You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Reminds me of that Hey Arnold episode where Helga takes Arnold, Gerald and Phoebe for a dinner for four at the French restaurant just to find out it's the wrong one and Helga has Nadine bring in cockroaches to get it shut down.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's one of the examples I was thinking of.

There's also an episode of SEINFELD where Kramer tries to get a chicken restaurant shut down because their giant neon chicken outside made his whole apartment glow red, but it instantly shut down after Jerry shook off a wet hat made of rat hair inside the place.

Another example that I was thinking of was a plot device from MOUSEHUNT, where a cockroach manages to slips into Nathan Lane's swanky restaurant, and the mayor accidentally ends up eating half of it, causing him to go into shock and die; place was closed instantly. Also didn't help reporters happened to be there as the whole thing unfolded.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if TV Tropes has a page for shutting places down over slight violations, or if TV Tropes needs such a page.

I wonder if the "shutting down over a minor violation" would apply to the Newhart episode This Probably is Condemned, in which after the health inspector inspects the inn, a nervous Kirk accidentally draws attention to the fact that there's a cafe next door (when he's afraid of the inspector coming over and shutting it down), and in Kirk's next scene, he says that when the inspector came in he said it was a disgrace and an eyesore and immediately shut it down until it was brought up to code, with a list of all violations.

I'm going to spoil the ending here (not sure how many people here would care in this case, but at least I just put in a spoiler warning so you can skip the rest of this post), but it turns out that Kirk had lied and the place had never been condemned, not sure how much of it was a lie (did the inspector really express disgust with how the place looked? Did he give Kirk a list of violations and time to bring it up to code without actually shutting it down on the spot?), but I wonder if the circumstances of that episode would have actually gotten the place shut down right away.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think I may have asked about this on TV Tropes once before . . . y'know, back when the staff didn't act like a bunch of jerks who would crack down on you for even the slightest infraction?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Tv tropes always makes me laugh.... Though I never would have thought the staff there were jerks. :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know what bee got up their boxers, but yeah, it got to a point where they'd pounce on you for any minor infraction, then hold it against you . . . like when I got banned, their records showed I had made some three or four thousand contributions to the site over a three year period of time (yeah, even I'm astounded by that - TV Tropes really was addictive) . . . but they were more upset over a small handful of mistakes I made over that same amount of time - despite the fact I not only learned from many of those mistakes, but even corrected as many of them as I could. Didn't matter. They felt I was unfit to contribute to the wiki any further.

And there's one staffer in particular who's such a jerk to tropers that Encyclopedia Dramatic actually has an article about what a jerk he is. No foolin'.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why i'm afraid to edit anything other than minor things, like fixing typos and things like that.
Wikipedia has this function where it automatically blocks your edits if it detects that you are vandalizing an article. I know because i've tried to vandalize articles before, lol. But maybe TV Tropes needs a function like that, so the staff can stop worrying so much about every little problem.

Come to think of it, I haven't been on that site in a long time. I'm gonna go check it out now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It also doesn't help that TV Tropes became inconsistent with their own rules, but act like it's the tropers who are inconsistent with the rules, not them. Like for example, here's one infraction they reprimanded me for, but apparently otherwise have no other problem with: I once noted that something became a Memetic Mutation because of Nostalgia Critic, but the staff deleted it because they said it was a "Shoe-Horned Example," and therefore was not a real example . . . but if you browse through it enough, you'll find other examples of how other things have become Memetic Mutations because of Nostalgia Critic, so I don't know why they had an issue with me listing something NC made into a meme when there's plenty of other examples throughout the site.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It also doesn't help that TV Tropes became inconsistent with their own rules, but act like it's the tropers who are inconsistent with the rules, not them. Like for example, here's one infraction they reprimanded me for, but apparently otherwise have no other problem with: I once noted that something became a Memetic Mutation because of Nostalgia Critic, but the staff deleted it because they said it was a "Shoe-Horned Example," and therefore was not a real example . . . but if you browse through it enough, you'll find other examples of how other things have become Memetic Mutations because of Nostalgia Critic, so I don't know why they had an issue with me listing something NC made into a meme when there's plenty of other examples throughout the site.
Reminds me of the classic song by Yes, "Starship Troper". 8)