TV Tropes

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I dunno. Anytime they shift their gears like this and you call it to their attention, they're always like, "No, you're wrong, this was always part of our rules and always will be."

newsmanfan

Reaction score
I'm rarely there, and have never posted or edited on the site. Sorry one of the mods is a jerk, Snowthy.

I was happily surprised recently to discover that someone on TV Tropes recommended two of my Muppet fics.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
A couple things I've read at TV Tropes that I disagree with (I think most are cases of "Never Trust a Trailer"):

The page for the recently-canceled short-lived Me, Myself & I says that it was promoted as a comedy as opposed to a dramady, which might have helped hurt ratings, but I feel like the show is exactly what I expected from the commercials.

And for The Goldbergs, it says that the first season was heavily promoted as focusing on the '80s as opposed to the decade just being the setting/more in the background and that after the first season it would focus a lot more on the pop culture of the decade like the early promos made it out to be. Now this is a show that I've only recently become a fan of, but after watching the majority of the series, I feel like the first season and later seasons have the same level of '80s references/focus. Maybe the later seasons seem to have a little more episodes based around a movie or television show (it says that each season has a movie-based episode, but I feel most seasons have had multiple movie-based episodes, maybe some heavily reference movies differently than others, you could argue that the first season had multiple movie-based episodes - the main movie-based episode of the season revolved around Goonies, but there's also the episode heavily involving Poltergeist, though I don't think the plot parralells the movie).

Also, it seems like there's some confusion regarding "First Installment Wins". At first I thought it meant fans like the first installment better, then I clicked on the page and saw that it meant that the first installment is usually the most heavily referenced/spoofed in pop culture, then I saw it on a number of YMMV pages that listed it as if it was what I originally thought. I actually thought I was wrong before realizing that people tend to miss the point of that trope (and in some cases I feel the sequels are better-liked by fans), when putting it on YMMV pages.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
A couple things I've read at TV Tropes that I disagree with (I think most are cases of "Never Trust a Trailer"):

The page for the recently-canceled short-lived Me, Myself & I says that it was promoted as a comedy as opposed to a dramady, which might have helped hurt ratings, but I feel like the show is exactly what I expected from the commercials.

And for The Goldbergs, it says that the first season was heavily promoted as focusing on the '80s as opposed to the decade just being the setting/more in the background and that after the first season it would focus a lot more on the pop culture of the decade like the early promos made it out to be. Now this is a show that I've only recently become a fan of, but after watching the majority of the series, I feel like the first season and later seasons have the same level of '80s references/focus. Maybe the later seasons seem to have a little more episodes based around a movie or television show (it says that each season has a movie-based episode, but I feel most seasons have had multiple movie-based episodes, maybe some heavily reference movies differently than others, you could argue that the first season had multiple movie-based episodes - the main movie-based episode of the season revolved around Goonies, but there's also the episode heavily involving Poltergeist, though I don't think the plot parralells the movie).

Also, it seems like there's some confusion regarding "First Installment Wins". At first I thought it meant fans like the first installment better, then I clicked on the page and saw that it meant that the first installment is usually the most heavily referenced/spoofed in pop culture, then I saw it on a number of YMMV pages that listed it as if it was what I originally thought. I actually thought I was wrong before realizing that people tend to miss the point of that trope (and in some cases I feel the sequels are better-liked by fans), when putting it on YMMV pages.
In my opinion, Me, Myself, and I should’ve just finished airing the remaining episodes and then get removed from the schedule.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't even really know how TV Tropes can be considered a "snowflake" site, especially considering the staff had been really implementing a strict no complaining rule in my waning days there . . . which is really odd, because one of the things that lured me to TV Tropes in the first place was how cynical, snide, and even downright sarcastic their pages could be. "No, no, we're not like that anymore, we're a non-complainy wiki," is what they were saying.

But in the grand scheme of things, as I mentioned before, the staff was really getting inconsistent with their rules after a while . . . then blaming us tropers for not staying on top of the rules, and coming down on your for even the slightest infraction. As I said, their records showed I had made some 3 or 4,000 contributions over a span of three years (this includes creating and writing entire pages for works and tropes and such), but they were more put out with a handful of mistakes I made during that same span of time, regardless that I was aware of most of those mistakes, and worked on correcting them. Matter of fact, this is basically what one of my final conversations with the staff was like when they were basically reciting all of the mistakes they saw I had made over the years (not word-for-word, mind you, but the general gist):

ME: As I have explained to you repeatedly, yes, I am aware that I had made these mistakes in the past, but as you can see, once I learn of my mistakes, I go back and correct them to the best of my ability, and I also avoid making these same mistakes as I continue to edit the wiki. It seems to me that if I've made these many contributions over the years, you would take that into consideration, rather than zeroing in on a few mistakes I've made here and there that I've since been working on fixing.
STAFF: Yeah, well, it seems to us you know nothing about our rules, so we think it's best you just stay banned.
ME: Then fine, be that way.