And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Technically, everyone I know except for me for some reason hates the lemon-flavored starburst.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
A few pundits are claiming that most of the Republicans' continued endorsement of Roy Moore after these very carefully sourced accusations against him with teenage girls, one as young as 14, have surfaced signals an internal fight for the heart of the Republican party. I say it was lost when they supported him when he said American Muslims had no place serving in congress or that LGBTQ people should be illegal. I say it was lost when Trump had so many accusers and then came out and said on video that he often gropes women's privates without permission because he's famous and can get away with it and the party still supports him. I know there was stuff about Bill Clinton. That's why I could never vote for him, even though he was a pretty good President. That said, they never had a recording of him laughing about admitting to sexually assaulting people without their permission. That should have been the nail in the coffin of Trump's political career, but those who supported him gave him a pass. In the rape culture, this violence against women (and some men too, to get real, because I know this well) those who've supported Bill Clinton and Donald Trump are complicit in helping to create this permissive atmosphere. Accusations hit the front page of some of the Hollywood Elite that conservatives hate so friggin much, they lose everything in a hot minute. But Roy Moore and Donald Trump. Nah, it's just boys being boys. Well screw that. And those who'd blame Hillary Clinton for her husband's lying and cheating behavior are awful too. She was also a victim of his affairs and paid more for them when she forgave him and didn't leave him. I guess I just don't understand the conservative evangelical vote. I think it's a bunch of malarkey. Yeah, I'm not happy with the Democrats either, but the party wised up after Bill and they aren't in the habit of promoting another high profile person with those sorts of accusations following them anymore. For those of you who like to make it sound like both party's horrible behavior is somehow even. This pretty much spells out what's wrong with that. I'm just so mad at how people can think a sexual abuser is better than a Democrat. That's what all of conservative Alabama is saying. That's what the republicans said too when Trump became the nominee. Just, eugh. Peace. And I mean that. We need it badly. The women in this world seem to need it most.

Last edited:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Speaking of which, what are everyone's thoughts on Louis C.K. and Kevin Spacey's response to the accusations against them?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
A few pundits are claiming that most of the Republicans' continued endorsement of Roy Moore after these very carefully sourced accusations against him with teenage girls, one as young as 14,
I don't think most of the Republicans continue to endorse him. Most are saying he should withdraw from the race. The Republican Senatorial committee has ended it's fundraising for him. Mitch McConnell has called for him to withdraw. John McCain, Mitt Romney, Mike Lee of Utah, Steve Daines of Montana, Paul Ryan, the list is long.

The only Republicans that seem to continue to back him are the republicans from Alabama (and Sean Hannity :wink:) And of course, this is the seat vacated by Jeff Sessions. Seems Alabama has a history of electing ignorant politicians

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
A few pundits are claiming that most of the Republicans' continued endorsement of Roy Moore after these very carefully sourced accusations against him with teenage girls, one as young as 14, have surfaced signals an internal fight for the heart of the Republican party. I say it was lost when they supported him when he said American Muslims had no place serving in congress or that LGBTQ people should be illegal. I say it was lost when Trump had so many accusers and then came out and said on video that he often gropes women's privates without permission because he's famous and can get away with it and the party still supports him. I know there was stuff about Bill Clinton. That's why I could never vote for him, even though he was a pretty good President. That said, they never had a recording of him laughing about admitting to sexually assaulting people without their permission. That should have been the nail in the coffin of Trump's political career, but those who supported him gave him a pass. In the rape culture, this violence against women (and some men too, to get real, because I know this well) those who've supported Bill Clinton and Donald Trump are complicit in helping to create this permissive atmosphere. Accusations hit the front page of some of the Hollywood Elite that conservatives hate so friggin much, they lose everything in a hot minute. But Roy Moore and Donald Trump. Nah, it's just boys being boys. Well screw that. And those who'd blame Hillary Clinton for her husband's lying and cheating behavior are awful too. She was also a victim of his affairs and paid more for them when she forgave him and didn't leave him. I guess I just don't understand the conservative evangelical vote. I think it's a bunch of malarkey. Yeah, I'm not happy with the Democrats either, but the party wised up after Bill and they aren't in the habit of promoting another high profile person with those sorts of accusations following them anymore. For those of you who like to make it sound like both party's horrible behavior is somehow even. This pretty much spells out what's wrong with that. I'm just so mad at how people can think a sexual abuser is better than a Democrat. That's what all of conservative Alabama is saying. That's what the republicans said too when Trump became the nominee. Just, eugh. Peace. And I mean that. We need it badly. The women in this world seem to need it most.
And your narrative of the Republican party being receptive to Roy Moore and continue to support him seems to be shaky.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/us/politics/roy-moore-alabama-republican.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/us/politics/roy-moore-alabama-republican.html
I guess maybe the Republican Party wised up

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't think most of the Republicans continue to endorse him. Most are saying he should withdraw from the race. The Republican Senatorial committee has ended it's fundraising for him. Mitch McConnell has called for him to withdraw. John McCain, Mitt Romney, Mike Lee of Utah, Steve Daines of Montana, Paul Ryan, the list is long.

The only Republicans that seem to continue to back him are the republicans from Alabama (and Sean Hannity :wink:) And of course, this is the seat vacated by Jeff Sessions. Seems Alabama has a history of electing ignorant politicians
That's inaccurate. Please read some of those again. Most Republicans are still tacitly supporting Roy Moore. Mitch McConnell did same kind of spineless thing he always does because he fears being primaried by the Tea Party. He said that IF these things are true, then he should resign. That's not the same thing because the statute of limitations has long run out and he knows that. There will never be any more proof than there is now. There's just the statement by the women and over 30 carefully documented corroborating witnesses and Roy Moore's slick talk and convenient memory.

The GOP in Alabama is making the same exact move, but worse. They're comparing Moore's immoral behavior to Mary and Joseph and some have even stated that the victims should be prosecuted for waiting so long. Read their statements. There's only a few or real people withdrawing their support and even fewer that demanding that he step down immediately.

I loved Mitt Romney's statement. It's my favorite thing that he's ever said. This is a republican problem. They're all more terrified of Bannon's ire than they are a likely pedophile. It's as disturbing as it is gross. Mark my words, this is the moment that things either change drastically or the party will fracture. The elections this week have shown the beginning of America's rejection of Trumpism tactics.

I'm not sure where you're sourcing your things from. Just checking because in this weird age of people calling Fake News at anything they don't like makes it challenging to some. I find the longest papers of record to be the most trustworthy. Their longevity comes from their care and their duty to print retractions any time they get things wrong. Scandal blogs like Breitbart are just chum for the chumps. We have some of those on the Lib side too. It's best to steer clear of all of that. Heck, it's best to steer clear of news blogs altogether. It's crap. They just want clicks and fast. They don't care what's accurate. I'm not saying that you do that, but so many people do. Even one of my parents does that and it make having any sort of conversation tough. I actually have a chart somewhere that I posted a while back. It's very helpful and non partisan. I personally find a blending of the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal to be a good mixture of checks and balances.

EDIT: I just read your second post and it's the analysis that I think is off. What the NYT is saying is all behind the scenes. They're not doing any of these things publicly because they're cowards. They're playing it safe in the media while trying to fix things behind closed doors. Treating sex abuse and sexual abusers like that is why we have this issue in the first place. That's terrible and I'm still right on the money here. Maybe it'll be different when they come back on Monday. We'll see. Still, publicly these turkeys are hanging out on the fence what is called a CYA move. That crassly stands for Cover Your A**. And I politely object to the term narrative. It's what's happening. They're doing one thing in public for the cameras and one thing in private. Some sources are contacting the newspapers to make them look good without having to be held accountable by Bannon and his mob.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Speaking of which, what are everyone's thoughts on Louis C.K. and Kevin Spacey's response to the accusations against them?
I initially liked Louie CK's admission, but then read it again and it's like a lawyer went through it. I mean, he didn't grope anyone. He kinda, in a way, groped himself. I'm not going to go in graphic detail because we know what he did. But it's still so gross and awful. I live in SF where some people still walk bare butt naked down the street, but they don't do what he did. Is that something people do now? He never really said the word I'm Sorry, offered any sort of aid to his victims and turned the fact that he intimidated these women into some sort of admiration of him. That is friggin gross. Still, he said he was sorry. I've had challenging path in life and I won't go into that, but I cherish almost any apology that admits fault and doesn't blame the victims. It's hard to get anything out of anyone. My thought is that Louie CK played it safe for when these women come at him for settlement money. If he said the words Intimidate or Sorry he might actually have to pay more, so made a not so artful dodge by using the terms Admiration and Remorseful. Words matter.

As for Spacey. Saying that being drunk one night that you got handsy with an adult is bad enough, but to young teenager - that is never okay. His apology was as slick and slimy as the character he played on House of Cards. I loved his performance and I love that show. Who knew he wasn't really acting. I suspect many people in the entertainment industry are somewhere on the sociopath spectrum. I'm not cynical. It's just a fact of life that attracts many people to a career that includes constant approval and fame. They're empty vessels trying to be filled. I don't know what's in his heart. I don't understand his actions or his words and I guess this is my clumsy way of try to make sense of it so that I can put a label on it and not have to think about it anymore. The truth is, he was still behaving abominably until this report came out. That's a lifetime of victims. I said this about Trump and I'll say it about Spacey. He's absolutely deplorable. I don't care if it's a sickness or what. He knew he had it and didn't get help. I hate saying someone is a monster because monsters don't exist. This is a person who did these horrible things and knew they were wrong at the time. I don't know a good word to call them.

This subject if very close to me and I'm not going to get into why. I'll just say this. I have great capacity to forgive people. Forgiveness is not something that for the abusers. It's a gift that victims gives themselves once they've taken time to grieve and process so that they can move on. Some never do and live in anger and fear for the rest of their lives. That's what abuse does. It's not just the act of it. It's the festering that happens later that is far worse. This is a reason I absolutely abhor Donald Trump and I never had the stomach to vote for Bill Clinton. They are awful people because they are awful to people in the heinous of ways. I know things haven't been "proven" for either of them, but there are enough accusations from enough women that you gotta at least believe a couple of them. That's enough for me. It should be enough for anybody.

Last edited: