Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
It is out of the idolatrous dotings of the old Egyptians upon broiled ibis and roasted river horse, that you see the mummies of those creatures in their huge bake-houses the pyramids.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
No, when I go to sea, I go as a simple sailor, right before the mast, plumb down into the forecastle, aloft there to the royal masthead.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
True, they rather order me about some, and make me jump from spar to spar, like a grasshopper in a May meadow.

Well, since it's clear nothing will ever change, that our accomplishment of respecting and accepting one another despite differences was all for naught, and that all hope is lost, I'm done with this thread, and bringing back something I said a long time ago:

At least whale hunting is still illegal.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
And more than all, if just previous to putting your hand in the tar-pot, you have been lording it as a country schoolmaster, making the tallest boys stand in awe of you.

Divine Intervention
Gabriel believed Moby Dick was his Shaker god.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The transition is a keen one, I assure you, from a schoolmaster to a sailor, and requires a strong decoction of Seneca and the Stoics to enable you to grin and bear it.*

*The Roman philosopher, dramatist, and statesman Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 B.C. - A.D. 65) was an adherent of Stoicism, a Greek and Roman philosophical school that advocated quietude through the control of the passions. Seneca calmly committed suicide at the order of the emperor Nero, his former pupil.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
It touches one's sense of honour, particularly if you come of an old established family in the land, the Van Rensselaers, or Randolphs, or Hadicanutes.

And miss out on Moby Dick? Surely not!
Not because of Moby Dick.