Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The act of paying is perhaps the most uncomfortable infliction that the two orchard thieves entailed upon us.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The urbane activity with which a man receives money is really marvelous, considering that we so earnestly believe money to be the root of all earthly ills, and that on no account can a monied man enter heaven.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Finally, I always go to sea as a sailor, because of the wholesome exercise and pure air of the forecastle deck.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
For as in this world, head winds are far more prevalent than winds from astern (that is, if you never violate the Pythagorean maxim*), so for the most part the Commodore on the quarter-deck gets his atmosphere at second-hand from the sailors on the forecastle.

*Not to eat beans.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
In much the same way do the commonalty lead their leaders in many other things, at the same time that the leaders little suspect it.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But wherefore it was that after having repeatedly smelt the sea as a merchant sailor, I should now take it into my head to go on a whaling voyage; this the invisible police officer of the Fates, who has the constant surveillance of me, and secretly dogs me, and influences me in some unaccountable way -- he can better answer than anyone else.