What made you roll your eyes today thread?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Netflix is making another live action anime adaption. :rolleyes:

Full Metal Alchemist.

I'm already waiting to sit back and hear complaints about the characters being "white washed" because I already know it's going to consist of Caucasian actors playing non-caucasian roles.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Like how Rooney Mara regrets playing a white-washed Tiger Lily in that PAN movie.

I mean . . . the filmmakers' logic was astounding: they couldn't bring in an actual Native American to play Tiger Lily because then they would get accused of racial stereotypes against Native Americans, so they figure to white-wash so it'd be less offensive . . . then turns out white-washing her was just as offensive.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It's a lose-lose either way with society.

Also, I jumped the gun. Turns out the movie is actually going to be from Japan with English subtitles. I wonder if Netflix is only doing that just because of all the flack they got on their live action adaption of "Death Note."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's a lose-lose either way with society.
Yup.

I remember when Bob Newhart came to my town years ago and he began his old Driving Instructor routine, a lady in the audience actually heckled him for making it a woman driver, because it was sexist. "Oh, okay. Well, it doesn't have to be a woman driver. It can be a Chinese driver," he said before making a bunch of stereotypical-sounding Chinese gibberish, "I can do that for eight minutes if you'd prefer." Guess it's better to be racist than sexist. :wink: :stick_out_tongue:

Don't worry, he still the routine with the woman driver, and it was still just as funny.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaand another disc from my library scratched. :rolleyes:

This time, Fantasia.