The New New Quote Thread

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I listen to that episode just to hear some opinions on the special, and it reminded me completely of why I don't enjoy those guys. Jarrod is obviously doing a bit being unpleasant, but the other two, ugh.
Maybe they're so good at their bit it's hard to tell that it's a bit. :wink:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
JD Hansel: Cookie Monster here much to Elmo's surprise does NOT share his cookies.
Steve Swanson: Cookie Monster's move is not sharing cookies, it's eating them. It's eating everything actually, but he isn't called Sharing Monster. This right here, this is the new Veggie Monster. Cookie was selfish, he was passionate, this is one of the things Louis Henry Mitchell said to me that I love, Cookie Monster embodies passion. He's passionate about cookies, that's what he wants. It's his signature move, it's not sharing cookies, it's eating them and we completely got away from that here.
JD: But he wants other people to share in his passion, and that's the point. We tend to say Cookie Monster will do anything for a cookie, but that's not true. He won't be mean to you for the sake of getting a cookie. If you have a cookie and you won't give it him, he will beg and plead like a puppy dog, but he's gonna attack you for the cookie.
Steve: You're absolutely right about that.
JD: He's good and kind in his cookie consumption. So it makes sense that they'd wanna move the character in the direction of more kindness and kindness for most of us, and for most of us it means sharing, it means doing good onto others. That's normally what kindness means.
Steve: Kindness racket, I swear.
JD: I know. You're really upset that Sesame Street's emphasizing kindness, cause you're an old person.
Steve: I mean let's not teach children about letters, numbers and reading and all the stuff that was the original mission to get kids ready for school. No, kindness is more important.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
FELIX: Oscar, don't you think I'm a human being?
OSCAR: You keep going back and forth.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
JD Hansel: I don't know why the songs in this special are bad, I think they could have thrown in another public domain Christmas song or just recycle something from one of the old Christmas specials. This poppy stuff is just useless.
Steve Swanson: Well actually, I'm gonna disagree with you here JD. Now I didn't like a lot of the songs in here, in fact the only one that was marginally catchy was the Try a Little Kindness song, but at the very least, and this is just my personal taste, but at least we seem to be done with the idea of every song having to be this urban or hip-hop thing. I love me some Kevin Clash, but under the rein of Kevin Clash, everything must be hip-hop and urban. And we seem to be done with that. Now none of this music is good, but it's better in my opinion than what we spent the last 10, 15 years doing on Sesame Street.
JD: Yeah, you're right, I gotta grant you that one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know a lot of the music on SST was very urban and hip-hop in flavor for a while there, but I never really thought of it as being Kevin Clash's influence so much as it felt like SST, as always, keeping up with the times. A lot of the music in the beginning, as they mentioned on BTF, had a Tin Pan Alley kind of sound to it, yes, but even so, as the 70s progressed, there was quite a bit of disco music on the show; likewise, as the 80s progressed, there was a lot of synthy 80s pop music; 90s had a lot of sub-genres of music with tropical vibes like ska and calypso, and of course, not only did the show have a lot of that kind of music, but even the theme song was redone in a calypso beat. Hip-hop and urban flare music has been trendy for quite a number of years, so I think SST was going to reflect that in its music whether Kevin had any influence over that or not - SST has always kept up with the times for the benefit of their contemporary preschool audiences. Not to mention, Sesame Street is an urban, inner city street, so I mean, how can you not expect a little bit of urban influence in its atmosphere?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Yeah, Steve thinks just because Kevin was co-executive producer, he had influence on the music.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I kind of interpreted that a little as "Kevin is a black man, therefore is into hip-hop" when I heard it.

I should give Steve more credit that that, though. Even if he once asked if a female author is called an "authoress."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Same here, but I got to thinking I was reading too much into it.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Even if he once asked if a female author is called an "authoress."
Please tell me what podcast that's from, cause that sounds so funny.
JD Hansel: You probably also had this thought: Why are all the wide shots done really nicely on the real set, but all the closeups are done with crappy greenscreen?
Steve Swanson: Right, yes! That was another thing.
JD: What happened? Like who says "Well, we have time to do the wides, but for all the closeups which will require all of the same performers to be here, we'll do it in a different place for no reason. That'll be fun." Maybe it was because of Caroll being Big Bird, they wanted to shoot the non-Big Bird stuff elsewhere, but that doesn't excuse this because, Oscar was also done in front of a greenscreen for the Crankymas.
Steve: It does seem very weird, and I noticed that too.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't remember the particular one, but the interview was with Max Stein and her Richard Hunt book / zine.

It's not really that funny, so much as it his sexist and ignorant.