And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Wow, I see a lot of posts were deleted from earlier today. Which brings me to this. A couple of pages ago I posted this quote:

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley​

While many attacked the messenger (Buckley or me) none of you actually refuted the quote itself. And then it's as if today you went out and tried to prove the quote is true. For all the tolerance you all pretend to have, when it comes to anyone having a thought other than the leftist liberal views you possess, you show no tolerance. So having said that, I'm through with this thread. I've enjoyed the discussions I've had with a few of you. Very few of you, actually. But I hold no ill will. You are what you are. Stay true to yourself.

Good luck to you all. Merry Christmas and God bless us, everyone.
I totally gave my impression of the quote. I said that, while that can be true in some cases, particularly among some fringe folk in San Francisco, that quote could easily be flipped around to represent Texas conservatives. They live in a bubble where their ideas aren't challenged much either. I don't really get or agree with that quote. I don't see that as a partisan difference.
I also need to make a note about tolerance of other views. It really depends on exactly what that other view is. I have no tolerance for people who want to limit LGBTQ rights. That's not just another view. That's prejudice, and prejudice should never be respected or tolerated. I'm not saying that's what you're saying here, but it's what so many conservatives do. They conflate a bigoted view point with other simply different political perspectives. In other words: Not tolerating intolerance is not intolerance. That's a game so many religious right figures try to play in the media and it's dishonest.
I'm really sad you're leaving this thread. I really enjoy your insights. I've learned a lot from them. I thought we were heading to a good place with the quotes. Merp.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
BTW. What happened? I was gone since yesterday afternoon and all heck broke loose, I guess. I wish I could have helped. If I'd not been at work, I would have!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I see the pressure is really on Al Franken - and from his own people - to resign in the wake of all of the allegations against.

But Roy Moore on the other hand, he's still a good ol' boy, amIright? :stick_out_tongue:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I see the pressure is really on Al Franken - and from his own people - to resign in the wake of all of the allegations against.

But Roy Moore on the other hand, he's still a good ol' boy, amIright? :stick_out_tongue:
Al Franken is transitioning out of his job. The Democrats' strategy is to be the zero tolerance party when it comes to this kind of harassment and abuse while the Republicans and the religious right remain the party of pedophiles and hypocritical morality. I'll miss Franken, but he made his bed with his behavior (small as it seems in comparison to other allegations, it's still harassment and it is gross).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Al Franken is transitioning out of his job. The Democrats' strategy is to be the zero tolerance party when it comes to this kind of harassment and abuse while the Republicans and the religious right remain the party of pedophiles and hypocritical morality.
Yup. Again, as I said, this is an example of how the two parties are different: Democrats won't tolerate such misconduct from anybody, regardless of their party affiliation; Republicans will, so long as they're not Democrat.

Say a lot about both parties.

And lest we forget as far as the religious right is concerned, they don't see a problem with it, because as far as a lot of them are concerned, as long as a girl is old enough to have her time of the month (even as young as eleven or twelve), then they're pretty much old enough for sexual activity . . . and yes, they cite the Bible for this.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Yup. Again, as I said, this is an example of how the two parties are different: Democrats won't tolerate such misconduct from anybody, regardless of their party affiliation; Republicans will, so long as they're not Democrat.

Say a lot about both parties.

And lest we forget as far as the religious right is concerned, they don't see a problem with it, because as far as a lot of them are concerned, as long as a girl is old enough to have her time of the month (even as young as eleven or twelve), then they're pretty much old enough for sexual activity . . . and yes, they cite the Bible for this.
Just started clean, new thread now that this one seems to have been burned. The State of the World. I'll still come here too, but it seems its days are numbered.