And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Is all of this fighting real or tongue-in-cheek? I just can't tell anymore. :embarrassed: It still makes me feel weird what happened with me an that other member yesterday. There's something aside from me that's going on there, but I still feel sad about it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Eugh. Trump is actively trying to bring about the end of days. This is why I can't vote for extremist/activist Christians for president. Their endgame is to facilitate Armageddon. People like Michele Bachmann (and her allegedly gay husband who runs the anti-gay ministry). Almost NOBODY wants Trump to recognize Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel at this time. This is going to be seen as an act of war. This is also what a lot of Evangelical Christians want. This is so f***ing creepy. Trump supporters - your thoughts? (A great deal of respect from me is riding on your answer.)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Is all of this fighting real or tongue-in-cheek? I just can't tell anymore. :embarrassed: It still makes me feel weird what happened with me an that other member yesterday. There's something aside from me that's going on there, but I still feel sad about it.
Yeah, I'm getting a sense that some people are just trying to provoke others to see what they'll write.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Can we just change the name of this thread to liberals vs conservatives - welcome to 2017?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Can we just change the name of this thread to liberals vs conservatives - welcome to 2017?
I don't have much of a problem with conservatives. It's just that Trump and the Republican Party hardly resemble true conservatives - particularly that they've shattered the last taboo of sexual assault of a child is somehow okay now while congressional Democrats are still calling for the head of Al Franken for harassment of adults. Harassment and assault know no party, but how they're dealt with in 2017 is completely different. Republicans don't care as long as they retain their power. Dems want to make an example of anyone who does any of it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Before if this thread ends up getting the ax, since the sentiment seems to be going around, I want to put this out there as an example of how I changed from a homophobe when I was younger:

When I was a teenager, BEWITCHED was one of my favorite shows (I still enjoy it today, I just don't usually go out of my way to watch as much). I always had a preference for Dick York as the first Darrin for a number of different reasons: he was more animated and neurotic in his expressions and mannerisms, which made Darrin's reactions to whatever Samantha's family got him into all the more funny; Dick Sargent, while also a lanky and gangly guy like Dick York, lacked that aspect. But another reason for my preference for Dick York was because Dick Sargent was gay. I know it wasn't known at the time the series was in production, but it was already known when I discovered BEWITCHED (along with rumors of his death being the result of AIDS). Likewise, I loved Uncle Arthur because Paul Lynde was such a riot . . . then I found out that not only was Paul Lynde gay, but that it apparently was "common knowledge" that he was. See, because I had limited exposure to gay people, I never picked up on so-called "effeminiate mannerisms" or the "gay voice" stereotypes, so I never would have guessed - and when I found out, I felt bad because I felt like I couldn't be a fan of Paul anymore because of it. Even later, I remember TV Land did a documentary on homoerotic subtext in older shows, and apparently both BEWITCHED and I DREAM OF JEANNIE are really popular shows among the LGBTQIA community . . . and I couldn't fathom why. I remember celebrities like Bruce Vilanche talking about how BEWITCHED was a show about eccentric characters who don't quite fit in the world around them, but they couldn't care less, or Judy Gold talking about how she had a really big crush on Barbara Eden as a kid, even admitting, "I didn't know what was going on in my head, I just remember thinking she's really pretty, I like her." Not to mention all the comments about what a drag queen Endora is (admittedly, that I still don't see), or from peopel like Bruce and Carson Kresley talking about how hot Larry Hagman was.

Again, I was young, had very little knowledge about sex, sexuality, and the like - all I knew was what religion and Bush-era society said about gays, that they were an "evil cult" bent on taking over the world to make everyone gay . . . like I said, I'm not proud about it, but there was once a time where even I felt like this so-called "gay mafia" was pushing agendas and trying to shove their lifestyle down our throats . . . I even remember once making a comment in a conversation that, "I'm glad there's still some straight people left in the world." Yes, I actually said that in a conversation . . . and I'm not proud (especially considering the person I said it to had a gay relative). I think I may have even made some homophobic remarks (albeit in jest) when another gay MCer (DanDan, I believe) would flirt with me (which I believe was also in jest).

It was ignorance. Just plain ignorance. I can remember my earlier years here at MC where Jamie and I would often butt heads over differences of opinions - while, admittedly, that had nothing to do with his sexuality, I still credit years of actually getting to know and befriending him in helping open my eyes to just how wrong I (and a lot of people still are) was about the LGBTQIA community. Back then, when I would learn somebody I knew was in the closet, my reaction was devastation; today, when I learn somebody I know is gay (such as another longtime MCer whose friendship spans my entire time here), my reaction is I don't care one way or another, they're still my friends, and I still like them regardless if they're straight, gay, bi, whatever.

So, yeah. How stupid of me to think I could no longer be a fan of Paul Lynde because he was gay . . . just as stupid as Michelle Bubblehead Bachmann saying kids can't watch THE LION KING because a gay man (Elton John) did the music.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Wow, I see a lot of posts were deleted from earlier today. Which brings me to this. A couple of pages ago I posted this quote:

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley​

While many attacked the messenger (Buckley or me) none of you actually refuted the quote itself. And then it's as if today you went out and tried to prove the quote is true. For all the tolerance you all pretend to have, when it comes to anyone having a thought other than the leftist liberal views you possess, you show no tolerance. So having said that, I'm through with this thread. I've enjoyed the discussions I've had with a few of you. Very few of you, actually. But I hold no ill will. You are what you are. Stay true to yourself.

Good luck to you all. Merry Christmas and God bless us, everyone.