watching the server loads and activity closely over the next several days to monitor the new server under normal traffic.

Thank you for your understanding during the scheduled downtime.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Our server move was a success! There are several outstanding issues with the site that will be updated as soon as possible.

The issues we are aware of are:

- Our DNS records around the world are not yet fully propagated, meaning that some will still see the old site (or even no site) for a few more hours. This will resolve itself within the next 12 hours.
So far, everything looks the same as it was prior to the move.