The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Save for a brief cameo from that Malcolm guy . . . yay! Another new episode without the pointless skits and unnecessary additional castmembers!

http://channelawesome.com/horton-hears-a-who-nostalgia-critic/

That being said, let's be honest . . . HORTON HEARS A WHO! was popular for one reason, and one reason only: JoJo the token emo teen. He's the only reason this movie was popular.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
That being said, let's be honest . . . HORTON HEARS A WHO! was popular for one reason, and one reason only: JoJo the token emo teen. He's the only reason this movie was popular.
Yeah, he's honestly the only part I remember. Say what you will about The Lorax movie but at least it had some personality.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I will say about Horton, and I've said this before, that it's further proof, IMHO, that Steve Carell is a much better voice actor than he is a live action actor, because it seems like he brings a certain range of emotion and connection to characters he voices, that his live action characters never have, his live action characters are always so bland, deadpan, wooden, emotionless, and robotic, and really makes me wonder how he continued to get so much work for the longest time there.

mr3urious

Reaction score
One thing I will say about Horton, and I've said this before, that it's further proof, IMHO, that Steve Carell is a much better voice actor than he is a live action actor, because it seems like he brings a certain range of emotion and connection to characters he voices, that his live action characters never have, his live action characters are always so bland, deadpan, wooden, emotionless, and robotic, and really makes me wonder how he continued to get so much work for the longest time there.
On the flipside, this was Jim Carrey's first (and so far only) voice acting role, and it left much to be desired compared to his live-action roles. I agree with Drtooth in that Fox could have saved a lot of money by hiring Matt Frewer instead, but as we've seen before, big-name celebrity recognition trumps all else.

Also, that random hand-drawn anime sequence doesn't look a thing like real anime. They really should have commissioned Toei or something if they couldn't get it right themselves.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, again, that was the real reason we ended up with Jason Lee (mis)cast as Dave and other big-name celebrities voicing the Chipmunks and Chipettes in those Fox movies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, I'm curious about something . . . why is is that halfway through the newer reviews, we dissolve to the logo, fade to black, fade back to the logo, then dissolve back to the review? It almost feels like leading in and out of a commercial break if this were a TV, but it otherwise seems . . . pointless and confusing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Oh, I'm curious about something . . . why is is that halfway through the newer reviews, we dissolve to the logo, fade to black, fade back to the logo, then dissolve back to the review? It almost feels like leading in and out of a commercial break if this were a TV, but it otherwise seems . . . pointless and confusing.
Because that's where the commercial break is placed. Guess you have all your ad blockers on like I do.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah, it's for the ad break.

I don't really watch the reviews these days, but I wish he'd come up with a smoother transition; they're kinda clunky.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because that's where the commercial break is placed. Guess you have all your ad blockers on like I do.
You, sir, would be correct.

Though I know there was a review or two that included an integrated commercial for a denim company, where Doug keeps boasting, "You can have my *** in jean form!" Yeah, no thanks!

mr3urious

Reaction score
D'oh! I forgot about Carrey's 2nd VA role, which was Mr. Scrooge('s corpse) in Imagemovers' A Christmas Carol. Really goes to show how memorable that one was when I forgot it the first time. :stick_out_tongue: