Stephanie D'Abruzzo responds about Caroll Spinney

HiHo3892

Reaction score
@D'Snowth
@MikaelaMuppet
@antsamthompson9

I tweeted to Stephanie to see if she had any idea on Caroll's involvement this season.

She seems to have limited information as to whether Caroll will be dubbing over Matt Vogel this season.

But she didn't say no, right?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As I said, when I met him last month at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo, he was not in good shape, and that included his voice. If you look on YouTube at the video I took of the Q&A panel as they discuss how they got their respective roles in the beginning, you can hear how weak just his normal speaking voice is; even when I spoke with him personally at his table, it was difficult for me to hear him much of the time because he spoke so softly and quietly.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
As I said, when I met him last month at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo, he was not in good shape, and that included his voice. If you look on YouTube at the video I took of the Q&A panel as they discuss how they got their respective roles in the beginning, you can hear how weak just his normal speaking voice is; even when I spoke with him personally at his table, it was difficult for me to hear him much of the time because he spoke so softly and quietly.
I know he's had physical setbacks. But let's also take into account that he's 83. The thing about his condition is that I believe it affects his muscles. So it's up and down. Sometimes he'll be a bit slower when the symptoms are more prevalent that tension in his muscles will affect his ability to keep track recounting stories, moving, etc. And at other times he's been better For instance his greeting video for Steel City Con https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1471017442929659&id=105888282775922&_rdr or if you go on @parties4pirates Instagram he made a video with Caroll where he seems to be more alert and more energetic there. Like any condition it's up and down. Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's good.

But at the same time he's 83. He doesn't seem any more remarkable than others in their 80s.

Otherwise, he's still the same guy.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Is it sad for me to say I did have the chance to meet him at RI cc but actually chose not to?

I mean, don't get me wrong. While it's always nice to meet your heroes, I just feel like his time is coming to the end of the road and I hate to see him suffer from just trying to speak.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's kind of the reason why I chose to meet him - I've always wanted to, but always had the lingering concern in the back of my mind I would never get the opportunity. But I did, and I didn't want to pass it up. I could be a selfish butthole and say I wish he hadn't gotten to a point like this so I could converse with him a bit more, but I'm just grateful I got to see him in person, face-to-face, and thank him for playing an intregal part in inspiring me to become a puppeteer, which he thanked me for telling him.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
In
Is it sad for me to say I did have the chance to meet him at RI cc but actually chose not to?

I mean, don't get me wrong. While it's always nice to meet your heroes, I just feel like his time is coming to the end of the road and I hate to see him suffer from just trying to speak.
Yeah I've noticed he's been doing many cons lately. He still takes the time to draw Big Bird for fans. Again he's 83. But with his dystonia it's up and down. Sometimes he'll struggle more, sometimes he'll have more energy. It really depends. But either way he's still keeping active which is important. Still attending cons, still visiting the set, going to plays, drawing, making appearances with Oscar, public speaking, etc. He's slower but most people in their eighties are. He's essentially retired but I'm sure he'll be involved in the 50th anniversary with his fellow muppeteers. Also remember he's getting honoured at the Henson event this Spring.

Last edited: