Will we get a Sesame Street TV Special to honor the 50th anniversary in 2019?

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Next year is A BIG YEAR for Sesame Street. Although the show had its problems in its finances, moved to HBO and had to strip the cast down a bit to almost Season 1-10 material...Sesame Street still continued on despite all of this.

So will we finally get a TV special spotlighting the 50th anniversary of the show?

I mean remember, due to the budget crisis, we never did receive one on the 40th anniversary and the 45th anniversary.

As fans of the show what do you think: Are we long overdue for a 50th anniversary TV special?

BEAR 2

Reaction score
We didn’t get anything like that for the 40th/45th but we got some other stuff like that beautiful book and some dvds and Caroll’s documentary came out soon after too (bonus?). If they’re smart, they’d save it and plan bigger things for the big 5-0. It makes far more sense and it’s a bigger milestone. So, I don’t know what is being planned but we know something is...the cast has hinted at it and I’m sure it will be great.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
As the older human cast members have stated, as well as Matt Vogel (via Below the Frame) they are planning the 50th celebration, and they've started pitching and reviewing premises for a special.

They start filming season 50 soon (probably later this year), so definitely stay tuned for any hints or announcements when that happens.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I don't know what we'll get, but I'm sure there will be a special treat most of us will enjoy.

Then there will be the rotten apples complaining that they didn't like the gift they received.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was talking a little about this in the "you know what...?" thread, but after somebody suggested there be a medley of Sesame Street songs with a title like "Evolution of Sesame Street", I've been thinking that would be a good title for an anniversary special, documentary, DVD, or whatever. I'd like to see an audio release (digital would probably be the way to go) compiling many versions of a single song that's had many performances over the years. Or maybe Sesame Workshop could do something like this for one of their clip "collections" they put on YouTube. Or maybe an "Evolution of..." collection for its characters. Maybe a single release that's like the Best of Friends release, only focusing on clips that clearly show a timeline of the characters, or maybe something like this (or the music concept) could be a go-to bonus feature for the DVDs of 2019.

But for the big special/documentary/DVD idea I thought of, a title like "Evolution of Sesame Street" or "Sesame Street Keeping With the Times" would be good, instead of necessarily including the clips we would expect to see, they could show clips that are a product of when they came out. Season one clips would include the original dopey Big Bird, orange Oscar, gray green Grover, orange-and-purple-shirt violet-nosed Ernie, maybe Matt Robinson as Gordon, and maybe Buddy and Jim, the early 1970s could also include Roosevelt Franklin, yellow-eyed Snuffy (I think his "imaginary" status lasted too long for what I have in mind, blue-nosed Herry, and clips with Molly, Rafael, and Tom, the late-1970s could be represented with some disco tunes, and so on. And there could be parodies of things that lost popularity shortly after their Sesame spoofs and clips with celebrity guests who were already near their 15th minute of fame.

Maybe it'd be a little audience-alienating, but it's something I'd like to see.