You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I'll be honest,

Even as a kid, I was never a huge, huge fan of Land Before Time. Just never caught my eye.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well, I remember watching it probably at least once a week for the first seven years of my life, lol. So, it definitely holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. I think I always admired it's simplicity. It is sad though, what happened to Ducy's voice, and it does take away from the movie at times, but maybe because my little brother likes it so much I try not to think about it.
Until earlier this year, Land Before Time and An American Tale were the only Bluth movies i'd seen, until I saw that Prime and Hulu had Secret of Nimh and All Dogs Go to Heaven. I really loved ADGTH, and Nimh is one of my favorite animated movies now. I love how excessively dark his movies are. Anastasia was not his best work, but it had some beautiful scenes, and was certainly his best post 80s film.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
You ever notice how when it comes to the Sesame Street News skits with Don Music, the only song fans have ever tried editing in the news logo for is Mary Had a Bycicle and the others are just left alone?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever notice in a number of Don Bluth movies, Dom DeLuise usually voices the hero's sidekick, while Charles Nelson Reilly usually voices the villain's henchman?
And here's a similar one: ever notice throughout the 70s, a lot of secondary sitcom actors provided the voices for supporting characters?

Pat Buttram (Mr. Haney on GREEN ACRES) did voices in THE ARISTOCATS, ROBIN HOOD, THE RESCUERS, and THE FOX AND THE HOUND

George Lindsey (Goober on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW) did voices in THE ARISTOCATS, ROBIN HOOD, and THE RESCUERS

Carole Shelley and Monica Evans (the Pidgeon Sisters from THE ODD COUPLE) did voices in THE ARISTOCAT and ROBIN HOOD (Carole Shelley was also in HERCULES)

Nancy Kulp (Miss Hathaway on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and Hoppy's mom on SANFORD AND SON) voiced Frou-Frou in THE ARISTOCATS

John Fielder (more of a character actor) did voices in ROBIN HOOD, THE RESCUERS, THE FOX AND THE HOUND, and of course is perhaps best known as the voice of P-P-P-Piglet

And the interesting thing about both Rescuers movies as well as Aristocats was that another GREEN ACRES alum, Eva Gabor, provided voices in those movies as well.

I always felt like Don Bexley (Bubba from SANFORD AND SON) had a unique voice that would have been good for supporting Disney characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So in the old days at restaurants, you'd be hard pressed to get your server to actually refill your drink - really, it's like even if you shoved your near-empty glass in their faces and pointed out you need more, they still wouldn't grasp the message, you always had to wave or flag them down, and ask, "Could I have some more (drink), please?" And even so, they always acted like it was a big deal to refill your drink - some places would even charge you for refills if it was a certain drink that they didn't have on-hand, like a coffee, tea, soft drinks, whatever.

Of course, that was then, this is now, and now, it's like the exact opposite: sometimes they'll bring you another glass of drink even when your current glass is still full! And it's like they'll keep bringing you another glass of stuff even as your paying your check, which by that time, you're for it all to come spilling out both ends all over them because you've become an inflatable by that point. Then you have cases where you can't finish drinking because you're too full, then the servers act like you're an ungrateful jerk because of it.

So, it's like there's no middle ground here . . . the past was conserve your drink during your meal, because your chances of getting refills was slim; the present is run to the bathroom when you get home, because you've consumed five glasses of your beverage . . . what does the future hold? Maybe in the future, more restaurants will take the fast-food approach, and just have personal drink fountains at each table, that way, you are in control of your own drink consumption, and you cut out the middle man: just fill up your glass with ice, get whatever you want to drink, get as many refills as you want.

Oh, and no joke: I actually did have an experience at an Applebee's one time where the server brought me five glasses - finally had to take the fifth one to-go.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
They finally got around to having to-go cups for your drink. Makes sense. You paid for it, and if they can box up your food (does any place call it a "Doggie bag" anymore?), why not your drink?

Like you and Drtooth, I agree plain water is dull, tasteless, bland, boring, blah blah blah. Especially if you're going to a fancy restaurant, having a nice meal, and you're going to wash it down with...tap water! Yum!
Then there are others who are notoriously cheap and won't splurge for something that actually has color in it.

Thank God for unsweetened iced tea. No sugar, no carbonation, most places offer free refills, and a drink that enhances your dining pleasure more than plain water.

Plus the tannins in tea help with digestion as well.

A lot of places have that Coke Freestyle now, where you can get as little or as much as you want to drink (and plenty of sugar-free and/or noncarbonated options. So we can both smile).

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever notice in fiction, the slightest unsanitary thing found in restaurant immediately shuts it completely down on the spot? Never seen that work in real life: you usually have to alert a health inspector, they have to come in to inspect the place at their earliest convenience, and the only way the place "shuts down" is when the staff has to clean the place up to correct the violations. Even so, for a place to shut completely down and never reopen, it has to fail multiple inspections due to multiple violations - not just for a lone roach scurrying around, or one rodent hair found on the floor.