Segments that were possibly taped on the same day

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Something still isn’t right though.
To put it simple.

The insert of Ray and Elmo has the former wearing a black coat and red shirt, which appeared as early as season 27. The alphabet song has him wearing the same clothing.

The "Two Princes" song has Chris wearing a purple shirt. In the alphabet song, he's wearing the same shirt. The two Princes song debuted in season 27, indicating that the Ray and Elmo insert actually did debut in season 27 because, as I previously mentioned, Ray and Chris are both wearing the same clothing in both the alphabet song and their individual inserts that I mentioned.

Tony Bennett is wearing a tan jacket in that song, as well as his individual insert when he sings "Little Things" which also debuted in season 27.

Mikaela, I'm gonna give you some helpful advice. When a segment is listed as "earliest known appearance", that doesn't necessarily mean it's the first. There are some skits that do say first, but that's listed when it's officially known to be the first debut. If you're trying to figure out when a certain skit debuted, it helps to pay attention to the Anything Muppets that appear, how the main characters look in terms of puppet design, and what the human cast members/guest stars are wearing if the latter ones appeared in other inserts.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Also, keep in mind - that Ray Charles alphabet bit was originally done as a solo and they did the whole "Put Down the Duckie" thing of shooting celebs as they came to the studio or their little cameos; hence why all the celebrities in that version are from season 27.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
To put it simple.

The insert of Ray and Elmo has the former wearing a black coat and red shirt, which appeared as early as season 27. The alphabet song has him wearing the same clothing.

The "Two Princes" song has Chris wearing a purple shirt. In the alphabet song, he's wearing the same shirt. The two Princes song debuted in season 27, indicating that the Ray and Elmo insert actually did debut in season 27 because, as I previously mentioned, Ray and Chris are both wearing the same clothing in both the alphabet song and their individual inserts that I mentioned.

Tony Bennett is wearing a tan jacket in that song, as well as his individual insert when he sings "Little Things" which also debuted in season 27.

Mikaela, I'm gonna give you some helpful advice. When a segment is listed as "earliest known appearance", that doesn't necessarily mean it's the first. There are some skits that do say first, but that's listed when it's officially known to be the first debut. If you're trying to figure out when a certain skit debuted, it helps to pay attention to the Anything Muppets that appear, how the main characters look in terms of puppet design, and what the human cast members/guest stars are wearing if the latter ones appeared in other inserts.
That’s great advice, thank you.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Also, keep in mind - that Ray Charles alphabet bit was originally done as a solo and they did the whole "Put Down the Duckie" thing of shooting celebs as they came to the studio or their little cameos; hence why all the celebrities in that version are from season 27.
Oh, I did hear there was a solo version with just Ray doing his part. I don't recall if I ever saw it or not, but it'd be cool to see it surface one day.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have seen that recently. And it is interesting how currently there's very few known instances of multiple segments being taped on the same day (and most of them seem to be from 1989).

Oh, I did hear there was a solo version with just Ray doing his part. I don't recall if I ever saw it or not, but it'd be cool to see it surface one day.
The version with just Ray Charles appears on the DVD Alphabet Songs. It actually shows him singing the alphabet a second time after the first time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The version with just Ray Charles appears on the DVD Alphabet Songs. It actually shows him singing the alphabet a second time after the first time.
Ah, nice! I haven't been too caught up with recent DVDs, but I might just pick up that DVD to see Ray's solo version.

I definitely think I might have seen his solo one at least two times as a kid. Been a long time....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking at the list of known taping dates, I see that I've been wrong all these years about the Kermit and Elmo segments on Happy and Sad and Loud and Quiet being taped on the same day, I guess they just used the same characters and background (I wonder if Elmo's appearance on Sesame Street News was done on either of those days like I thought). The happy and sad one was taped in January 1986 while the Loud and Quiet one was taped in October 1986 (so they're not even from the same season, unless "Happy and Sad" didn't air until after the season was completed).

Schfifty

Reaction score
Here's a possibility. Judging by Gina's sweater, anyone want to bet that this episode (#2424)...

...might have been taped on the same day as The Best of Ernie and Bert?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not necessarily. The human cast members seemed to go through a period in the 80s where they often wore the same outfits all the time.